Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals unlikely to be aggressive in free agency
(02-19-2023, 10:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The only place I would like the Front Office to show some mild aggression in free agency is at right tackle.  La’el Collins has injury issues and runs through the right B-gap are still problematic.  Making a serious play for Mike McGlinchey or Germain Ifedi might be a wise move.

(02-19-2023, 10:16 PM)samhain Wrote: The don't have the needs they once did.  

In the last three offseason, we've seen them grab 4-5 outside guys of various price tags.  

I'm good with them not spending big, but I think they need to consider bringing in an OL or 2.  

It is indeed getting to be crunch time with the roster, but it's also the absolute last year that they will be able to go "all in" and add a piece.

If we cant draft oline then we will have a very difficult time.  Cant have 5 guys from FA.  We suck at drafting oline and the scouting staff needs to step it up.

It is highly doubtful we sign back to back RT in free agency, especially with the first one still getting paid...

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 06:42 PM)JumboTron Wrote: This was one of the most bizarre takes I've seen in awhile.  I mean this would've hit differently in 2011....but wow.

This time in 2011 they had just finished the rookie years of Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley, and Geno Atkins when drafting in the 20s. So that is actually a bizarre year to choose to make your statement with. (Sorta unrelated, but interesting side note, James Develin was also signed as UDFA by the Bengals in 2010. He would win 3 SBs with the Patriots.)

Don't forget just because they got back-to-back top-5 picks and got Burrow and Chase. The Bengals have still not been good drafters when they don't have easy blue chip prospect choices sitting there at the top. 7/11ths of the Bengals starting defense in 2022 came from the outside. The only 2 OL who were any good on the Bengals came from the outside. There's huge sections of this team that they have simply outsourced. It worked, but it doesn't mean the Bengals 4 scouts are suddenly good at drafting and they haven't had to rely on other team's players to become good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 10:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The only place I would like the Front Office to show some mild aggression in free agency is at right tackle.  La’el Collins has injury issues and runs through the right B-gap are still problematic.  Making a serious play for Mike McGlinchey or Germain Ifedi might be a wise move.

McGlinchey's grades may be better but his pressure numbers are right on par with Collins. He is a better run blocker but SF is zone heavy. He will probably carry a high price tag. 

Ifedi should be a solid no unless you want Bobby Hart v2. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If we cant draft oline then we will have a very difficult time.  Cant have 5 guys from FA.  We suck at drafting oline and the scouting staff needs to step it up.

It is highly doubtful we sign back to back RT in free agency, especially with the first one still getting paid...

Trying to outbid someone else, and winning, could mean having about 22M+ locked into RT. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think we are handling the split duties of the GM spot well.

But, Im sorry fellas, in the last decade this scouting department's best oline draft picks in over a decade are Jonah (led league in sacks) and Volson (bottom 10 of all guards in the league according to PFF).

We lost the SB because of the oline.  We were injured this year so who knws, but we did it with FA's, our 2 home growners were far from the best.  We must draft better oline, period.  

I hate having such a limited staff, I know they say they like it, I think we all expect them to say that, but it may be true.  Other team have analytics departments, we have one nerd.  We can be better, it isnt a big ask, just like the indoor facility, amazing how quick those real estate issues cleared up...

There is no way of defending the decisions on the OL for quite some time. But until the injuries whether the short passing game made a huge influence or not we were better.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 02:35 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: First time in a long time where this is reasonable. We could still add a nice piece or two for mid/low level contracts, but we are not in a position to give out big contracts to outside FA’s this offseason. Keep our guys and figure out Burrow’s extension are the big items this offseason. Need to hit on draft picks and keep developing our young guys to put us over the top.

I predict (link below) that they'll end up going back to a previous plan of signing a few cut vets that don't count against comp picks. I say end up, because if the right signing were available, they'll jump on it.  We have prestige and can attract ring chasers, why would we squander that?  

The problem is, a big splash like long term stability at Tackle with Brown or McClinchy will tie a large cap hit into the 4th or 5th year to get them to sign, and not line up well from hits from guys like Burrow, Wilson or Tee and especially Chase.  

Plan A should be getting Burrow done NOW so you know how the deal will be structured, get Wilson signed and 2 more year out of Reader by front loading an extension.  Spend some of this year's money to front load some vets so their latter years aren't so high.  If they clean up on extending half the 2024 guys, it opens up the draft (they're notorious for drafting to replace guys in their last year) and you get to see how far the gap is on Tee.  

Signing cut vets will end up being as good as 2nd tier UFAs, and allows you to still get the 3rd/4th for Bates, 4th/5th's for Pratt and Hurst, ect...  Again, if the right vet is signed, so be it.  But if the playing field is similar, the picks are important and can be dealt for vet players.  

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Here-is-the-potential-free-agency-list-we-should-be-using
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 03:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Step 1: Have an actual professional competent GM.
Step 2: Have an actual scouting department rather than like 4 of them.
Step 3: Listen to those scouts rather than calling up Paul Alexander or seeing a really fast 40 time.

So.... we're screwed on that front once we're no longer picking top-5. Lol

- - - - -
Side note edit: Are we calling Hendrickson a less heralded pickup now? He was made the 8th highest paid DE in the league when he signed.

Bengals fans need to get over this quickly because its going to be a very common thing over the next decade or so. Paul Alexander has built a business evaluating OL prospects for the draft. His business actually started because he is so well known for OL scouting that agents reached out to him to look at their guys. Every team in the NFL is talking to PA right now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 01:21 AM)phil413 Wrote: I predict (link below) that they'll end up going back to a previous plan of signing a few cut vets that don't count against comp picks. I say end up, because if the right signing were available, they'll jump on it.  We have prestige and can attract ring chasers, why would we squander that?  

