Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals please make History next Sunday against the Browns.
No Division in any sport has a record where all teams have an above .500 record.

If the Bengals win in the last game [exhibition game] of the season all four teams will finish above .500.

Above . 500, no - but there are two divisions where the last-place team finished . 500 exactly: In the 1991 AL West, the Angels finished last at 81–81, and in the 2005 NL East, the Nationals finished last at 81–81. library(Lahman)
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
You have to root for them for sure but how many draft spots will they move up if they lose? I don’t expect to see Chase or Higgins or any other vets that are even slightly hurt so it might have a pre season feel to it. If that’s the case then a loss and moving up in the draft wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I can’t really care about being the first division with all teams above .500 when they will be the only ones out of the postseason.

They are out of the playoffs and have clinched last place so this week is the one game where I won’t be disappointed at all if they lose.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:51 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: You have to root for them for sure but how many draft spots will they move up if they lose?  I don’t expect to see Chase or Higgins or any other vets that are even slightly hurt so it might have a pre season feel to it.  If that’s the case then a loss and moving up in the draft wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I can’t really care about being the first division with all teams above .500 when they will be the only ones out of the postseason.

They are out of the playoffs and have clinched last place so this week is the one game where I won’t be disappointed at all if they lose.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqWmT1kTXg8-5DZ7x6t21...Q&usqp=CAU]
Reply/Quote
Not happening. We'll score 20+ in the first half of the last game. Then, for some reason, we will stall and not score anymore for the rest of the game and the defense will allow for big plays. All I ask is no one get hurt in the last game of the season. Let's see what the 2nd and 3rd string can do.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:51 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: You have to root for them for sure but how many draft spots will they move up if they lose?  I don’t expect to see Chase or Higgins or any other vets that are even slightly hurt so it might have a pre season feel to it.  If that’s the case then a loss and moving up in the draft wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I can’t really care about being the first division with all teams above .500 when they will be the only ones out of the postseason.

Those games we recently won with Browning likely knock us out of contention for the #1 dlineman, Newton.  

I was slammed by many, maybe rightfully so, when I said we should be ok with losing games, not rooting for losses - just being ok with them, after Burrow went down and with this terrible defense as we would not go anywhere even if we made the playoffs, so we could draft serious difference makers.  If Newton is half of Aaron Donald he would have been a major upgrade for us.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:06 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Not happening. We'll score 20+ in the first half of the last game. Then, for some reason, we will stall and not score anymore for the rest of the game and the defense will allow for big plays. All I ask is no one get hurt in the last game of the season. Let's see what the 2nd and 3rd string can do.

[Image: 1da8aaa3-2dc8-4afc-9fcc-69c86b5c3e11_text.gif]
Reply/Quote
It’ll be a fitting end to the season. Winning a meaningless game against a team resting up for their playoff run, all the while further hurting draft position.

At this point they’ve missed out on the top TE, top 2 receivers, top 3 Olineman, top defensive tackle. There will be cb’s late in the teens, but we’ve likely missed out on most of the top talent in positions of need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 08:28 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: No Division in any sport has a record where all teams have an above .500 record.

If the Bengals win in the last game [exhibition game] of the season all four teams will finish above .500.

Above . 500, no - but there are two divisions where the last-place team finished . 500 exactly: In the 1991 AL West, the Angels finished last at 81–81, and in the 2005 NL East, the Nationals finished last at 81–81. library(Lahman)

Correct, that Angels team was the best last place team in history.

When you had Finley, Langston and Abbott, that's basically 50 wins right there from 3 starters.

Their offense was horribly anemic that year.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: It’ll be a fitting end to the season. Winning a meaningless game against a team resting up for their playoff run, all the while further hurting draft position.

At this point they’ve missed out on the top TE, top 2 receivers, top 3 Olineman, top defensive tackle. There will be cb’s late in the teens, but we’ve likely missed out on most of the top talent in positions of need.

It's New Year's: don't you have family or a hobby to do instead of languish around here with negativity?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:00 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqWmT1kTXg8-5DZ7x6t21...Q&usqp=CAU]

The Aliens and Pawn Shop channel?

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: It’ll be a fitting end to the season. Winning a meaningless game against a team resting up for their playoff run, all the while further hurting draft position.

Right now we're holding the 16th pick. Seattle 15th (8-8), Denver 14th (8-8), and New Orleans 13th (8-8) are the ones ahead of us. Seattle and New Orleans will play for a WC spot next Sunday, so I think that we can jump some spots if we lose. 
Reply/Quote

(01-01-2024, 01:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Those games we recently won with Browning likely knock us out of contention for the #1 dlineman, Newton.  

I was slammed by many, maybe rightfully so, when I said we should be ok with losing games, not rooting for losses - just being ok with them, after Burrow went down and with this terrible defense as we would not go anywhere even if we made the playoffs, so we could draft serious difference makers.  If Newton is half of Aaron Donald he would have been a major upgrade for us.

(01-01-2024, 01:55 PM)Bengalion Wrote: Right now we're holding the 16th pick. Seattle 15th (8-8), Denver 14th (8-8), and New Orleans 13th (8-8) are the ones ahead of us. Seattle and New Orleans will play for a WC spot next Sunday, so I think that we can jump some spots if we lose. 

So let me get this straight my Bengal Brothers, Do you prefer the Bengals go 8-9 instead of 9-8 ????
Reply/Quote
I don't see much benefit to winning. We are now out of it, and I'd rather have the draft position. It's just one game, at this point, to think this way.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 02:01 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: So let me get this straight my Bengal Brothers, Do you prefer the Bengals go 8-9 instead of 9-8 ????

Absolutely.  What if the difference is getting a guy like Newton who could be our Aaron Donald for the next 5 years.  The last game means nothing, I want a Super Bowl in 2024 and would have been fine losing other games without Burrow.  This draft class is solid, we could use a couple high level contributors next season and they will be the core of our team in a couple of years.  

Reply/Quote
I can live with a win or loss. The Bengals should use this game to prep for next year. Maybe evaluate some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers. I would not start or play any player with an injury.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's New Year's: don't you have family or a hobby to do instead of languish around here with negativity?

You’ve posted (a lot) more today than I have as this is only my second post …..

So whose been languishing around here again.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Correct, that Angels team was the best last place team in history.

When you had Finley, Langston and Abbott, that's basically 50 wins right there from 3 starters.

Their offense was horribly anemic that year.

Angels are my baseball team and my 2nd favorite sports team after the Bengals. I really appreciate you bringing this up after the Bengals were eliminated yesterday.

I’m already down so you can stop kicking me now!
Reply/Quote
And let’s not forget a win would not only cost us spots in the first round. But all following rounds.

Reply/Quote
Still, some things to play for and some players may be trying to reach contract escalators.

Some things to play for:
Trey is battling to lead the league in sacks (BEAT TJ WATT)
Joe Mixon is 77 yards away from a 1,000-yard season
Tee needs 8 catches to break 50
Jake needs 220 passing yards to break 2,000
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Those games we recently won with Browning likely knock us out of contention for the #1 dlineman, Newton.  

Yeah. It was cool to win those 3 games and still feel like we were in it. Losing to Pittsburgh made the postseason very unlikely, and now the wins just hurt our draft position. It is what it is at this point... At the end of the day, I'm glad they showed heart and kept pushing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote