Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals releasing AJ Hawk
Pretty easy to see coming after Dansby was signed to fill the aging vet LB role. At least the FO learned their lesson and only signed Dansby to a 1 year deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 12:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hardly knew ya... and neither did opposing Offenses Ninja

LMAO...Nice
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt sleep on Dawson.
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with the release. Hawk is a good guy but not a starter. His departure allows one of the younger guys get a chance. Many of us are high on Dawson (myself included) and then we have Flowers who has also received praise.

I expect a LB to be drafted, but not until the later rounds. Think they want to see Dawson this year over a new player.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
There really wasn't a spot for Hawk barring injury.

If all LBs are healthy, I'm predicting the following 6 LBs once Burfict returns:
Burfict, Maualuga, Dansby, Rey, Dawson, Flowers

DiManche/Roach/rookie will play the first 3 games until Burfict is back. They could also stick on the roster if there is a significant LB injury, but Taylor Mays could also take that spot once he's back from 4-game suspension.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not really surprised that he was cut. Offered us very little.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I figured they would at least keep him through Burficts suspension.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think he is a long shot to make the roster.

I think you undervalue his special teams contributions. When they are looking at the 52 or 53 guy on the roster he could be the guy because of that and his versatility. I'm not saying I like him, but he fits our MO for the back end of the roster type of guy.
Reply/Quote
I also think with how the league is evolving that having a set "4-3" is kind of overrated now. It feels like most teams play a straight up nickel defense with the slot corner being more of a hybrid guy in the mold of a Shawn Williams, etc. Occasionally you need the thumper in there at LB, but most times you're looking for an athlete who can cover and make plays. I could see them bringing in another of the Safety/LB types to take his place. Possibly not a game changer, but someone later on who offers a lot of versatility.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 02:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Don't forget Taylor Mays. They may be looking at him as the 6th backer while Burffict is out.

Doubt it, considering Taylor Mays is suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Burfict will be done with his suspension before Mays is.

(04-26-2016, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think he is a long shot to make the roster.

Above reason is why I think he actually has a decent chance at making the roster. They signed him knowing he'll be suspended for the first four games, I don't think they do that if they didn't want to keep him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 03:11 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I wouldnt sleep on Dawson.

Me either. I bet he's a snorer.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 04:48 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I also think with how the league is evolving that having a set "4-3" is kind of overrated now. It feels like most teams play a straight up nickel defense with the slot corner being more of a hybrid guy in the mold of a Shawn Williams, etc. Occasionally you need the thumper in there at LB, but most times you're looking for an athlete who can cover and make plays. I could see them bringing in another of the Safety/LB types to take his place. Possibly not a game changer, but someone later on who offers a lot of versatility.

I saw a stat that the average defense now runs its nickle package over 60% of the time.  That means our "thumper" LB only plays way less than half of the snaps.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 04:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doubt it, considering Taylor Mays is suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Burfict will be done with his suspension before Mays is.

Above reason is why I think he actually has a decent chance at making the roster. They signed him knowing he'll be suspended for the first four games, I don't think they do that if they didn't want to keep him.

Or maybe its just insurance in case we have an injury early or don't get to draft someone in that role. Don't think we'll know for sure until week 4 (i definitely don't see him being cut before the season). Won't be surprised if he's cut after his suspension, or activated if a spot is open. Not a bad insurance policy if you ask me, no risk but could end up being very useful
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 05:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Me either. I bet he's a snorer.

Mellow

Is there any man you would like to sleep on? 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 05:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Is there any man you would like to sleep on? 

Obama for the power.
Reply/Quote
Hawk could easily return if they needed a body, but there's no benefit in waiting to cut him and it gives Cincy a chance to look around and bring some guys in via FA or the draft. It gives Hawk a chance to find a place that could use him instead of waiting until August. If something happens and we need a veteran body, he could return in August if unsigned and not retired.

He probably retires though.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 05:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Is there any man you would like to sleep on? 

Christopher Walken.
Reply/Quote
It's almost as if Hawk and Harrison took on the attitude they were from celebrated NFL franchises and we were a vacation destination. Like we should feel privileged to have them or something. Both of them put in half ass effort unlike say TO. Harrison then goes back home and plays decently, not prime or anything but he gave them a lot more effort. I expected more out of Hawk due to his tie to the state, i expected a rejuvenation of sorts but nope he was on coast as well. Good riddance and hopefully Hunt is next.

Dansby is coming from Cleveland so we should be fine.

Reply/Quote
Cutting Hawk now, allows him the chance to get on with another team.  Pretty classy move by the team, rather than waiting until the end of camp.

Probably best move for the team, as Hawk was versatile and steady, he was less than impactful.  Hoping the team drafts a good LB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Green Bay rushing defenses...
2015: 21st (No Hawk)
2014: 23rd (Less Hawk)
2013: 25th (Full Hawk)

Dude lost the starting job and wasn't even wanted on a shit run defense. Never understood the desire to sign him other than I guess the "OMG OSU!" factor that keeps Nugent employed. Was easy to see that was a bad signing that wouldn't work out the second it happened.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote