Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals top 10 most popular team in American sports
(11-16-2022, 12:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone notice NFL teams missing?

Steelers!!!!!!!!
Bucs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bills!!!

The Steelers finally being down, and even looking like they might have missed on their 1st round QB is just the absolute best.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 12:09 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Go BGSU!

And yes, the boost in popularity doesn't hurt!

I actually root for several MAC schools! 

In my odd pipedream thoughts the Bengals becoming popular = Burrow gets favorable calls from refs in the Super Bowl.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I am curious if this is based on some sort of cumulative jersey sales figure.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 12:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone notice NFL teams missing?

Steelers!!!!!!!!
Bucs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bills!!!

I think being a Bills fan must be as heart-wrenching as being a Bengals fan. They have 4 playoff/Super Bowl losses that are simply encapsulated by two or three words: The Drop, 13 Seconds, Music City Miracle, and Wide Right. At least three of those have their own Wikipedia pages. I think if they get back to the Super Bowl they'll be fan darlings.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 12:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I went to the Super Bowl in LA with my wife. We went to the convention center for the NFL show. We were there about 6 hours and we ran into at least 100 converted Bengals fans wearing LSU jerseys. We spoke to a number of them and they love Burrow and Chase. 

Yeah. Louisiana and Georgia have huge contingencies of college football fans who aren't necessarily fans of the states ' NFL teams. Plop 2 all time (national championship winning) LSU players on one NFL team, and boom!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Adding Burrow and Chase helped especially in th South im sure but making the Super Bowl really propelled us into the spot light., thought in our own state, most polls ive seen have us behind the Browns.. WTF
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t know how much validity this “study” really has, but I do know the salt from all the Bengals haters (ie Steelers & Ravens fans) in the replies is glorious. LOL

Don't really see much of that going on in this thread.  

But does sound odd that the Bengals are amongst the most popular teams presently. 

Must be as someone suggested from jersey sales and the Bengals having new two star players in Burrow and Chase and most likely have sold tons of jersey's last couple of years. With Bengals fans buying and LSU fans as well, can see this being the case. But live in Louisville just 90 miles from Cincinnati and have not seen anymore Bengals fans then there were beforehand. 

Plus they're already being flexed out of primetime slots. 

Anyway question my fandom all you want, but the orange and black stripes have been running thru my veins for over 50 years without ever wavering. Remember the first year the Bengals added the stripes to their helmets and went to the SB and we hosted a Striper Bowl party and had a keg of Little Kings shipped in for the party 41 years ago. Had season tickets from 1991 to 2021 as well and there is no way a person who is not a loyal fan can endure those years at that cost without being a diehard. 

Anyway would be happy to see them as popular as the Yankees, Lakers, and Cowboys, just don't see it just yet. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Pretty cool. What a difference having a true franchise QB makes.

Wild world we live in. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Not buying it. There are too many bandwagon Stooler and Raider fans out there. And while the Stooler fans get real quiet when they are not winning, I can't imagine Stoolers and Raiders gear don't each outsell Bengals gear by a landslide.
Reply/Quote
That's cool and all but what is Sidelines.io that the post says the study was done by? When I go to that site it looks like some cheesy sports betting advice site and I can't easily find how the study by them was conducted. I can't even find it mentioned on their website, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. Sorry but I'd take those rankings more seriously if they were done by someone else than some sports bets .whatever site.

I'm sure the Bengals have increased in popularity after last year and that's great. But as in all things social media you have to question such things.

Edit: I did a little more digging and I did find this about the "study" that states how it was apparently conducted.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11431325/LA-Lakers-popular-sports-team-America-says-new-study.html

Quote:The list has been worked out by odds comparison experts Sidelines.io, who analyzed each team's number of followers, mentions, engagement rate, average likes and average attendance.

But of interest this ground breaking study has not been picked up by any major US sports media sources that I could find via Google search. Maybe they are just slow. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Burrow Chase Factor!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 01:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't really see much of that going on in this thread. 

Pretty sure they're talking about the thread on twitter.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 01:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't really see much of that going on in this thread.  

I was talking about the replies to the original tweet.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 07:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was talking about the replies to the original tweet.

Guess I did not read those, sorry

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
My heart says, "Great! Bengals are popular again!"....but my gut says it's just a whole lot of people waiting for the inevitable prime time crash the Bengals are so famous for...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Has to be jersey sales which would explain some MLB and NBA teams ahead. Less players to choose from and more start drive. No doubt it’s burrow and Chase factor.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 12:10 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Has to be jersey sales which would explain some MLB and NBA teams ahead. Less players to choose from and more start drive. No doubt it’s burrow and Chase factor.

No. As I mentioned above the best I could find on this "study".

Quote:The list has been worked out by odds comparison experts Sidelines.io, who analyzed each team's number of followers, mentions, engagement rate, average likes and average attendance.

So a study done by some sports betting advice website that is apparently putting a lot of weight on social media mentions and engagement rate. Again, I have not seen any major sports media report on the findings of this "study". 

Update I just looked again and this was one of the only few other news outlets I saw it mentioned.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/where-do-the-warriors-rank-among-most-popular-american-sports-teams/

Quote:The study measured American professional sports teams using the following factors:

• Number of Instagram followers
  • Social media mentions
  • Engagement rate
  • Average likes
  • Average attendance

Again I'm certain the Bengals have increased in popularity and that's cool.  But this "study" is mostly BS because it seems heavily weighted toward social media followers (apparently Instagram), mentions (which could be just about anything good or bad) and engagement rate which I'm not sure how that is defined.  Honestly the whole thing looks like something that sports betting advice site just used to garner more attention to their website.

Heck new findings from my study we will call it the Top 3 Most Hated NFL teams.  Results

1.  Steelers
2.  Ravens
3.  Browns

Study was conducted by reading the BengalsBoard.com and also a post I saw on Instagram where Jessica said she hates the Steelers.  That post got 5 likes.   Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 12:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yeah, I still have to tell people I started being a Bengal fan around 1991 and I had to wait 25 years before seeing a Bengal team end the season above .500. Don't give me shit about being a Bengal fan NOW. Especially when from 1993-2009 I lived in, around, and near Pittsburgh and never stopped being a Bengal fan.  

In cow town Butler PA too
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown must feel very incompetent.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Pretty cool. What a difference having a true franchise QB makes.

WOW!!!! Never would have thought I would see the day where the Bengals are mentioned with the likes of the Yankees or Cowboys. Amazing what a well liked franchise QB can do. Going to the SB sure helps.
Reply/Quote