Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals reportedly "making push" to keep Vincent Rey
V Rey gets so much disrespect but the guy fits the "bend but don't break" scheme very well. Plus he can call the defense which is BIG. He'll be missed if he leaves and the FO knows it.
Reply/Quote
He takes a lot of reps. He is worth resigning.
Reply/Quote
Look, if they want to re-sign him, then fine. I fully expected it since Marvin is still here. If that reported/speculated deal is what they give him, then that's a serious knock on the FO. There's no way he's close to deserving that.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He is a good back up and key special team player but we should not pay him starter money.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:29 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: This team was poised to make a Super Bowl run.
With the cap increase, there is no reason they couldn't keep their good players (MLJ, Pacman, Iloka) and add one or two others (Trevathan) and then go crazy in the draft.

You'd be getting better all across the board, not standing pat with first round exits.

What makes it more frustrating is they easily could have signed Iloka and Jones to long term deals last off season. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Skuta had 1.5 sacks last year. He averaged 2 sacks a year outside the Bengals organization and didn't even play for the 49ers last year. So.....yeah he was fantastic for them? 
Rey is steady at being bad.

He has out performed his ability thanks to the design of the defense. His value is in Vontaze being injured and the defense is designed for the WLB to make tackles.
And yes you can. Look at Peko's tackle numbers. Tackles are one of the worst stat to judge a player on. 
Are 15 tackles after a play has already gained 5+ yards better than 5 tackles that prevent more plays from occurring? 
Tackles are also subjectively given out by the stats guys at each stadium. What counts one week as a tackle, isn't the next. 

The goal should be to get better. Not get the same-r. 
VRey is a "Swiss Army Knife" in the way he is decidedly mediocre at every position he plays. 
He does nothing PJ Dawson couldn't do. 

Eventually we have to get better. Re-signing middle of the road at best LBs for 5 mill a year and have 2 (or more) on the roster at the same time, is why you get bumped in the first round every year.
Your logic does not work.. Linebackers are the main tacklers are most all teams.. Look at the top 40 tacklers for 2015.. like 80 percent are Linebackers.  To say he did well because he was designed to make tackles is  what all teams do.  

Sorry you can't just discount that he is in the top 25 in the NFL I believe over the last two years in overall tackles... He is a good player.. can play all LB positions.. 

and sorry I will trust the coaches judgement way over a arm chair QB like you that is just dissing on Rey without any true stats.. Marvin I believe already mentioned that Rey is at or near the top of the list for them in FA's.. makes sense to me especially with how thin we are at LB
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 10:37 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: V Rey gets so much disrespect but the guy fits the "bend but don't break" scheme very well.  Plus he can call the defense which is BIG.  He'll be missed if he leaves and the FO knows it.

totally agree.. he is a tackle machine for us the last two years.. lead the team in tackles and has performed very well compared to the rest of the league with Linebackers.  This is a easy sign for me. 
Reply/Quote
Here we thought they were focused on the Joneses, Iloka and Nelson. Rey's an asset, but he shouldn't be top priority with so many free agents. Hopefully we don't overpay. He's sat open on the market before with barely a sniff.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I like him, and I want them to re-sign him, but not at 3yr/$15m.

3yr/$6-7.5m is more reasonable.

I just can't imagine having Rey Maualuga and Vincent Rey both on $5m/yr deals, basically playing the same position (Vincent Rey's playing time increases when Maualuga's decreases, generally) as long as Burfict is healthy.

Then again, having plenty of cap space and squandering it on paying a mediocre-at-best player's absurdly front loaded contract so they can say they used all their cap space and can't sign anyone good is 100% a Bengals FA move. (Hello, Maualuga's $7.1375m 2015 cap hit)

Rather than paying both Maualuga and Rey both $5m/yr, why not just get one REALLY good every down linebacker for like $8-9m/yr? Bengals FO will never get it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I disagree with anyone that says Vincent Rey is not athletic. WTS, I'm one of his biggest fans ans a player and person and I'm not sure I'd go $5 mil a year, unless the plan was to start him at Will, move Burfict inside, and cut ties with the bad Rey.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 12:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I like him, and I want them to re-sign him, but not at 3yr/$15m.

3yr/$6-7.5m is more reasonable.

I just can't imagine having Rey Maualuga and Vincent Rey both on $5m/yr deals, basically playing the same position (Vincent Rey's playing time increases when Maualuga's decreases, generally) as long as Burfict is healthy.

Then again, having plenty of cap space and squandering it on paying a mediocre-at-best player's absurdly front loaded contract so they can say they used all their cap space and can't sign anyone good is 100% a Bengals FA move. (Hello, Maualuga's $7.1375m 2015 cap hit)

Rather than paying both Maualuga and Rey both $5m/yr, why not just get one REALLY good every down linebacker for like $8-9m/yr? Bengals FO will never get it.

For those that don't know, his cap hit in 2015 was $3.1 mill.
http://overthecap.com/player/vincent-rey/2082/

Over the past three years (his last contract extension), he averaged $2.1 mill a year.

I expect VRey's camp will argue that he deserves, at minimum $3 mill per year considering what he got paid last year.
I'd hope he isn't signed for more than 3 year, $10 million ($3.33 mill a year).
If that 3 year, $15 mill does come to fruition, it will be waaaay too high.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 05:33 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Look, if they want to re-sign him, then fine. I fully expected it since Marvin is still here. If that reported/speculated deal is what they give him, then that's a serious knock on the FO. There's no way he's close to deserving that.

Completely agree.  There is no way he is a $5 million per year player.  I also agree with Leonard Leaps' theory about dropping both Reys and going out to get a really good linebacker.  Pair him with Burfict, and finally have an amazing linebacker corps.  Something that I think we all thought would have happened long ago under Marvin.
Reply/Quote
The team like Vinny. They basically paid him starter money on his last contract.

The fans USED TO love Vinny. After the '13 season he was considered the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But the Bengals won't give him $15 million over 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 10:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Your logic does not work.. Linebackers are the main tacklers are most all teams.. Look at the top 40 tacklers for 2015.. like 80 percent are Linebackers.  To say he did well because he was designed to make tackles is  what all teams do.  

Sorry you can't just discount that he is in the top 25 in the NFL I believe over the last two years in overall tackles... He is a good player.. can play all LB positions.. 

and sorry I will trust the coaches judgement way over a arm chair QB like you that is just dissing on Rey without any true stats.. Marvin I believe already mentioned that Rey is at or near the top of the list for them in FA's.. makes sense to me especially with how thin we are at LB

Ugh. 
There's a different designs of defenses. Ours is to force plays to the WLB. Some force to the MLB. 
We use our MLB to eat blocks and create lanes for the WLB. The WLB in our defense will always have more tackles than the MLB or SLB. 

The last part is a joke. We are thin at LB because we have guys like Vinny Rey. Average at best players. We need to upgrade our LB corps. Not keep it the same. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 01:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ugh. 
There's a different designs of defenses. Ours is to force plays to the WLB. Some force to the MLB. 
We use our MLB to eat blocks and create lanes for the WLB. The WLB in our defense will always have more tackles than the MLB or SLB. 

The last part is a joke. We are thin at LB because we have guys like Vinny Rey. Average at best players. We need to upgrade our LB corps. Not keep it the same. 

your last line is a joke.. we have very little behind our starting three right now and with Burfict suspended and on a tight lease, no way would I give up the chance to sign Rey.  Dawson is still unknown,, Hawk could be cut.. Lamur had a down year... Rey is important to this defense and I predict we will do the right thing and sign him to a fair contract.

Rey plays more than one position and if your logic is true (which it does not hold much water),, why then is R.M  should be way lower than 83rd in NFL in tackles ..   and still can;t argue that Rey has been doing his job.. he is making the tackles.. not missing the tackles.. 
Reply/Quote
Quote:The structure for a potential Rey deal with the Bengals could closely mirror the three-year, $15 million contract for linebacker Rey Maualuga that included $4.5 million guaranteed.

The structure of the deal would be like Rey Maualuga's, not the amount. So a 3 year deal with 30% guaranteed. He probably will get a raise from the 2.1 million a year he makes now, but I'd guess it will be more like 3.5 million a year (so 10.5 million for 3 years).

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 01:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: your last line is a joke.. we have very little behind our starting three right now and with Burfict suspended and on a tight lease, no way would I give up the chance to sign Rey.  Dawson is still unknown,, Hawk could be cut.. Lamur had a down year... Rey is important to this defense and I predict we will do the right thing and sign him to a fair contract.

Rey plays more than one position and if your logic is true (which it does not hold much water),, why then is R.M  should be way lower than 83rd in NFL in tackles ..   and still can;t argue that Rey has been doing his job.. he is making the tackles.. not missing the tackles.. 

This post is gibberish.

Hawk should be cut.
Lamur is a FA and should be let go.

You keep bringing up tackles, but you are yet to answer this:
Are 15 tackles after a play has already gained 5+ yards better than 5 tackles that prevent more plays from occurring?
Reply/Quote
Who is going to call plays for the three games we know Burffict will miss, and who knows how many more he could miss next year? I don't think he is worth $15 mil over 3, but he is worth a good amount of money. Do you remember how bad it was when Mauluga was trying to call plays?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 01:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: Who is going to call plays for the three games we know Burffict will miss, and who knows how many more he could miss next year? I don't think he is worth $15 mil over 3, but he is worth a good amount of money. Do you remember how bad it was when Mauluga was trying to call plays?

There's this big event in April, called the NFL draft....and this thing called free agency.
Reply/Quote
At some point, we have to upgrade our LBs.
We can't keep bringing back the same group and wondering why the same things keep happening.
Reply/Quote