Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals vs. Browns 2.0 and Mike Brown
(10-22-2020, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hell no, that is not enough. Bring in a new coach if that is the case.

Man, I really wish we could've landed Del Rio....
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:40 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: Man, I really wish we could've landed Del Rio....

Same, he was my top choice followed by Beinemy.

But hey Wade Phillips wants a job, I say give him one if Del Rio doesn't fit the FO's type of personality.

Hell with personality anyways, it has got us 3 wins in 22 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hell no, that is not enough. Bring in a new coach if that is the case.

So what is? Most on here expected a losing season even with all the moves and draft we made though sadly FAs have not worked out very well.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 04:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think there is almost no way that ZT doesn't get a third year.  I am partly in support of him getting one more year, but maybe changing the OC or at the very least offensive line coach.  The rest of this season will tell us a lot.  
Just taking play calling duties away from ZT and a new Oline coach could be huge...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I doubt a move is made after this game unless it's a 45-6 beat down.

However getting swept by Browns no matter the scores will be a big nail in his coffin.
Reply/Quote
I doubt the Blackburn’s care about the Browns vendetta as much as Mike. And it would likely take their say to fire Taylor. He’s not going anywhere no matter what happens Sunday.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 06:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point on Zac being a great talker.

He needs to string together at least 2 wins for me to even gain a little faith. His record has to be one of the worst records in NFL 
history this many games as a new HC.

Yeah I agree with stringing together some wins. Ive listened to his excuses long enough. I know we've just been a play or 2 away from winning a bunch more games because ZT reminds us every week after we lose another close one. But it just isnt working for me anymore. He has got to find a way to win some games. Especially after blowing a 21 point lead to lose another close one.
Reply/Quote
Mike brown will fire Taylor this offseason and hire marvin lewis
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dick LeBeau only got two drafts and two offseasons to turn the team around.

The front office spent $145 million on free agents this offseason.  They like their money too much to waste another season on a HC who can't do anything with that talent.

In addition to the bounty of free agents Zac also got the number 1 offensive lineman from the 2019 draft, the number one overall pick from the 2020 draft and AJ Green. 

Zac also has ZERO track record to give the front office any confidence that he knows what he is doing

There is no excuse for him not to show a HUGE improvement over 2019.  If he doesn't then I think he is done.

I felt the exact same way entering the season.  Then, Tupou opted out.  Then, they lost Wren.  Then, they lost Waynes.  Then, they lost Geno.  Then, they lost XSF.  Then, Green appeared (verified by gamepass MPH) slow and somewhat lost.  Ross disappeared, again.  Reader was lost.  Daniels was lost.  Hubbard was lost.  Dunlap disappeared.  

I know, those are "excuses" and the Bengals said that there are none.  However, the only real addition in FA that is still out there doing anything is Vonn Bell, who I expected a lot of but will give some time in this defense. 

I was so hoping they could be 4-4 at the bye as I saw the defense potentially starting to get by mid year and, hopefully, hitting stride down the stretch.  I am probably more surprised about the lack of offense but I way overestimated what they had in the receiving corps.

If you look at the draft, they are getting real production and game over game improvement by J. Williams (I know he was drafted in 19), Higgins, Wilson, ADG, and Khalid Kareem.  I can't remember a rookie draft class that has seen the field more this early in their career.  That part is actually pretty impressive and bodes well for them moving forward.  That is one reason I wouldn't overhaul the coaching staff just yet.

Clearly, there is some financial matters to attend to (getting what you can for the likes of Dunlap, Atkins (not as sold on that), Green, Ross, and maybe Gio and Williams.  But once that is completed, a FA move like Joe Thuney to shore up RG would allow XSF to move to his natural spot LG.  Maybe we see Adeniji push at RT this year?  And the next draft should add a lot of talent and an infusion of youth in the defensive line as well as offensive line.  

ZT will likely be here unless he duplicates another two win season.  And I simply don't see that happening.  
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 05:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I felt the exact same way entering the season.  Then, Tupou opted out.  Then, they lost Wren.  Then, they lost Waynes.  Then, they lost Geno.  Then, they lost XSF.  Then, Green appeared (verified by gamepass MPH) slow and somewhat lost.  Ross disappeared, again.  Reader was lost.  Daniels was lost.  Hubbard was lost.  Dunlap disappeared.  

I know, those are "excuses" and the Bengals said that there are none.  However, the only real addition in FA that is still out there doing anything is Vonn Bell, who I expected a lot of but will give some time in this defense. 

I was so hoping they could be 4-4 at the bye as I saw the defense potentially starting to get by mid year and, hopefully, hitting stride down the stretch.  I am probably more surprised about the lack of offense but I way overestimated what they had in the receiving corps.

If you look at the draft, they are getting real production and game over game improvement by J. Williams (I know he was drafted in 19), Higgins, Wilson, ADG, and Khalid Kareem.  I can't remember a rookie draft class that has seen the field more this early in their career.  That part is actually pretty impressive and bodes well for them moving forward.  That is one reason I wouldn't overhaul the coaching staff just yet.

Clearly, there is some financial matters to attend to (getting what you can for the likes of Dunlap, Atkins (not as sold on that), Green, Ross, and maybe Gio and Williams.  But once that is completed, a FA move like Joe Thuney to shore up RG would allow XSF to move to his natural spot LG.  Maybe we see Adeniji push at RT this year?  And the next draft should add a lot of talent and an infusion of youth in the defensive line as well as offensive line.  

ZT will likely be here unless he duplicates another two win season.  And I simply don't see that happening.  
Nice post!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cleveland Browns come to town this weekend for the second Bengals-Browns game of the year.  It's interesting both intra-Ohio games are taking place in the first half of the season before the Bengals' bye week which brings something to mind.

If the Bengals lose to the Browns on Sunday do you think the Front Office might make some coaching changes during the bye week?  What about the end of the season?

It has stuck with me that Marvin Lewis was retained after several consecutive losing seasons but let go after the first season where the Bengals dropped both games to Cleveland.  In all his seasons as head coach, Marvin never lost two games to the Browns but the moment he did in 2018 BAM!  He was gone.  Might Zac Taylor suffer a similar fate?

Let's not forget Mike Brown worked for his father Paul in Cleveland.  He hero-worshiped his father and made sure the Bengals' new stadium was named after his father.  Mike Brown might not be ahead of the times as a team president but he has two redeeming qualities:  (1) Extreme loyalty and (2) a vitriolic hatred of the Cleveland Browns.  Mike Brown is keenly aware of January 9, 1963; that's the day Art Modell fired Paul Brown which meant Mikey Boy was out of work too. 

Mike went to work with his father again in Cincinnati but he never lost his hate for the Cleveland Browns.  Two losses to Cleveland may be the needed catalyst for change.

Mike Brown isn't running the team anymore. Just look at the coaching search. Yes, supposedly MB was a part of the "council" that decided on the new HC, but it was the group that made the decision. Likewise, it's more likely the "council" will make the decision on when to part ways with ZT.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 08:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So what is? Most on here expected a losing season even with all the moves and draft we made though sadly FAs have not worked out very well.. 

We need to win at least 7 games this year and do so in a fashion that shows a team coming together and a coaching staff 
that is not completely inept. You don't ignore the O-line to get your new Franchise QB killed and to make sure you don't 
have any gaps for your newly paid Franchise RB. You don't primarily run Zone Defense with Man Corners, you don't ignore 
the QB sneak when it always fricking works etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:44 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah I agree with stringing together some wins. Ive listened to his excuses long enough. I know we've just been a play or 2 away from winning a bunch more games because ZT reminds us every week after we lose another close one. But it just isnt working for me anymore. He has got to find a way to win some games. Especially after blowing a 21 point lead to lose another close one.

Feel the exact same Bengaloo. I like Taylor but we ALL like winning more. That is all that matters.

I don't just want to be competitive, that doesn't matter. I want to win and win big. If we can go on a winning streak maybe I could 
get back on the Taylor train that ended last season after the 49ers game lol
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 05:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I felt the exact same way entering the season.  Then, Tupou opted out.  Then, they lost Wren.  Then, they lost Waynes.  Then, they lost Geno.  Then, they lost XSF.  Then, Green appeared (verified by gamepass MPH) slow and somewhat lost.  Ross disappeared, again.  Reader was lost.  Daniels was lost.  Hubbard was lost.  Dunlap disappeared.  

Hard to disagree with this Racer, damn. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It will be interesting to see how this game plays out compared to week 2. Chubb is out so hopefully they can’t run like they did before, even though Hunt is a very capable replacement. Going into week 2 there was a lot of grumbling around Mayfield’s struggles, then he got right against us. Same thing going on now, even talk of Keenum taking over. Will Mayfield light us up again?

I watched Pitt beat Mayfield up last week. If our D can get to him and knock him around some, maybe he gets shaky like last week. I'm actually pretty terrified of what may happen to Burrow against Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:38 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I watched Pitt beat Mayfield up last week. If our D can get to him and knock him around some, maybe he gets shaky like last week. I'm actually pretty terrified of what may happen to Burrow against Pitt.

Has our D got to and knocked around any QB this year?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't recent history show that the HC gets shown the door after being swept by the Browns as FIK shown?

dotdotdot

1. Marv was at least a couple years past his expiration date and probably hung around that time against his better judgement. 

2. Mike Brown's father was fired by Art Modell. Not the city of Cleveland. "The Browns" packed up and left Cleveland for Baltimore in 1995. Why would Mike Brown hate the city of Cleveland for something they had no part in?

3. This is the part of this message board that i hate and it drives me crazy. People say crazy shit, then all of the sudden it becomes a thing. 

If Zac Taylor gets fired, it's because of his shitty record up to now. It won't be because he lost twice to the Browns in the same year. What kind of logical or even common sense thought process is that? What if Marv had just happened to lose twice to the Browns anytime between 2011 and 2015? Was Mike gonna fire him then?

Make it ***** stop.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Has our D got to and knocked around any QB this year?

I know right! That's my Bengal optimism showing. I'm hoping that maybe Lou's sorry arse will learn something that we can use by watching the Pitt film.

They're D was scary good on Sunday. Honestly, I'm truly concerned for JB's health, when we have to play them. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 02:38 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I watched Pitt beat Mayfield up last week. If our D can get to him and knock him around some, maybe he gets shaky like last week. I'm actually pretty terrified of what may happen to Burrow against Pitt.

They have a great offensive line, and Pitt got through it.  That doesn't bode well for Cincy with no pass rush against Cleveland, or for Cincy against pitt when on offense, either.  

I will say this...The Bengals are due for that one game where everything clicks and they smoke someone.  While I would prefer pitt over anyone, it could be Cleveland.  I'm not very optimistic about it without Mixon and WJIII
Reply/Quote

I usually wouldn't watch either team but that's what I got on my " regional" coverage, Florida? Pitt obviously gets preferential treatment because of their fan base.

Had to stream the Bengals but I'm used to that.
Reply/Quote