Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals tied for most sacks allowed
So.... how do we fix this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Run the ball more out of shotgun with Bernard. More quick passes as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I hate to say it but the fans had it right in the off season.

Fans said, "Replace Bodine!"

Alexander said, "It's just a Bodine witch hunt."

Marv said, "We'll take another CB in the first round then and let him play the position in a few years."

Dalton says, "Ouch!"

Dalton says, "Ouch!"

Marv says, "We've gotta play better."

Dalton says, "Ouch!"

Marv says, "We've gotta play better," as he suppresses a giggle realizing it's completely inappropriate.

Alexander says nothing to nobody.

Fans ask, "What should we do?"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Well seeing as we gave up like 6 the first game and only 3 the past two I think it's already fixed...As much as people want to blame our offensive woes for Andy being under pressure, he really hasn't faced that that much the past two games. Are their QBS that face less? Yea, obviously. But most teams have just as much or more pressure then he has seen the past two games. We just don't have people who can get open and outside of one 50 yard run we have no run game.
Reply/Quote
Imagine if there wasn't a QB behind it who had one of the quickest releases in all of the NFL.

That's why I crack up even more when I see people calling for Dalton to be benched and start McCarron. As if it's somehow Dalton's fault and McCarron's significantly slower release and significant less pre-snap reading ability wouldn't have him be broken in a couple games.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:07 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I hate to say it but the fans had it right in the off season.

Fans said, "Replace Bodine!"

Alexander said, "It's just a Bodine witch hunt."

Marv said, "We'll take another CB in the first round then and let him play the position in a few years."

Dalton says, "Ouch!"

Dalton says, "Ouch!"

Marv says, "We've gotta play better."

Dalton says, "Ouch!"

Marv says, "We've gotta play better," as he suppresses a giggle realizing it's completely inappropriate.

Alexander says nothing to nobody.

Fans ask, "What should we do?"

He actually admitted after the pit game that, the area of concern on the line is one person. But he would not name them...
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:13 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Well seeing as we gave up like 6 the first game and only 3 the past two I think it's already fixed...As much as people want to blame our offensive woes for Andy being under pressure, he really hasn't faced that that much the past two games. Are their QBS that face less? Yea, obviously. But most teams have just as much or more pressure then he has seen the past two games. We just don't have people who can get open and outside of one 50 yard run we have no run game.

Pressure isn't just sacks. We've had no pocket all three games, and Andy has been getting hit a lot since the start of the season. So no, most teams do not have as much or more pressure. Our OL is not opening holes in the run game and the only reason the pass protection numbers aren't worse is our QB has the second fastest career release time in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:13 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Well seeing as we gave up like 6 the first game and only 3 the past two I think it's already fixed...As much as people want to blame our offensive woes for Andy being under pressure, he really hasn't faced that that much the past two games. Are their QBS that face less? Yea, obviously. But most teams have just as much or more pressure then he has seen the past two games. We just don't have people who can get open and outside of one 50 yard run we have no run game.

Uhh, baloney.  For the second game in a row, Andy got his helmet ripped or knocked off.  This is a team that prided itself on having strong lines, on both sides of the ball.  That simply isn't the case right now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Stop it. Do you guys even watch other games? Other QBs get hit, pressured, and have people in their face all of the time. Ben got pressured way more then Dalton did during the game at Pitt. The difference was they made big plays down the field and the Bengals couldn't he open. Siemien was hit and had pressure during the game too, but they made plays down the field.

The Bengals problem is their run game blows and they don't have anyone who can get open down the field right now. I agree the lines have both been weak, but stop acting like Dalton is the only person facing pressure. Outside of one game by a few people, the offense as a whole has been bad, even when Andy does have time.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 06:42 PM)milksheikh Wrote: So.... how do we fix this?

There is a fix but it will require a complete rethinking of the offensive line pass blocking technique.  Picture the play unfolding from above, directly over Andy Dalton in the shotgun formation.  As the ball is snapped, the linemen should push forward, thereby expanding the pocket.  The inverted "U" shape should be nice and big to give Andy room to maneuver, set his feet, and throw. Unfortunately, the opposite is happening:  The inverted "U" shape is collapsing into Andy because the Cincinnati offensive linemen, especially the tackles, back up too much.  When the defensive ends or linebackers hit the tackles who are already going backwards, the impact makes the tackles go back faster.  Such a thing is a defensive end's dream scenario and it makes getting to the quarterback much easier.

If the Bengals could expand the pocket or at least sustain pocket integrity, Andy Dalton wouldn't be sacked very much at all. The best offensive lines at expanding the pocket are New England and Pittsburgh.  Tom Brady is rarely sacked and Ben Roethlisberger always has lots of room to move while finding an open receiver.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Pressure isn't just sacks. We've had no pocket all three games, and Andy has been getting hit a lot since the start of the season. So no, most teams do not have as much or more pressure. Our OL is not opening holes in the run game and the only reason the pass protection numbers aren't worse is our QB has the second fastest career release time in the NFL.

Andy looked really pissed and frustrated after his helmet came off last game..

:/
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
You're tied for the most sacks allowed. OOOOh.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Pressure isn't just sacks. We've had no pocket all three games, and Andy has been getting hit a lot since the start of the season. So no, most teams do not have as much or more pressure. Our OL is not opening holes in the run game and the only reason the pass protection numbers aren't worse is our QB has the second fastest career release time in the NFL.

Sweetness, you are absolutely CORRECT! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 09:23 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Stop it. Do you guys even watch other games?  Other QBs get hit, pressured, and have people in their face all of the time. Ben got pressured way more then Dalton did during the game at Pitt. The difference was they made big plays down the field and the Bengals couldn't he open. Siemien was hit and had pressure during the game too, but they made plays down the field.

The Bengals problem is their run game blows and they don't have anyone who can get open down the field right now. I agree the lines have both been weak, but stop acting like Dalton is the only person facing pressure. Outside of one game by a few people, the offense as a whole has been bad, even when Andy does have time.

So "most times sacked in the NFL" proof be damned, Andy clearly has as much time as any other QB out there because....reasons?
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 09:23 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Stop it. Do you guys even watch other games?  Other QBs get hit, pressured, and have people in their face all of the time. Ben got pressured way more then Dalton did during the game at Pitt. The difference was the officials didn't call the holds that allowed them to allude sacks and make big plays down the field and the Bengals couldn't he open. Siemien was hit and had pressure during the game too, but they made plays down the field.

Fixed it for ya!
Reply/Quote
Andy has about 2 seconds every time he drops back.

Reply/Quote
lol @ "the line was fixed". We gave up 6 sacks the last two games. How the hell was the line fixed?
Reply/Quote
O-line play has been downright dreadful.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 11:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So "most times sacked in the NFL" proof be damned, Andy clearly has as much time as any other QB out there because....reasons?

Well apparently "pressure isn't just sacks" so I guess that proof do be damned. And like I said earlier, over half their sacks came in the first game and another 2 were in the last minute of the game last week. 

Our run blocking has been beyond bad, but outside of the first game and the last minute of the Denver game the pass blocking really hasn't been any worse then any other team. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 12:06 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: lol @ "the line was fixed". We gave up 6 sacks the last two games. How the hell was the line fixed?

It's only been 5 and 2 of them came in the last minute of a game where the best pass rushing team in the league knew we had to pass. So for pretty much 119 minutes they only gave up 3 sacks. Is it good? God no. Is it the worst ever and worst pass blocking line in the league? No. 
Reply/Quote