The problem is, a big splash like long term stability at Tackle with Brown or McClinchy will tie a large cap hit into the 4th or 5th year to get them to sign, and not line up well from hits from guys like Burrow, Wilson or Tee and especially Chase.  

Plan A should be getting Burrow done NOW so you know how the deal will be structured, get Wilson signed and 2 more year out of Reader by front loading an extension.  Spend some of this year's money to front load some vets so their latter years aren't so high.  If they clean up on extending half the 2024 guys, it opens up the draft (they're notorious for drafting to replace guys in their last year) and you get to see how far the gap is on Tee.  

Signing cut vets will end up being as good as 2nd tier UFAs, and allows you to still get the 3rd/4th for Bates, 4th/5th's for Pratt and Hurst, ect...  Again, if the right vet is signed, so be it.  But if the playing field is similar, the picks are important and can be dealt for vet players.  

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Here-is-the-potential-free-agency-list-we-should-be-using

This is dead on, it is all about timing from here on out.  Until they have Joe's deal under wraps they cant do much.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 01:21 AM)phil413 Wrote: I predict (link below) that they'll end up going back to a previous plan of signing a few cut vets that don't count against comp picks. I say end up, because if the right signing were available, they'll jump on it.  We have prestige and can attract ring chasers, why would we squander that?  

Phil, this is remarkably astute for something written at 1 a.m.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 02:17 PM)Trademark Wrote: The cap will obviously start affecting us,” Bengals pro scouting director Steven Radicevic said, via The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. (subscription required). “We are not going to be able to go out and spend and pay a bunch of guys. We are going to try to keep our own guys.

“The last couple of years we’ve been able to add in free agency and add some pieces places where we were missing guys and add some depth, add starters through free agency. Now it’s going to be keeping our guys, sustain the roster we have and then build through the draft and waiver claims.”

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/02/bengals-unlikely-to-be-aggressive-in-free-agency

This is precisely why I don't think the Bengals are going to go out and get any big-name FAs to upgrade positions.
The Bengals obviously feel their roster the past couple years is championship-caliber (and justifiably so).
They are going to try to keep their own, and they'll go after replacements once they find out whether any of their FAs are departing.
However, by the time that happens, many of the top-tier guys are likely going to be unavailable, so it will be those mid-tier guys who they could end up getting.
They'll use the draft to get guys to groom and add depth.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 02:00 AM)Synric Wrote: Bengals fans need to get over this quickly because its going to be a very common thing over the next decade or so. Paul Alexander has built a business evaluating OL prospects for the draft. His business actually started because he is so well known for OL scouting that agents reached out to him to look at their guys. Every team in the NFL is talking to PA right now.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think we are handling the split duties of the GM spot well.

But, Im sorry fellas, in the last decade this scouting department's best oline draft picks in over a decade are Jonah (led league in sacks) and Volson (bottom 10 of all guards in the league according to PFF).

We lost the SB because of the oline.  We were injured this year so who knws, but we did it with FA's, our 2 home growners were far from the best.  We must draft better oline, period.  

I hate having such a limited staff, I know they say they like it, I think we all expect them to say that, but it may be true.  Other team have analytics departments, we have one nerd.  We can be better, it isnt a big ask, just like the indoor facility, amazing how quick those real estate issues cleared up...

Agree, but Zac does have the biggest staff the Bengals have ever had. It's painfully slow progress, but there is some being made.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 03:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

For real, he sure as shit couldn't scout em his last several years here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to be aggressive with upgrading the roster - the window is now.

That doesn't mean signing a bunch of FAs, though.

They can still upgrade via trade or even by trading up in the draft if there is a guy they really value at tackle that they can plug in and play day 1.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think we sign one pretty big free agent and that’s it.

Would love to take a flyer on a pretty good pass rushing linebacker. If Khalil Mack was a FA he’d definitely be a guy I’d go after.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 05:06 PM)Housh Wrote: I think we sign one pretty big free agent and that’s it.

Would love to take a flyer on a pretty good pass rushing linebacker. If Khalil Mack was a FA he’d definitely be a guy I’d go after.

Their direction is Joe and Tee. This year. So I don’t think they spend any.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 05:06 PM)Housh Wrote: I think we sign one pretty big free agent and that’s it.

A pass rusher would be great, but we already spend the 2nd most money on the dline than any other team in the NFL.  And how much will Mack cost to play only situational downs?

Von Bell may be our "big" free agent signing.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 04:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: For real, he sure as shit couldn't scout em his last several years here.

I have a hard time seeing Jerrah firing his ass half way through his first year, then picking up the phone to get his advice.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 05:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I have a hard time seeing Jerrah firing his ass half way through his first year, then picking up the phone to get his advice.

NFL Teams will gather as much information from as many sources as possible when drafting. PA didn't just go evaluate Jackson Carman he also did Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, and around 15 other guys. 

He was working with Oklahoma's Anton Harrison and Ohio State's Paris Johnson a few weeks ago.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 06:23 PM)Synric Wrote: NFL Teams will gather as much information from as many sources as possible when drafting. PA didn't just go evaluate Jackson Carman he also did Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, and around 15 other guys. 

He was working with Oklahoma's Anton Harrison a few weeks ago.

No doubt, i get that teams want as much info as possible. I just don't know that PAs evaluations match his supposed reputation. I'm the furthest thing from an Oline guru you can find but it's not like he has some great track record. 

He doesn't seem to have too much negative to say about anyone coming out. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks of Dawand Jones. 

Reply/Quote