Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals signing Eli Apple
(03-23-2021, 09:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was the same team with Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart... and led by McAdoo.

That lockerroom was an unmitigated disaster.

Too bad we let Bobby go, maybe his input would've swayed things.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 08:49 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Don't get this at all. He sucks, not sure why they aren't bringing  Alexander back.  He was clearly someone that should of been retained and is better than at least 2 of the cornerbacks  we signed.

Alexander to Apple is like comparing apples to oranges

Except Eli Apple wasn't brought in to replace Mackenzie Alexander, Mike Hilton was.  Hilton is going to be a stud, Apple is going to be the 4th or 5th CB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 09:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Except Eli Apple wasn't brought in to replace Mackenzie Alexander, Mike Hilton was.  Hilton is going to be a stud, Apple is going to be the 4th or 5th CB.

A die hard fan of the Steelers at my work today said he's pretty upset they lost Hilton.

This guy might be a new favorite in Bengaldom if he's all that he's cracked up to be.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 09:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: A die hard fan of the Steelers at my work today said he's pretty upset they lost Hilton.

This guy might be a new favorite in Bengaldom if he's all that he's cracked up to be.

Same here. I have a good friend who is all Steelers, and he is pissed that we took Hilton from them. Also, I thought Alexander was very solid last year, and basically every FA grader and scout consider Hilton way better and ranked him a lot higher on the FA list. If that is true we really have something because Alexander was rock solid when he played. We were a better D when he was on the field. Hilton could be huge for this defense. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 09:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was the same team with Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart... and led by McAdoo.

That lockerroom was an unmitigated disaster.

Ahhh, yeah that locker room. McAdoo was a terrible coach. But hey Zac hasn't been much better record wise probably worse.

One thing about Zac though as Harley said is he doesn't put up with canceris behavior I think Vonn had a say in this as well as 
others stated. Vonn Bell is a cool dude and the leader we need to keep Apple in line. Liking the signing more now especially since
Apple is a backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 09:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: A die hard fan of the Steelers at my work today said he's pretty upset they lost Hilton.

Great to hear, makes me feel good. Smirk

(03-23-2021, 09:37 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Same here. I have a good friend who is all Steelers, and he is pissed that we took Hilton from them. Also, I thought Alexander was very solid last year, and basically every FA grader and scout consider Hilton way better and ranked him a lot higher on the FA list. If that is true we really have something because Alexander was rock solid when he played. We were a better D when he was on the field. Hilton could be huge for this defense. 

Yes, when we moved on from Alexander (which as far as I know we still could get him back) it was initially rough until I heard
about Hilton being even better. Blew my mind a bit cause I loved Mackenzie. If Steeler fans are pissed this was an even better 
signing than I initially thought. They get spoiled with great players on Defense. Just hope Lou uses him like they did in Pitt.
Reply/Quote
Awww.. What are you guys being so mean to Steeler fans? What? because they're spoiled and their guys can do no wrong ever? Well, OK..I'll buy that plus they're kind of crappy in a generalized kind of way too..although I do know one really nice lady who happens to be a squeeler fan, but I let her know that ONE PEEP and it's SLAM, BOOM STRAIGHT TO THE MOON!  Smirk (not really) 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 09:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Except Eli Apple wasn't brought in to replace Mackenzie Alexander, Mike Hilton was.  Hilton is going to be a stud, Apple is going to be the 4th or 5th CB.

The thing is hilton doesn't have to replace Alexander.  Why not keep both? Definitely can afford to either way he still should be here over apple and the kid from Dallas. 
Reply/Quote
They've been trying to replace Phillips for 2 years in a row it seems. Something is up with them and Phillips.

Normally they at least act like they want to keep their own.

They've long decided to let Phillips walk. I think it's odd. Will he be happy returning punts full time? Seems he's been demoted (again). After another solid year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've been trying to replace Phillips for 2 years in a row it seems. Something is up with them and Phillips.

Normally they at least act like they want to keep their own.

They've long decided to let Phillips walk. I think it's odd.

It is probably that he has problems staying healthy. I like him though and he should compete for a starting spot IMO.

Phillips can be a ballhawk. Need this on our team with everyone dropping balls besides Bates. 

Even Bates dropped that ball against the Steelers, could of turned that first Steelers game right around right there.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:11 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: The thing is hilton doesn't have to replace Alexander.  Why not keep both? Definitely can afford to either way he still should be here over apple and the kid from Dallas. 

I don't know the answer to that question.  But I am sure that Hilton's total skill set is much broader than what Alexander offered.  As for Owuzi?  He's a fine boundary corner, who is very adept in the zone scheme, he should do fine.  I'm sure that Apple is just another zone corner to provide depth.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is probably that he has problems staying healthy. I like him though and he should compete for a starting spot IMO.

Phillips can be a ballhawk. Need this on our team with everyone dropping balls besides Bates. 

Even Bates dropped that ball against the Steelers, could of turned that first Steelers game right around right there.
I like Phillips as well hopefully he still is in front of the rotten apple
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:39 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: I like Phillips as well hopefully he still is in front of the rotten apple

What does that statement even mean??  Personally, I hope Phillips becomes the full time punt returner, I think that he can make some noise in that role.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They've brought in plenty of defenders that fit the style (whatever it is) that Lou wants us to run. I say it's a good thing because if this defense continues to suck with "his guys" in place, then there's ZERO excuse to fire his ass during or after the season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
This is the type of reclamation project that used to be our big time main off-season move.

I’m a fan. Sounds like he was a young buck having a hard time going through some personal stuff early in his career. Solid as hell pickup for a #5 CB
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  McAdoo was a terrible coach. But hey Zac hasn't been much better record wise probably worse.

A lot worse actually.

McAdoo was 13-15 as a head coach and went 11-5 and made the playoffs in his first year.  He had a .464 winning percentage.

At .203, pretty much every coach has been better than Zac Taylor.  Hell, Hue Jackson is ever so slightly ahead of him at .205.  Even Dave Shula is at  .268.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 10:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What does that statement even mean??  Personally, I hope Phillips becomes the full time punt returner, I think that he can make some noise in that role.

Means he should be in front of Apple in the depth chart as a CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 02:26 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A lot worse actually.

McAdoo was 13-15 as a head coach and went 11-5 and made the playoffs in his first year.  He had a .464 winning percentage.

At .203, pretty much every coach has been better than Zac Taylor.  Hell, Hue Jackson is ever so slightly ahead of him at .205.  Even Dave Shula is at  .268.

Here's the fun part. At 6-25-1, if the Bengals go 15-2 this year, Zac will still only be 21-27-1. Then if they follow that with a 12-5 season, he will finally creep over .500 at 33-32-1 after 4 years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 02:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's the fun part. At 6-25-1, if the Bengals go 15-2 this year, Zac will still only be 21-27-1. Then if they follow that with a 12-5 season, he will finally creep over .500 at 33-32-1 after 4 years. 

8-8-1 gets him 5 more years. He has time to even it out
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 05:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never heard that before, makes me wonder about the pick up. I don't like hearing that even if it was multiple years ago and 
will just be a back up. Talented obviously being a former top 10 pick and anything to not see LeShaun Sims on the field again
is a good move. Just hope Apple has his head on his shoulders now.

Yes, hopefully this season he can be a (Son of) Man.
Reply/Quote