Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals vs SB Team
Bengals: "Sure we went 4-11-1 and our QB got abused and broken, and our OL group is about as healthy as a leper colony... but we got a new OL Coach and added a 33-year-old FA on a 1 year deal. Keep the HC, keep the DC, time to draft a WR!"

Chiefs: "Two of our OL were hurt and our MVP QB got battered in the SB. That's not acceptable. We want to win SBs, not lose SBs. Lets go sign the top G FA out there who is a 2nd Team All-Pro, get another 2nd Team All-Pro G out of retirement, and then trade for a 25-year-old 2x Pro Bowl T."

It's embarrassing sometimes to have how differently the Bengals are run from successful franchises thrown in your face like this. Even the Chargers went out and signed Linsley, Feilier, and are still probably going OL in the 1st round and they were basically in the same QB/OL situation as the Bengals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
We didn't win no 5 games.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Chiefs can give up picks their already have a SB team and in win now mode. We can't, we actually need more picks than we have. I like or oline unlike others I feel all we need is a good OG and depth will be fine. Cheifs probably over did it a bit much but good for them in "win now mode".

Yes we will draft chase but this draft is not a 1 round draft, not sure why people still don't get that.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 06:43 PM)jason Wrote: We didn't win no 5 games.

Yeah, fat fingered that one. You could tell since 5-11-1 didn't even add up to 16 games.   Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 06:54 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Chiefs can give up picks their already have a SB team and in win now mode. We can't, we actually need more picks than we have. I like or oline unlike others I feel all we need is a good OG and depth will be fine. Cheifs probably over did it a bit much but good for them in "win now mode".

Yes we will draft chase but this draft is not a 1 round draft, not sure why people still don't get that.

I have never had to give this to anyone on this board before, but this? This statement has earned you the stern gaze of The Disappointed Canadian

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Music 
(04-23-2021, 07:08 PM)Burma Wrote: I have never had to give this to anyone on this board before, but this? This statement has earned you the stern gaze of The Disappointed Canadian

I'll take it. My thoughts....

https://giphy.com/gifs/espn-Z9nIPmio1WI8D7YWyX
Reply/Quote
For those of you unfamiliar with how the NFL works it is pretty common for top teams with deep solid rosters and only one or two holes to pay big with free agent dollars or draft picks to fill those holes. at the same time teams at the very bottom with tons of holes often spread out their resources more to fix as many problems as possible.

Anyone expecting a bottom feeder like the Bengals to make the same types of moves as a Super Bowl conternder just does not understand the NFL very well.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For those of you unfamiliar with how the NFL works it is pretty common for top teams with deep solid rosters and only one or two holes to pay big with free agent dollars or draft picks to fill those holes. at the same time teams at the very bottom with tons of holes often spread out their resources more to fix as many problems as possible.

Anyone expecting a bottom feeder like the Bengals to make the same types of moves as a Super Bowl conternder just does not understand the NFL very well.

I'd actually be pissed if we gave that up for Brown.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Starting Olinemen lost by KCC:

Eric Fischer

Austin Reiter

Michael Swartz

Have they improved?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The value difference between pick #5 and #31 is why this trade makes sense for KC but not for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:19 PM)jason Wrote: I'd actually be pissed if we gave that up for Brown.

(04-23-2021, 10:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The value difference between pick #5 and #31 is why this trade makes sense for KC but not for us.

This thread isn't about the trade itself. It's about the difference in mindsets and priorities in the FO. The Bengals have a large problem, the same problem they've had for 4 years now. They've made little effort to solve that problem, while teams with a fraction of the cap space and a fraction of the draft capital are doing so much more.

Reply/Quote
The notion that the Bengals operate in a wildly different manner to the NFL norm is largely fan hysteria and misconception. I think isolated moments in time really amplified that perception (e.g., the No Gatorade Incident or Mike Brown spitballing about converting a DE to TE on Hard Knocks). They operate quite a lot like Pittsburgh in general. The last couple offseasons notwithstanding, both franchises tend to eschew noisy free agency splashes, build through the draft, and retain coaches for a long time in spite of fan vitriol. Hell, even the Patriots have long followed a relatively similar pattern.

They're lauded as model franchises, and we're regarded as a joke. We can validly note the difference in postseason success when it comes to the coach retention variable, but otherwise it's not that different.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:19 PM)jason Wrote: I'd actually be pissed if we gave that up for Brown.

Me as well... that's insane. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 11:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This thread isn't about the trade itself. It's about the difference in mindsets and priorities in the FO. The Bengals have a large problem, the same problem they've had for 4 years now. They've made little effort to solve that problem, while teams with a fraction of the cap space and a fraction of the draft capital are doing so much more.

Well I wouldn't have been pissed had we made a similar trade as this one between 2013 and 2015... When we were right there. But yeah; your point is definitely taken.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 11:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This thread isn't about the trade itself. It's about the difference in mindsets and priorities in the FO. The Bengals have a large problem, the same problem they've had for 4 years now. They've made little effort to solve that problem, while teams with a fraction of the cap space and a fraction of the draft capital are doing so much more.

The point you are missing is the difference in context.

If the Chiefs had our roster right now they would not be dumping all their resources on one position.

Super Bowl contenders who are "one player away" almost always make different moves from teams at the bottom with multiple holes in their roster.  It does not make sense to expect the Bengals to make the same moves as the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote

Which oline has gotten better this off season; ours or theirs? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Starting Olinemen lost by KCC:

Eric Fischer

Austin Reiter

Michael Swartz

Have they improved?

Good damn question.

We added Reiff, brought back Spain and are in the perfect situation to Draft Sewell and some damn good OL in a deep OL draft.

I understand TLL's point but it isn't over yet and we have Pollack here now instead of Turner.

I wouldn't of liked it if we paid that much for Orlando Brown and Thuney cause we couldn't of got Hendrickson, Ogunjobi or even
some of the Secondary players we got in Hilton and Awuzie. Really like Hilton who is even better than Alexander who I hated losing.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP. Although the Bengals couldn't of afforded to go all in on one position group like that because they have more holes to fill. They don't attack positions of need like other teams. A couple of years ago when the Steelers defense was really off to a rough start they traded a 1st rd pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick and turned theyre defense around. The Bengals would never do something like that. Also I don't have a great understanding of the salary cap. But I've seen a couple instances earlier this offseason where teams convert some of a players salary to a roster bonus to help out with cap space. I wonder why the Bengals couldn't of done something like that with Gio instead of asking him to take a paycut and then releasing him. Giving us another potential hole to fill when we could've kept him one more year.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 07:56 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: A couple of years ago when the Steelers defense was really off to a rough start they traded a 1st rd pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick and turned theyre defense around. The Bengals would never do something like that.

We needed an OT three years ago and traded for the 8th highest OT in the league.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 09:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Starting Olinemen lost by KCC:

Eric Fischer

Austin Reiter

Michael Swartz

Have they improved?

Starting Linemen added:

Orlando Brown

Joe Thuney

Kyle Long

Austin Blythe

I'd say yes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote