Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign CFL interception leader
(12-30-2019, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Does this guy have enough talent to make a roster in the NFL? I had never heard of him before reading he signed here. I don't even remember him in college. Anyone have any insight on him?

He's good... really good. But that's in the CFL.

Chad Owens was deplorable in the NFL (though really, he didn't get enough chances) and a borderline HOF CFLer.

To be more apt for position and Bengal-wise, Rico Murray was poor in the NFL and a stud up here, so really, who knows what can happen?

Rose is really good though.

(12-30-2019, 03:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Wasn't Jeanty signed from the CFL too?

Indeed; from the Eskimos (although, he may have played with the Eskimoes AFTER he went back).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Yes
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's good... really good. But that's in the CFL.

Chad Owens was deplorable in the NFL (though really, he didn't get enough chances) and a borderline HOF CFLer.

To be more apt for position and Bengal-wise, Rico Murray was poor in the NFL and a stud up here, so really, who knows what can happen?

Rose is really good though.

Indeed; from the Eskimos (although, he may have played with the Eskimoes AFTER he went back).

Apparently, the Eagles and Chargers were also interested in him.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 06:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Apparently, the Eagles and Chargers were also interested in him.

I read that the Eagles offer was less, so he took ours.
Reply/Quote

Yup.  Kyries Herbert was also a CFL pickup
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 06:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I read that the Eagles offer was less, so he took ours.

Wait, so you're saying that Mike Brown WILL overpay for a player he likes??   Mellow 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Does this guy have enough talent to make a roster in the NFL? I had never heard of him before reading he signed here. I don't even remember him in college. Anyone have any insight on him?

Seems like he must have made a name for himself in the 2014 season, as a 1st year starter he had 5 INTs, and 2 PDs to go along with 38 tackles.  It seems in 2015, word must have gotten around about him, and they threw less to his direction.  In 2015, he didn't have any INTs, but had 6 PDs, along with 51 tackles.

Without having watched any of his games, I'm going to guess that he used that elite speed to get to where the play was, when they didn't try to throw on him.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/winston-rose-1.html

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like the pickup from everything I am reading.

We will see, takes a bit to go from someone decent in the CFL to be someone decent in the NFL from history but hey,
the dude seems to be a ballhawk and it is hard to play Corner in the CFL as Au165 said. Winston Rose can be a good
player maybe down the road.
Reply/Quote
its a trend that they want to get better at CB and are exploring options before the draft. I suspect the plan is to move on from kirkpatrick and Dennard is not a sure thing. its good to a see a guy choose Cincinnati over the eagles tho

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:29 PM)Okeana Wrote: its a trend that they want to get better at CB and are exploring options before the draft.  I suspect the plan is to move on from kirkpatrick and Dennard is not a sure thing.  its good to a see a guy choose Cincinnati over the eagles tho

This was my thought initially as well.

They know they are going to draft QB, OL and LB. They need to adress the CBs now or through free agency. Kick the tires on some guys since letting DreK go seems easier than ever.

They also seem to be focusing on guys with ballhawking skills. Maybe they are realizing our lack of INTs is stunting the defense.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This was my thought initially as well.

They know they are going to draft QB, OL and LB. They need to adress the CBs now or through free agency. Kick the tires on some guys since letting DreK go seems easier than ever.

They also seem to be focusing on guys with ballhawking skills. Maybe they are realizing our lack of INTs is stunting the defense.

Nice post GCB, agree with your thoughts.

The holes are pretty damn obvious. Just want to see the HC grow at his job and add some decent coaches around him
to help him out. New Secondary coach should help along with a new DC and LB coach. Think Eason is alright.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like the pickup from everything I am reading.

We will see, takes a bit to go from someone decent in the CFL to be someone decent in the NFL from history but hey,
the dude seems to be a ballhawk and it is hard to play Corner in the CFL as Au165 said. Winston Rose can be a good
player maybe down the road.

He doesn't have to be a superstar, in order to make a contribution.  Bench players get snaps, too.  Seems like a guy that might be ideal size and speed to play slot Corner, or come in on Dime packages and such and play a roving Center Fielder type of role.  (I'm just guessing, of course)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He doesn't have to be a superstar, in order to make a contribution.  Bench players get snaps, too.  Seems like a guy that might be ideal size and speed to play slot Corner, or come in on Dime packages and such and play a roving Center Fielder type of role.  (I'm just guessing, of course)

Yes and you can never have enough speedy, ballhawk Corners.

Just need to see the guy tackle well. Speaking of tackling, bring back Dennard please.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 06:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I read that the Eagles offer was less, so he took ours.

Eagles offered a 1 year, minimum deal. Bengals contract was 3 years, $15 million.

Ninja

(12-30-2019, 11:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wait, so you're saying that Mike Brown WILL overpay for a player he likes??   Mellow 

Only for players of Bobby Hart's caliber. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He's probably better than Webb.

Absolutely! If this means Webb is gone I’m all for it.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if he'll change his first name from Winston to Pete.. That could be a tad confusing to the locals..  Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wait, so you're saying that Mike Brown WILL overpay for a player he likes??   Mellow 

Only if he can't pick one up at Walmart.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

It looked like some pretty piss poor QB play on most of those, but I will say this:  As a DB, I would hate the opposition being able to have a running start as in the CFL, and he does have good technique in that he (at least in all these plays) always got his head around and found the ball.  Looks to have some good wheels, too.  

We got Rashad Jeanty years ago from the CFL to back up David Pollack and he was a pretty solid player after Pollack went down.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It looked like some pretty piss poor QB play on most of those, but I will say this:  As a DB, I would hate the opposition being able to have a running start as in the CFL, and he does have good technique in that he (at least in all these plays) always got his head around and found the ball.  Looks to have some good wheels, too.  

We got Rashad Jeanty years ago from the CFL to back up David Pollack and he was a pretty solid player after Pollack went down.  

Jeanty was super in the run game (always graded well V the run on PFF) at SLB and could even be a strong-side DE V the run (which we did use him at some snaps and essentially where he played in the CFL); he really understood how to set the edge and disengage from blockers.

Alas, his coverage and pass rushing skills were virtually non-existent, thus someone like that will not stick around in the league...
Reply/Quote
Rose played for my local team - guy is very talented as as noted above, the CFL caters to different talent types than the NFL for most positions not lesser athletes. Rose is fast, is a natural ball hawk and supported the run very well. Oh and yes, he tackles well. Premier corner in the CFL.

I bash the Bengals as much as anyone, but this is a smart pickup - zero risk and he has a legit shot to make the roster.

And he is a winner - played exceptional through the playoffs and the Grey Cup game which we of course won.

I think the Bengals worked out 8 players from the CFL , thye have not done that for years or ever and it should be common practice - there are some gems up here.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote