Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals signing Dansby
I like the signing just because it brings in a vet that's used to the hard-nosed style of the AFCN.

He also played on some winning Cardinals teams, which people forget about, including one that made it to the Super Bowl.

Dude's fast, and probably not as fast now, but he once ran a 4.45.

I won't act like we just signed Junior Seau, but it's a solid signing that can only bolster our defense.

Nice job, front office ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Better late than never. Dansby is old, but he's been aging really well.

I'm wondering if he'll be our starting SLB or if he'll just help fill in for Burfict for 4 games. Hopefully he gets meaningful snaps.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The best part is it is yet another mentor to Burfict. Someone who has been through the heated times and can give him advice on being calm and collected in the big moment. 

Hopefully Haslett* and Dansby will help mold Burfict into the perfect LB
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Better late than never. Dansby is old, but he's been aging really well.

I'm wondering if he'll be our starting SLB or if he'll just help fill in for Burfict for 4 games. Hopefully he gets meaningful snaps.

I am guessing Dansby will be playing SAM with Dawson at WILL and Maualuga at MIKE early.

Then Dawson will slip back to depth once Burfict is back at WILL.

Just my guess anyway. Dansby has played SAM unlike Dawson, this is why i say this.

I shouldn't forget about Vinny who can play all the spots but i think Dawson will surprise and play very well, good
enough to get a starting spot early. Vinny can backup all the spots and play MIKE on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Click on thread to read other Bengal fans happy comments about the signing.

Find yellowxdiscipline bitching and moaning.

Not surprised.

Click on thread expecting to see YXD posting about a pickup he's been actively discussing around here for weeks.

Find Fredson mischaracterizing fair commentary as bitching and moaning.
_____

Good pickup.  Hope we can pick up Reggie & LaFell too.  

***To be clear Fredson, feel free to mischaracterize my use of 'hope' as a slant against the FO.  I'm sure you'll get style points from some of your fellow rubes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice pickup. Will help out with linebacker depth for sure.

Is Hawk gone or is he still with us? I wouldnt mind seeing him cut. He brought nothing to the table last year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 01:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Nice pickup. Will help out with linebacker depth for sure.

Is Hawk gone or is he still with us? I wouldnt mind seeing him cut. He brought nothing to the table last year.

Hawk still has one more year on his deal.

But i agree, he wasn't good last year. Dansby definately makes Hawk expendable especially if Dawson, Flowers
or a rookie show something. Thought Hawk would be better playing for his favorite team and all.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am guessing Dansby will be playing SAM with Dawson at WILL and Maualuga at MIKE early.

Just my guess anyway. Dansby has played SAM unlike Dawson, this is why i say this.

I shouldn't forget about Vinny who can play all the spots but i think Dawson will surprise and play very well, good
enough to get a starting spot early. Vinny can backup all the spots and play MIKE on passing downs.

I would be extremely surprised if V.Rey is not the starting WILL on opening day. The fact that we signed Dansby actually makes me wonder how staisfied the is in what they saw in Dawson last year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am guessing Dansby will be playing SAM with Dawson at WILL and Maualuga at MIKE early.

VRey will be the starting WILL while Burfict is out. if Dawson becomes a starter, it will be down the road and due to injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:54 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Per Ian Rapopart

The #Bengals are signing LB Karlos Dansby today, source said. The former #Browns defender visited last week.

Good signing. Better than Lamur and Hawk despite his age.

This is great news! It also looks like they could have a deal done with LaFell by the end of the week as well. I would say we should look to resign Hall to a 1 year vet deal and then focus on the draft. I still hope the Bengals will draft either Darron Lee/Deion Jones or if he checks out medically Jaylon Smith.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 02:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would be extremely surprised if V.Rey is not the starting WILL on opening day.  The fact that we signed Dansby actually makes me wonder how staisfied the is in what they saw in Dawson last year.

(03-29-2016, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: VRey will be the starting WILL while Burfict is out. if Dawson becomes a starter, it will be down the road and due to injury.

You guys could definately be correct especially after the contract Vinny just signed. I still have high hopes for Dawson
and i think he could impress. But the coaches care a lot on how you practice. I just think on the field Dawson has much
more upside in lots of ways than Vinny. But like Ocho here says, probably will be further down the road.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 02:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You guys could definately be correct especially after the contract Vinny just signed. I still have high hopes for Dawson
and i think he could impress. But the coaches care a lot on how you practice. I just think on the field Dawson has much
more upside in lots of ways than Vinny. But like Ocho here says, probably will be further down the road.

They probably are right, however while serviceable I still see Vinny personally as a backup/st type player. I hope Dawson get's his chance and shines this year. I also think the Bengals will try to use Flowers as their hybrid S/LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Click on thread to read other Bengal fans happy comments about the signing.

Find yellowxdiscipline bitching and moaning.

Not surprised.

Hey, I wanted to let you know something.  Remember that thread awhile back, I think that was started after we resigned TJ Johnson, where people were joking around (my take) or squealing and whining (your take) and I replied to you and basically said that what you view you as whining other people might view as light-hearted humor?  Do you remember that at all? 

The reply basically went on to accuse you of whining more about whiners than the whiners whine themselves.  Or to point out the irony that the board's biggest whiner is the guy who always whines about whiners.  You know, I'll just see if it I can find it and link to make this is a little easier.  But the point is, I did my best to call you out for be annoying.

Guess what?  That was by far my most rep'd comment if the history of the boards.  Both boards.  Now, I didn't post on the old board 40k times, nor have I posted on this one 10k.  But I would say I'm one of the more active members.  And my rep to post count ratio is strong, son! 

Out of all the thousands of posts I've had, the many ones where "haters" such as myself should rally around, that was my most rep'd. And it's not even close.  And curiously, it wasn't just people of like minds either, there were a lot of people on the "homer" side who took the time to hook me up with fake internet points. (Thanks, fellas!)

Let that sink in for a second.  Am I saying or doing this to be a jerk?  Yeah, you bet.  You deserve it.  But I'm also doing it just to show how little people like much of what you do.

It's annoying.  It's adds little or nothing to the conversation.  And it's done at a rate which all but dwarfs others entire post counts.  Look at how much more you post than most.  Then consider how many of those posts are argumentative and are created only to further a debate or to gain a reaction. (A lot) With that high of a percentage, and with that high a post count, your petty, snarky and argumentative bs starts to dominate much of the conversation.

No one wants to read this shit all day everyday.  It clutters up the forums and no is laughing (except maybe B-Fine).  Now, you're more than welcome to reply and turn this back around on me.  I would be defensive to if I get called out like this.  But believe me when I tell you that there are a lot of people rolling their eyes and/or groaning at this superfan/super lawyer act.  It;s tired.

Someone saying would should have signed Dansby over Harrison should be obvious to most.  And pointing that fact out doesn't diminish the signing now.  It simply means he would have liked him here sooner.  What in the hell could anyone find wrong with such a simple statement?

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 02:55 PM)Crowe Wrote: They probably are right, however while serviceable I still see Vinny personally as a backup/st type player. I hope Dawson get's his chance and shines this year. I also think the Bengals will try to use Flowers as their hybrid S/LB.

Vinny actually has started more-so than not but i see him the same way you do.

Vinny has tons of heart but our best LB'ers are definately Burfict and Dansby now and Vinny is a bit undersized
to start on running downs in place of Maualuga in my opinion. Bfine and Ocho like you said are probably right
about Vinny opening up the first 3 week at WILL, i just have high hopes for Dawson on down the line.

Flowers could fill that role if he can just stay healthy. I have liked what i have seen from the guy but it has not
been much cause of injury. We also will probably draft a LB'er. Still a lot to happen.
Reply/Quote
I still wouldn't mind taking Jaylon Smith as early as the second round. Roll the dice.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 03:05 PM)Shady Wrote: I still wouldn't mind taking Jaylon Smith as early as the second round. Roll the dice.

I wouldn't either, that guy could be great if he can get over those horrific injuries.

Might be worth the gamble. Worth it more than a Hunt pick.
Reply/Quote
Good signing. Dansby is very good in coverage and we don't really have a LB that excels in that perspective.

Also, why is everyone thinking this signing and Vinny Rey means they're not happy with Dawson? Our LBs were Burfict, Maualuga, Dawson, Hawk, and Flowers. Burfict is out for a few games. Hawk was terrible. And Flowers was hurt. We needed depth and Dansby is a good signing.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Better late than never.

What do you mean late?  Careful, the superfan police will write you up for that.
Reply/Quote
Dig it. I'll say that like it a lot more than I did the Hawk signing. And I suppose I'll like it even more when I see the contract details.

Dansby is one of those guys I feel like I've called for about every other year for awhile. Similar to Boldin and Bush when they hit the market every other year for awhile. Dansby is simply a great football player. And even an older one is still better than most.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 12:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: was too expensive then

False. It actually wasn't a matter of expense. The Bengals wanted him to sign a 2 year deal, he wanted a 1 year deal so he could rebuild his FA value. Harrison was willing to sign a 2 year deal so the Bengals signed him, and instead Arizona offered Dansby a 1 year deal.

Dansby signed a 1yr/$2.25m deal with Arizona.
Harrison signed a 2yr/$4.45m deal with Cincinnati.

Wasn't money, was length of contract, which is goofy because Arizona got 1 year of Dansby at 2nd-team All-Pro level, Bengals ended up getting 1 year of Harrison at turd level before having to cut him anyway.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote