Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals work out 8 players during the bye week
Didn't see this posted anywhere.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/bengals-tryouts-kony-ealy-8-others-bye-week/
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 11:54 AM)McC Wrote: Didn't see this posted anywhere.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/bengals-tryouts-kony-ealy-8-others-bye-week/

Ealy is an interesting depth option. I think in rotation he could be decent. Ripkowski has had his moments as a decent FB so it would be interesting to see if we are looking at getting more into an old school I formation. 
Reply/Quote
Adding a FB would be an interesting wrinkle, especially if they actually used him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 11:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Adding a FB would be an interesting wrinkle, especially if they actually used him.

Is it a bit of a change in philosophy?  A FB with decent hands can make for a pretty good check down option too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:03 PM)McC Wrote: Is it a bit of a change in philosophy?  A FB with decent hands can make for a pretty good check down option too.

I like the Koyack workout.

Guy went to ND so you know he's already a cut above, but his blocking is decent and he has great hands.

Wanted the Bengals to draft him and Jax proceeded to not give him any snaps, only for him to do fairly well when he actually GOT snaps.

Ealy indeed is another interesting option, however I'm of the (unpopular) opinion that we're fine at DE.

EDIT: All the LBs worked out, are rush/outside LBs, probably someone in the mould of Lawson/Chris Carter.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I see playoffs with this strategy. Argh
Reply/Quote
Liked the side articles idea and know others have purposed it as well.

Moving Boling to RT and leaving Westerman as LG.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Aaron Wallace has not done anything with the Titans, but I remember he was a incredible athlete when they drafted him.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see what Ealy could do in our rotation now that Lawson is out for the year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Liked the side articles idea and know others have purposed it as well.

Same here.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I see playoffs with this strategy.  Argh

It has worked before.

This is how we got players like Wallace Gilberry, Cedric Benson, and Dhani Jones.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I like the Koyack workout.

Guy went to ND so you know he's already a cut above, but his blocking is decent and he has great hands.

Wanted the Bengals to draft him and Jax proceeded to not give him any snaps, only for him to do fairly well when he actually GOT snaps.

Ealy indeed is another interesting option, however I'm of the (unpopular) opinion that we're fine at DE.

EDIT: All the LBs worked out, are rush/outside LBs, probably someone in the mould of Lawson/Chris Carter.

To bolded:  Talk about a coaching staff with tunnel vision..  We're getting eaten alive in coverage, and up the gut runs, so they look at edge rushers..

Also interesting that we had a pretty good H-Back on the team last year, now he plays for the Colts.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 01:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded:  Talk about a coaching staff with tunnel vision..  We're getting eaten alive in coverage, and up the gut runs, so they look at edge rushers..

It is because we are looking to replace outside rusher Carl Lawson.
Reply/Quote
I think Navorro Bowman who is only 30 would be a good player to look at. Obviously something is up though if he's still out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 11:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Adding a FB would be an interesting wrinkle, especially if they actually used him.

(11-01-2018, 12:03 PM)McC Wrote: Is it a bit of a change in philosophy?  A FB with decent hands can make for a pretty good check down option too.

I agree. FB is actually the most critical need. Since Cethan Carter injury and Hewitt release (which happened almost simultaneously), the playbook has shrunk quite a bit.

A durable FB who can catch (which is a pre-requisite of one), will open up the playbook.

A two back, two TE set would be deadly. You could run or release the TE and/or FB or both, and pass out of it.

It would save the season.

At this time, we can't establish the run, which showed in KC and TB game.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 01:31 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I agree. FB is actually the most critical need. Since Cethan Carter injury and Hewitt release (which happened almost simultaneously), the playbook has shrunk quite a bit.

A durable FB who can catch (which is a pre-requisite of one), will open up the playbook.

A two back, two TE set would be deadly. You could run or release the TE and/or FB or both, and pass out of it.

It would save the season.

At this time, we can't establish the run, which showed in KC and TB game.

Well really the TE's we have are basically blockers so moving the blocker to in front of the RB seems to make sense.

Ideally your TE's are highly skilled pass catchers who can block, but injuries don't allow that.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Liked the side articles idea and know others have purposed it as well.

I'd prefer to see Westerman at LG, Price at C, Boling at RG and try Hopkins at RT. 
Reply/Quote
Offensive line positions...especially Tackle and Guard spots aren't interchangeable like that. It's a totally different skillset.

Honestly, I know people like to bash Hart...but Glenn and Hart's play has been about equal on the year. Glenn has been a fairly big disappointment. Maybe it's injuries and he'll recover this week?
Reply/Quote
Please tell me there's a LB in there capable of covering more than a fire hydrant.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is because we are looking to replace outside rusher Carl Lawson.

I understand that they're trying to replace Lawson, but it would seem that someone more adept at coverage or stuffing the run would be more of a priority, unless the coaches don't notice the lackluster coverage and porous run defense as a problem?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote