Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Bengals say willing to trade Higgins for right offer,
(04-04-2024, 03:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think it is VERY unlikely we take a WR2/WR3 type at #18. There is good value day 2 if we don't just roll with Jones in Boyd's spot.

It could be our highest pick in a decade. Using it on WR3 is just not wise, IMHO when we have more pressing needs (RT, DT/NT, CB1/4).

Higgins is here. So you are talking WR3 at #18. That is WAY too high. You can always get WR2 types late first/early 2nd if we need one next year or when Tee leaves.

Top end OTs/DTs/CBs are rarer late first or on Day 2.

Plus, we can trade Tee next year & sign JJ to replace him. Wink.

I like wide receiver Xavier Leggette in round 2 as the Tyler Boyd replacement in 2024 with a chance that he can develop

into the TEE replacement in 2025. 

He is 6 foot 1  221 pounds and ran a 4.39 forty with 71 catches for 1,255 yards  17.7 average yards per catch in 2023.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 03:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think it is VERY unlikely we take a WR2/WR3 type at #18. There is good value day 2 if we don't just roll with Jones in Boyd's spot.

It could be our highest pick in a decade. Using it on WR3 is just not wise, IMHO when we have more pressing needs (RT, DT/NT, CB1/4).

Higgins is here. So you are talking WR3 at #18. That is WAY too high. You can always get WR2 types late first/early 2nd if we need one next year or when Tee leaves.

Top end OTs/DTs/CBs are rarer late first or on Day 2.

Plus, we can trade Tee next year & sign JJ to replace him. Wink.

All good points Ike, just hope we don't take another Og/Price in the 1st.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
GiveMeSport says the Cardinals might be interested and might be willing to give up pick #27 in the first for Higgins because they have a bunch of early picks, including 4, 27, and 35.

They list recent deals as a framework:

Quote:Two relatively recent blockbuster trades involving front line wide receivers offer context to what a Higgins-to-Cardinals swap may look like:

In 2022, A.J. Brown was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for picks No. 18 and 101.
In 2020, Stefon Diggs to the Buffalo Bills for pick No. 22 plus additional Day 3 selections.
If we’re using those two swaps as a general framework, it’s reasonable to consider the Cardinals’ No. 27 selection the potential centerpiece of a swap for Higgins.

I'd definitely jump at just pick 27 or 35.

AthlonSports suggests Buffalo might come calling but doesn't offer any details. One Tweet from yesterday says they're trading for him in t-2 days.

Few other teams as possibilities, including the Pats who I think would be good in giving up pick 34(?) for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 01:10 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: I am not necessarily the biggest fan of the Franchise Tag, but a good thing about it is that Tee has one year to prove to the world that he's worth as much as he thinks he is. So it may not be an ideal situation for the Bengals but they are for sure going to get 100 percent effort from him every play, every game. So hopefully it will work out for all sides. 

I like this perspective. Tee had some key drops throughout the season. He seemed separated from the task at hand. And, even though that catch on the 1yd line while stretching his arm across the pylon before going out of bounds was spectacular, it doesn't erase his performance up until then. Also, I wonder how much the Hamlin situation played on him. Could that have caused his distraction? If so, I get it. It may have taken him a while to get his head back into the game. We know it affected him greatly because he became very close to the family during the recovery.

I would say I hope he makes me eat my words but he can't because I'm speaking about what he done lately. Not what he's capable of doing tomorrow. I hope he slays the league next year.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 03:37 PM)depthchart Wrote: I like wide receiver Xavier Leggette in round 2 as the Tyler Boyd replacement in 2024 with a chance that he can develop

into the TEE replacement in 2025. 

He is 6 foot 1  221 pounds and ran a 4.39 forty with 71 catches for 1,255 yards  17.7 average yards per catch in 2023.

Holy Cow. Do you know what the pros and cons are by the scouts on him?

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 07:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Holy Cow. Do you know what the pros and cons are by the scouts on him?

Here, check out his draft/combine profile.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/xavier-legette/32004c45-4714-5351-c48c-d286b74bea32

Quote:Strengths
  • Makes full use of his size and play strength in one-on-one battles.
  • Owns his space and defender’s space when catch is contested.
  • Magnificent timing and extension to snare throws up the ladder.
  • Uses subtle hand fighting to create late landing space for the throw.
  • Powerful hands create added catch security with or without contact.
  • Sneaky burst gear propels vertical separation and run-after-catch speed.
  • Capable combatant when asked to do his part as a blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Can win the catch phase, but the release and route phases lack polish.
  • Tennessee’s tight press-man coverage was all over him for much of the game.
  • Rushes through route design rather than selling it to the cornerbacks.
  • Below-average quickness getting in and out of his breaks.
  • Hits cruise control and waits for jump balls rather than keeping foot on the gas.
Sources Tell Us

“(2023) is the first year he had over 30 targets in his entire career, so of course he’s still green and should be moldable for whoever gets him. He’s a good kick returner, too.” - NFC national scout

Seems to be that he only had one breakout season as the reason for any hesitation on him, as most of those weaknesses listed are things that are likely to self-correct with more reps, especially with a perfectionist QB like Joe Burrow working with him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here, check out his draft/combine profile.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/xavier-legette/32004c45-4714-5351-c48c-d286b74bea32

Seems to be that he only had one breakout season as the reason for any hesitation on him, as most of those weaknesses listed are things that are likely to self-correct with more reps, especially with a perfectionist QB like Joe Burrow working with him.

Sounds like Leggette has the tools you cannot teach, and he can work on the rest is what I took from that as well.

I like that he has great timing in catching balls, some Receivers have bad timing and that can really hurt them. Physicality and owning 
the ball when it is in the air are great attributes. Subtle hand fighting is also a great one to have so he isn't called for a bunch of Offensive
PI's in the NFL and him being a combative blocker is always welcome in Cincinnati. I like Leggette's profile here.

Haven't seen this before, thanks Sunset. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 08:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like Leggette has the tools you cannot teach, and he can work on the rest is what I took from that as well.

I like that he has great timing in catching balls, some Receivers have bad timing and that can really hurt them. Physicality and owning 
the ball when it is in the air are great attributes. Subtle hand fighting is also a great one to have so he isn't called for a bunch of Offensive
PI's in the NFL and him being a combative blocker is always welcome in Cincinnati. I like Leggette's profile here.

Haven't seen this before, thanks Sunset. Rock On

Yeah, just think of him as a bigger, stronger Curtis Samuel type of player, enough ass to break free from LBs, bowl past Safeties without a good angle, and fast enough to make the CBs pay for forgetting about him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I stated this yet but if we trade Tee thier has to be another corresponding move to transpire right?

For example Bengals trade Tee to Cardinals for 35th pick & 90th in 2024 pick.

What move or moves are you making to improve the team. Remember you are freeing 21 million in cap space?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 11:30 PM)J24 Wrote: Not sure if I stated this yet but if we trade Tee thier has to be another corresponding move to transpire right?

What move or moves are you making to improve the team. Remember you are freeing 21 million in cap space?

That’s my biggest hurdle for the “trade tee” crowd. He is arguably a top 5 player on our roster, and a team that is in a in now and long term mode. I get wanting to secure as much as you can for him, but it seems to be that him playing for the bengals in 2024 and whatever draft compensation you get next year is making the most sense. Via comp or tag and trade.
Reply/Quote
I hope we don't trade until we have drafted either Thomas or Mitchell with 1st round pick. I saw Cardinals may have interest with pick #27 or Washington has a lot of draft picks in round 2 and 3.

I think they will be a OT available in early second round, but again, we keep Tee if our guy is gone.

We have a year loaded at WR as Thomas learns. Chase, Jones, Irwin and Gesicki can all play the slot making us very unpredictable based on our skill players in the huddle.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer playing Tee on the tag then tag and trade him next year. Get some of our new young receivers more time to develop on the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s my biggest hurdle for the “trade tee” crowd.  He is arguably a top 5 player on our roster, and a team that is in a in now and long term mode.  I get wanting to secure as much as you can for him, but it seems to be that him playing for the bengals in 2024 and whatever draft compensation you get next year is making the most sense. Via comp or tag and trade.

My pushback though is this assumes it is as simple as 1) tag Tee and 2) Tee plays his best ball for the Bengals in '24. I'm concerned that his agent's influence or Tee being a normal person with feelings might influence his performance. Of course, the counter to my point is that he'll want to be on the field to maximize his future earnings.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 09:12 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My pushback though is this assumes it is as simple as 1) tag Tee and 2) Tee plays his best ball for the Bengals in '24. I'm concerned that his agent's influence or Tee being a normal person with feelings might influence his performance. Of course, the counter to my point is that he'll want to be on the field to maximize his future earnings.

Well he didnt seem to play his best ball during his Contract year last year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 09:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well he didnt seem to play his best ball during his Contract year last year.  

and he had some injuries. I get skeptical when players are hurt during contract years. Are they truly unable to take the field or are they and their agent sending a message by not playing?

It's why I think it's best to either pay Tee what he wants or move on from him asap. I'm not a fan of roster construction including the in-between, tagged player who didn't get the years or money they want. I believe it leads to an unhappy player. Unhappy employees in most work settings don't perform at the best of their abilities.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope we don't trade until we have drafted either Thomas or Mitchell with 1st round pick. I saw Cardinals may have interest with pick #27 or Washington has a lot of draft picks in round 2 and 3.

I think they will be a OT available in early second round, but again, we keep Tee if our guy is gone.

We have a year loaded at WR as Thomas learns. Chase, Jones, Irwin and Gesicki can all play the slot making us very unpredictable based on our skill players in the huddle.

I think people are sleeping on Andrei Iosivas. Proved to have good hands and a knack for getting open in the endzone with 4 TDs on his 15 catches. He seems like the one who has the inside track to Boyd's spot. 
Reply/Quote
I expect Yoshi will get more snaps including in Tee’s usual position. He has the tools to be a mismatch receiver.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 07:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Holy Cow. Do you know what the pros and cons are by the scouts on him?

FWIW - Mel Kiper just Mocked Xavier Legette to the Lions in round 1 at pick #29.

Late first or early 2nd round appears to be the expectations for him right now, meaning he may not even get to Bengals pick #49.

Kiper says Legette is drawing size & speed Comps to AJ Brown (who was a 2nd round pick #51) 

Legette also returned kicks making him someone that could be used under the New Kick Off Return rules with his 4.39 speed & size.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 11:30 PM)J24 Wrote: Not sure if I stated this yet but if we trade Tee thier has to be another corresponding move to transpire right?

If that trade happened for Tee I would be really happy and select Brian Thomas Jr at 18 the perfect Tee replacement, one of the top OT's at 35
like Fautanu, Latham Kingsley or Blake Fisher (who I think is really being slept on) with the NT's as thoughts next and RB's and TE's in thoughts in 
the 3rd. We just don't know who will fall out of the first. Fautanu is probably the least likely as he is just solid as it gets.

We could go other ways too, Fautanu/Mims/Latham at 18, Adonai Mitchell at 35, Sweat/McKinnley at 49 etc.

Sweat should fall further than most are projecting, NT's fall, just the way it is.

(04-05-2024, 09:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well he didnt seem to play his best ball during his Contract year last year.  

Yes sir, which is exactly why I am questioning Tee on the Tag this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 01:06 PM)depthchart Wrote: FWIW - Mel Kiper just Mocked Xavier Legette to the Lions in round 1 at pick #29.

Late first or early 2nd round appears to be the expectations for him right now, meaning he may not even get to Bengals pick #49.

Kiper says Legette is drawing size & speed Comps to AJ Brown (who was a 2nd round pick #51) 

Legette also returned kicks making him someone that could be used under the New Kick Off Return rules with his 4.39 speed & size.

I really like Malachi Corley the most as my sleeper WR/RB/Returner in this Draft.
Reply/Quote