Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals switching Onterio McCalebb to Receiver
What are your guys thoughts on Bengals attempting to try switching McCalebb from DB to a receiver? Do you think he could make the team and would he help the team?

I personally think that it's nice that he gets to go back to his old position, also that the Bengals are trying some things out and seeing if they work out for the team. Let's just hope it pans out as Hobson was talking about adding another "receiver" to the mix.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
He's going from one pretty deep position group to another.

He probably isn't going to make the roster either way.
Reply/Quote
Does this means he sits on a different bench, or what?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 03:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Does this means he sits on a different bench, or what?

With a different Gatorade cooler.
Reply/Quote
It just means he'll be listed as a WR on the practice squad.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He's really too small to successful anywhere but receiver. Unfortunately the team has one of the best returners in the league and another player drafted specifically for that purpose. He's destined for the practive squad until he's off the team (and probably the league)
Reply/Quote
He wasnt gonna make the team as a CB or a WR. People (super homers) are weird for thinking he had a chance just because he was fast.
Reply/Quote
He was electric with the ball in his hands in college. I think he could easily take over the Sanz role but I also think this is a mid-summer fluff piece that I have heard/read before. Looking forward to seeing him get a few chances in pre-season but at the end of the day I agree with the young buck. (Eox)
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 05:13 PM)Element Wrote: He wasnt gonna make the team as a CB or a WR. People (super homers) are weird for thinking he had a chance just because he was fast.

I'm not saying that I disagree but his speed alone gives him a shot. Speed kills in big boy football.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 04:21 PM)Stormborn Wrote: With a different Gatorade cooler.

Yea, like Mike Brown is springing for variety there.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 03:33 PM)djs7685 Wrote: He's going from one pretty deep position group to another.

He probably isn't going to make the roster either way.

This.

Who knows, maybe he can surprise us in training camp? 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 05:20 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm not saying that I disagree but his speed alone gives him a shot. Speed kills in big boy football.

The league has no shortage of guys under 6 foot with good 40 yard dash times and a decent college record. It's a hard chunk of guys to distance yourself from, at WR or DB.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 05:28 PM)Benton Wrote: The league has no shortage of guys under 6 foot with good 40 yard dash times and a decent college record. It's a hard chunk of guys to distance yourself from, at WR or DB.

I feel ya and you're definitely right, but I am still interested in watching him get a few chances in PS. The coaches have kept him around for awhile now so he must be giving them the occasional glimpse of promise that they like to see.
Reply/Quote
He's still not going to make the team. There is too big of a batter at WR between players that are better than him. It's the same situation at CB though. He doesn't stand much of a chance here.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 05:20 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm not saying that I disagree but his speed alone gives him a shot. Speed kills in big boy football.

Agreed, but Mario Alford is just as fast and actually has experience at WR.

I don't see McCalebb making it. PS at best.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

It's likely the speed factor that got him into playing DB, in college.

I've always been under the belief that the main reason guys switch from WR to DB is because the hands aren't the best.  Do you think there is any truth to that common myth?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's likely the speed factor that got him into playing DB, in college.

I've always been under the belief that the main reason guys switch from WR to DB is because the hands aren't the best.  Do you think there is any truth to that common myth?

It probably comes more to skillset. If you can't catch at WR you're just not going to play. They aren't going to switch you positions
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 04:37 PM)eoxyod Wrote: He's really too small to successful anywhere but receiver. 

This.  

I don't know why they ever tried him at CB.  You can be 5'10" and play CB, but you have to weigh more than 170.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 05:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yea, like Mike Brown is springing for variety there.

No doubt. The cooler is on the middle of a long bench. WR's on one side, DB's on the other.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 07:52 PM)eoxyod Wrote: It probably comes more to skillset. If you can't catch at WR you're just not going to play. They aren't going to switch you positions

Seeing how many HS receivers end up playing DB in college, I tend to think that the hands thing come into play.

Why would any team, at any level take a receiver with great catching ability, and put him on the opposite side of the ball?  The answer to me is simple, he has the speed and athleticism, knows what a receiver is supposed to do, just does not catch the ball as well as he should.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote