Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry
(06-10-2019, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: John Jerry has always been a starter.  He is just 32.  I don't think he is here just as a "camp body".

I kind of do and the reason is that he has never been really good a run blocking, and that has been a priority with ZT. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He was out of football last year, in a league in which even partially decent players at his position are in constant demand.

Camp body or in case of emergency break glass guy.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where did you see that?
Per NY GIants PFF from Aug 2018...
https://twitter.com/pff_giants/status/1025379222011998208?lang=en

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/John-Jerry-is-Giants-veteran-most-likely-to-be-camp-casualty-119231700/
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where did you see that?
Per NY GIants PFF from Aug 2018...
https://twitter.com/pff_giants/status/1025379222011998208?lang=en

Love the pick up.

Kicks Redmond's penalty bad pass blocking ass to the curb.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 01:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: Camp body basically. I agree that with Redmond and Boring out this is likely meant to give us enough bodies.

You all said that when we signed Hart and he ended up starting.

Jerry basically started everywhere he went.

I wonder IF Glenn looks bad at Guard? Or Miller looks bad?
Reply/Quote
Glenn is hurt, and time missed will hurt his transition to guard. This is a late signing, but more than a camp body.

Too bad our coaches had to come from the Giants and Dolphins.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 03:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You all said that when we signed Hart and he ended up starting.

Jerry basically started everywhere he went.

I wonder IF Glenn looks bad at Guard? Or Miller looks bad?

Dunno if that's the case or if the new staff is really THAT against the likes of Redmond, Westerman, and/or Hopkins. It's pretty alarming when the new staff brings in 2 new OGs in FA (Miller and Jerry), drafts another (Jordan), and converts the LT (Glenn) to OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
looks like rod talyor couldn't go how hes replaced.
Reply/Quote
and Rod Taylor got cut

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Can we only sign lineman from the worst lines in football. Good grief. At least sign a young guy with potential that has a good line in front of him. This could be a guy that just can't get on the field due to the numbers game. Instead we are looking for the olines that are worse than we are and plucking their guys.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 05:33 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Can we only sign lineman from the worst lines in football. Good grief. At least sign a young guy with potential that has a good line in front of him. This could be a guy that just can't get on the field due to the numbers game. Instead we are looking for the olines that are worse than we are and plucking their guys.

We like signing guys that are cheap.
Reply/Quote
When it’s this late in the game, the best options are players the coaches are familiar with. They know Jerry from his Dolphins days, it’s a comfort fit.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 05:33 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Can we only sign lineman from the worst lines in football. Good grief. At least sign a young guy with potential that has a good line in front of him. This could be a guy that just can't get on the field due to the numbers game. Instead we are looking for the olines that are worse than we are and plucking their guys.

Well he got waived by the Giants BEFORE last season and was out of football.

Probably a small chance he comes in and is ready to start after a year away.
Reply/Quote
We replaced a 3rd stringer/camp body with an experienced 3rd stringer/camp body. Id say Jerry with the experience has the edge to make a noticeable difference to us fans.
Reply/Quote
Not sure what I think about the move.

Jerry has been up and down in the league and has had plenty of time to show that he is inconsistent.

Taylor, meanwhile, hasn't had an opportunity to show what he can do. I think I would have stuck with the unproven commodity with potential...
Reply/Quote
good , some bullies.....we need to get an attitude out there.
Boling gets pushed around too much
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 09:59 PM)kalibengal Wrote: good ,  some bullies.....we need to get an attitude out there.
Boling gets pushed around too much

Being a bully is not an attitude anyone on this team needs. Bullies tend to crumble when stood up to.
Reply/Quote
I don't know what to make of this signing. He's started a lot in his career.

But, last year he got waived by the Giants in camp and no one signed him. That seems to indicate he's washed up?
Reply/Quote
I agree that something seems to be up with Boling. The media seemingly has no answers. The Bengals are remaining very quiet on his situation. On one the past few BBPs, Dehner had mentioned that he didn't see Boling signing a 3rd contract. Not just a contract with Bengals, but possibly an NFL contract. Perhaps he's ready to hang it up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Eli Manning says "thank you" from the bottom of his heart. Yes he does.

You would think Zac would recruit OL from his old team, the Rams who went to the SB. Must be that bad boy OL coach with a bad reputation making these decisions.
Reply/Quote