Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals unlikely to be aggressive in free agency
(02-23-2023, 07:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You are joking, right?

Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and CTB are all 2nd round guys. 

Logan Wilson, Pratt, Hubbard, and Ossai 3rd round. 

Volson & ADG & Cam Sample in the 4th. 

McPherson in the 5th. 

Evans in the 6th. 

Bailey in the 7th. 

I'll never understand Evans in the 6th...

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He's still a decent back - that's not the issue. The issue is that he is making way too much money for the production you are getting out of him. We are paying 12 million for a running back that touches the ball 10-15 times a game. He's the 6th highest paid runningback in the NFL. 

If Mixon want's to restructure then thats fine - but I am actually all for cutting him, signing Perine for significantly less, and then drafting some speed in the later rounds of the draft. 

100% agree, the Bengals do not run the ball often and will not anytime soon. There is no reason to pay big money for a RB for a team that passes first.
Reply/Quote
So I guess ol' Hobspin has already come out with his yearly article explaining away our cap space? $20 million to rookies, $10 million "injury buffer", the rest to retain our own? Oh wait, it's not 2014 anymore. Ninja

I'm fine with this, and tbh I wasn't expecting much this year. They've been aggressive when we had the space to do so, which is all any of us (me, Pistons, Jungle Juice, Toast Jones, etc) were asking for all along.

It's a good time to be a Bengals fan.

I'm still posting my yearly tire kicking pic though. LOL

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...ipo=images]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So I guess ol' Hobspin has already come out with his yearly article explaining away our cap space? $20 million to rookies, $10 million "injury buffer", the rest to retain our own? Oh wait, it's not 2014 anymore.   Ninja  

I'm fine with this, and tbh I wasn't expecting much this year. They've been aggressive when we had the space to do so, which is all any of us (me, Pistons, Jungle Juice, Toast Jones, etc) were asking for all along.

Hobson, like Lapham is much less of a reliable source in the Taylor era.  He said they weren't going to spend much the year they went out and got Reader, Waynes and Alexander, either.

They are less likely to spend this year, but his numbers are always pretty laughable.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:52 PM)samhain Wrote: Hobson, like Lapham is much less of a reliable source in the Taylor era.  He said they weren't going to spend much the year they went out and got Reader, Waynes and Alexander, either.

They are less likely to spend this year, but his numbers are always pretty laughable.

Lap also said we weren't interested in Collins before he visited.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So I guess ol' Hobspin has already come out with his yearly article explaining away our cap space? $20 million to rookies, $10 million "injury buffer", the rest to retain our own? Oh wait, it's not 2014 anymore.   Ninja  

Never gets old. The last few offseasons have been a ton of fun since we finally watched this team actually look aggressive. I'm expecting a quieter free agency period this year and focus more on extensions and re-signings. 

Might see a 1 year deal or two from guys chasing a ring.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Classic. Nice Hobspin being wrong a lot lately about all of this. Doubt he is AS wrong this year though. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 07:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'll never understand Evans in the 6th...

Personally, I would have gone after Khalil Herbert, who surprisingly was still there when Bengals selected in the 6th.
He's been continually increasing his workload the past 2 seasons, putting up 731 rush yards, 4 rush TDs, and another 57-1 in the passing game just this past season.
I guess Bengals really wanted someone they thought was a good pass catcher and had more potential, which is why they went Evans?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personally, I would have gone after Khalil Herbert, who surprisingly was still there when Bengals selected in the 6th.
He's been continually increasing his workload the past 2 seasons, putting up 731 rush yards, 4 rush TDs, and another 57-1 in the passing game just this past season.
I guess Bengals really wanted someone they thought was a good pass catcher and had more potential, which is why they went Evans?

Khalil Herbert is very good. What a whiff Evans was knowing Herbert was there
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personally, I would have gone after Khalil Herbert, who surprisingly was still there when Bengals selected in the 6th.

(02-24-2023, 06:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Khalil Herbert is very good. What a whiff Evans was knowing Herbert was there

Herbert is a good get. 

What NFL team is dumb enough to draft a RB who has only started 5 games in 5 years? One that was suspended for an entire season and the UM coaching staff were pretty clear that they couldnt Evens potential out of him... so we thought we could?  We do this with the 6th pick while KC is beating us and winning a SB with a 7th rounder, but he actually had 563 carries, Evans had 34 rushing attempts in his last 3 years in college.  Damn, I want to kick something... and jsut when I think we cant get any stupider, we draft Carmen over Creed... 

