Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Trevor Siemian
(05-03-2023, 01:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's great news, but I hope he never sees the field this season.  Because if he doesn't, it means Joe Burrow is likely healthy and the Bengals are probably having a great season.

Everyone talks about filling in for Burrow if he misses time, but I'm looking at it as a positive just because it would give Burrow a better option to practice with and throw around the ball.

I know they wouldn't be competing but you always want quality players practicing around you to push you and help improve.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 03:38 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: If you're going by stats alone, you can't determine a QB's accuracy.  Drops, throwing downfield a significant amount, throwing it away to prevent a sack, etc. can undermine the completion percentage.  I can't say one way or the other since I've not seen him enough.

He's heading into his age 32 season and he's never reached 60.0% (which is still well below league average) in a year before. You can absolutely determine with stats alone at that point. He stinks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's heading into his age 32 season and he's never reached 60.0% (which is still well below league average) in a year before. You can absolutely determine with stats alone at that point. He stinks.
I will concede that things tend to even out over time.  But I can live with that percentage if it's the result of routinely throwing down field on 3rd and 15 instead of dumping it off to the RB for 5 yards, field goal positioning aside of course.
Reply/Quote
Or maybe on the negative side, he's missing completions because he's late releasing the ball, or not seeing defenders lurking to pounce. Just hard to say without watching.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 03:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Everyone talks about filling in for Burrow if he misses time, but I'm looking at it as a positive just because it would give Burrow a better option to practice with and throw around the ball.

I know they wouldn't be competing but you always want quality players practicing around you to push you and help improve.

It likely also is a benefit to the rest of the second team players to be getting reps with a better QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope Trevor Siemian gets a lot of playing time this season…

…in the fourth quarter when the Bengals have the game won.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It likely also is a benefit to the rest of the second team players to be getting reps with a better QB.

Good point because they don't get any practice catching balls that are off-target and under-thrown or thrown with no zip.

It also helps the defense- both the starters and the backups- for the exact same reason.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 03:38 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: If you're going by stats alone, you can't determine a QB's accuracy.  Drops, throwing downfield a significant amount, throwing it away to prevent a sack, etc. can undermine the completion percentage.  I can't say one way or the other since I've not seen him enough.

The Receiver has to catch the ball as well lol

For example, Burrow is the most accurate QB I have ever seen but if his guys are droppin' ballz it don't matter.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's heading into his age 32 season and he's never reached 60.0% (which is still well below league average) in a year before. You can absolutely determine with stats alone at that point. He stinks.

And you aren't going to get better at backup QB and if Siemian stinks, Allen is God awful stench... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:55 PM)M.W. Wrote: A much better option than Brandon. Can't believe the 49ers signed him!

They need camp bodies
Reply/Quote
I am cool with this. Allen was totally overmatched and seemed inept. His career is likely over after the 49ers camp. Seems like a good guy, but terrible QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:37 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Better than Allen!

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/3/23709795/trevor-siemian-bengals-news-brandon-allen-49ers-nfl-news-rumors

Allen signed with 49ers.  So Allen is out now anyway.  So Siemian in to compete for back up role. 

But please block and protect for Joe Burrow, because this team don't win without him. I never saw Allen start and win here, and hopefully Siemian won't be called on to.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:55 PM)M.W. Wrote: A much better option than Brandon. Can't believe the 49ers signed him!

The 49ers system is QB proof, and as of now he'd be 3rd string.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If I had to choose between Allen and Siemian I'd choose Siemian without hesitation. That's all
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And you aren't going to get better at backup QB and if Siemian stinks, Allen is God awful stench... Mellow

[Image: 6a45d6e21a670a3b7cced7d430ef208c.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Glad for the upgrade at backup QB. Hope he has a good season with the Bengals no matter what happens.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
It's literally like this...  

"We signed a quarterback as Brandon Allen's replacement...."

"Great move! Who'd we sign?"
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hope it's for vet minimum, because I don't want him to make the roster cut. He's simply not accurate enough to even be an NFL QB, he's never even reached 60.0% completion in a year.. Don't even trust him to start a couple games, so I sure hope he's an absolutely amazing clipboard holder and is just really good studying film to help Burrow prepare for games.

I fear you're comparing TS to other starting QBs in the NFL. Doubt he'll start here. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Glad to see we upgraded, even if ever so slightly. To me, the REAL question is “WTF was San Fran thinking?!” signing Allen. The way they go through QBs there, the guy has a legitimate chance to play if he makes their roster. ?
Reply/Quote
This is good because of the experience he has as a starter.
With regards to his stats, if he does have to play then he will be better just because he has Chase, Higgins, Boyd etc to throw to. I bet he’s never had those kind of weapons before.
Reply/Quote