Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyze our Roster
(09-04-2017, 12:28 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You should've watched the end of the drive.  Andy threw a pick, no TD.

But I'm with you, the oline has held their own.

My bad. You're right...I meant the Redskins in the 3rd game which is supposedly the most important. But they did well against the TB #1s also.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting tidbit I noticed, we kept 6 LB's with 3 being rookies. Of course we get Burfict back in week #4, but have we ever kept 3 rookie LB's?

I love it as all 3 seem to be very good athletes and Lawson may be a bit of a hybrid. Should we a veteran LB off waivers to help this young group?

What are your thoughts on our roster or interesting tidbits you noticed?

I noticed they FINALLY stopped thinking that all DEs had to be 6'6" to "hold up" against the rush and FINALLY got some speed and strength off the edges.  Geno Atkins might be the happiest guy alive right now.  QBs will be walking right in to him.  I can't help but think the secondary is going to have more INTs from this as well.  

We went from almost zero outside pass rush (aside from Dunlap, who was usually worn out by the postseason) to having three new speed edge rushers.  I can't wait to see how this works.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I noticed they FINALLY stopped thinking that all DEs had to be 6'6" to "hold up" against the rush and FINALLY got some speed and strength off the edges.  Geno Atkins might be the happiest guy alive right now.  QBs will be walking right in to him.  I can't help but think the secondary is going to have more INTs from this as well.  

We went from almost zero outside pass rush (aside from Dunlap, who was usually worn out by the postseason) to having three new speed edge rushers.  I can't wait to see how this works.  

Yes they went big (but not as tall), but fast with Willis.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

In the immortal words of the band "fun":

"We were young, so we set the world on fire, we can go higher...than the sun!"
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:   They chose to allow arguably their two best OL to go to FA, without signing any suitable replacements, other than the often injured Andre Smith. (take that for what you will)  Then, they draft one sorry guy, in a late round, that was injured most of last season, and then proceed to cut him. 

I disagree, Sunset.  The Bengals drafted Ced and Fisher to be the heir apparent two years ago, wisely before there was a need.  They also drafted Westerman last year and have developed a UDFA in Redmond that they have a high opinion of.  Hopkins is the classic player the Bengals love...an UDFA that works his ass off despite some injury misfortues and plays himself in to the starting lineup.  They have very solid depth at Guard, but at OT, they are paper thin and that worries me.  I don't know if they would try someone like Hopkins or Boling at OT and bring in one of the aforementioned guys to fill the spot they would vacate or what.  There is still some time to get a veteran OT that would replace the role previously held by Winston (Who JJ Watt is very sorry to see has left the team).

I think they are in win-now mode, as they are trying to give Andy weapons that he hasn't had before in guys like Ross, Mixon, Malone (although Core started to flash last year, they needed depth at WR as they always seem to lose a few top guys then have no one that can generate separation).  

They also went all-in on speed on defense, drafting Evans, Willis, Lawson, and making a trade for Smith (which looks brilliant thus far).  

Every team has gaps in their talent and/or experience at some place on the roster, but overall I really, really like where this team is at going in to the season.  It has nothing to do with the roster, but I also like that no one seems to be giving them much of a chance this season, and even if they start off well, they will still be hearing the "well, they will lose in round 1" crap.  
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You might be right, I could have just been having a negative moment.  But, no one saw 4-12 coming on 2010 either, did they?

One of my least favorite Bengal teams of all-time.  They were borderline unwatchable.  But, pinch off a few turds, get some youth that is here to win, and you have a 9-7 season with the world expecting 0-16. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I want to be wrong about this.

Not being a dick, but you are....I still say 11-5, and they are going to the Super Bowl.  You have never heard me say that before this year.  I strongly believe this is the best team we have had in the last 20 years and will surprise everyone.  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:30 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am worried about the defensive line and oline still. Where is the pass rush going to come from.

Is this a joke?  Have you not watched Willis get 4 sacks in what amounted to two games of playing time?  Lawson?  Smith?  Dunlap?  Geno?  I think Billings has just been in "hold the spot" mode for preseason, but he can rush the passer as well.  This defense is markedly better than last year, and has the best LB in the league behind them in great shape (after week 3).
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:10 PM)Beaker Wrote: More like lazy analysis. The O line has improved throughout the entire preseason and did quite well in the last two games.

Agreed.  How do you think Washington feels after watching their first team offense get ONE YARD against our starters and their Pro Bowl tackle was destroyed by Lawson and Willis...who didn't even get to start!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree, Sunset.  The Bengals drafted Ced and Fisher to be the heir apparent two years ago, wisely before there was a need.  They also drafted Westerman last year and have developed a UDFA in Redmond that they have a high opinion of.  Hopkins is the classic player the Bengals love...an UDFA that works his ass off despite some injury misfortues and plays himself in to the starting lineup.  They have very solid depth at Guard, but at OT, they are paper thin and that worries me.  I don't know if they would try someone like Hopkins or Boling at OT and bring in one of the aforementioned guys to fill the spot they would vacate or what.  There is still some time to get a veteran OT that would replace the role previously held by Winston (Who JJ Watt is very sorry to see has left the team).

I think they are in win-now mode, as they are trying to give Andy weapons that he hasn't had before in guys like Ross, Mixon, Malone (although Core started to flash last year, they needed depth at WR as they always seem to lose a few top guys then have no one that can generate separation).  

They also went all-in on speed on defense, drafting Evans, Willis, Lawson, and making a trade for Smith (which looks brilliant thus far).  

Every team has gaps in their talent and/or experience at some place on the roster, but overall I really, really like where this team is at going in to the season.  It has nothing to do with the roster, but I also like that no one seems to be giving them much of a chance this season, and even if they start off well, they will still be hearing the "well, they will lose in round 1" crap.  

I'm hoping that you're right, but my optimism and enthusiasm are both a bit low right now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 05:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm hoping that you're right, but my optimism and enthusiasm are both a bit low right now.

I completely understand.  Whatever National coverage the Bengals are getting seems to be parroting the same thing from network to network:  fighting for last place.  The facts are that last year was the anomoly, not the norm.  They had a kicking game that lost three games and injuries to virtually all of our key offensive weapons.  They took their lumps with a couple new players on the offensive line.  

The norm is an average of 10 wins when Dalton has been our QB.  Now that he has at least a solid offensive line, some weapons, and the defense has some new toys that will help create some pass rush the team is in better shape than ever.  

Losing Burfict for the first three games, Ross for ???, and Williams for at least a couple will not make things easy, but every team has injuries.  They can handle these....heck, they haven't had Burfict for an opener for the last couple years and they still won both times, on the road no less.

11-5 is where they will finish.  Slightly less than that if they have a lot of injuries, slightly better if they have minimal injuries.  

They will start off this Sunday with a 24-13 victory over an AFC North opponent, and that will be the first step.
Reply/Quote