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:52 PM)samhain Wrote: Hobson, like Lapham is much less of a reliable source in the Taylor era.  He said they weren't going to spend much the year they went out and got Reader, Waynes and Alexander, either.

Good ole Hobspin  Hilarious The Bengals have a bazillon dollars to spend but according to his mathematics gymnastics we're liking 11teen dollars of having 57 cents.

And yes I agree the Bengals are not likely to make big waves in free agency this year. I'm just hoping they address the Oline. I'll be happy with just that.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 02:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good ole Hobspin  Hilarious The Bengals have a bazillon dollars to spend but according to his mathematics gymnastics we're liking 11teen dollars of having 57 cents.

And yes I agree the Bengals are not likely to make big waves in free agency this year. I'm just hoping they address the Oline. I'll be happy with just that.

They have the 4th or 6th most cap space in the league.  If they are broke, then I guess only 3-5 other teams will be involved in the free agent market this offseason.  

I love it.  Should at least drive prices down with only a handful of teams being potential suitors.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 02:31 PM)samhain Wrote: They have the 4th or 6th most cap space in the league.  If they are broke, then I guess only 3-5 other teams will be involved in the free agent market this offseason.  

I love it.  Should at least drive prices down with only a handful of teams being potential suitors.  

Yes, it is pretty laughable how Hobspin spins things. We are in a great spot going into FA, we get to extend our Franchise QB and 
improve the team with an OT while retaining our own essential players. I also really like the guys we got in FA last year and in the
draft, we are doing good things. Karras, Cappa, Dax Hill, CTB, Volson will all be back and I think were great grabs.

Daxton Hill will show this season why he was a first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 02:31 PM)samhain Wrote:
They have the 4th or 6th most cap space in the league.
 If they are broke, then I guess only 3-5 other teams will be involved in the free agent market this offseason.  

They only have that much until they ink the Burrow deal, and then the Higgins deal.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 02:31 PM)samhain Wrote: They have the 4th or 6th most cap space in the league.  If they are broke, then I guess only 3-5 other teams will be involved in the free agent market this offseason.  

It's not the cap space that they are needing, as much as the liquidity to spend/escrow all of the up front cash that so many deals are asking for these days.  

The salary cap system and later on the slotted rookie contract systems were put in place to maintain some even conditions for teams, so that all teams may be able to enjoy some semblance of competitive balance.  I honestly expect the issue of fully guaranteed contracts to be an item of huge contention in Owners meetings and CBA negotiations going forward.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 11:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not the cap space that they are needing, as much as the liquidity to spend/escrow all of the up front cash that so many deals are asking for these days.  

The salary cap system and later on the slotted rookie contract systems were put in place to maintain some even conditions for teams, so that all teams may be able to enjoy some semblance of competitive balance.  I honestly expect the issue of fully guaranteed contracts to be an item of huge contention in Owners meetings and CBA negotiations going forward.  

Yeah, I cannot think of anywhere else in the world where a business contract if fully guaranteed if one party is unable to fulfill it's part.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 10:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They only have that much until they ink the Burrow deal, and then the Higgins deal.

Burrow and Higgins deals this offseason will have a very minimal impact on this current cap.  They gonna kick Mike Brown in the ass when it comes to cash out of pocket though...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 11:44 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Burrow and Higgins deals this offseason will have a very minimal impact on this current cap.  They gonna kick Mike Brown in the ass when it comes to cash out of pocket though...

Which is why I have been steadily predicting that the Burrow deal will get done, but Tee Higgins will simply end up playing out the 4th year of his contract.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is why I have been steadily predicting that the Burrow deal will get done, but Tee Higgins will simply end up playing out the 4th year of his contract.

Might be up to Burrow...?

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Might be up to Burrow...?

Shouldn't be all up to Burrow to make financial concessions, it will take cooperation on part of all parties involved.  I've heard many players over the years say that they want to keep the team together and they hope that the numbers will work out, but ultimately the agent typically reminds them that they need to be paid like the superstar that they are.  Then it becomes "football is a business, I had to make a business decision".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote