Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals workout David Nelson & Santonio Holmes
Possibility that any of them sign with us? I could see Holmes signing with us bringing in veteran presence. I would've prefered Reggie Wayne but oh well.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/801914
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Isn't Reggie Wayne like 50 years old?

And who the hell is David Nelson?
Reply/Quote
Santonio had a good season or two, but not enough to hang onto as a veteran player. Not enough production. Nelson might be worth a look though. I didn't watch a lot of Buffalo, but I did try to catch some when Fitzpatrick was throwing and Nelson seemed like a reliable target. If I remember right, he didn't get a lot of separation, but that's teachable to a degree. At least teachable enough to a guy fourth or fifth on the depth chart.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think that they need Holmes' presence.  He always came off as a dick to me, and I'm an OSU homer.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Isn't Reggie Wayne like 50 years old?

Googled. 37.

He should have just retired as a Colt. If Peyton couldn't get him a job, that doesn't bode well.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:43 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Possibility that any of them sign with us? I could see Holmes signing with us bringing in veteran presence. I would've prefered Reggie Wayne but oh well.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/801914

Holmes was great as a Steeler, but then lost his way.

He is not worth the risk in my opinion with the character concerns and he blew up the Jets it appeared.

I am all for second chances, but not so sure Holmes will ever be the same he was early in his career.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Isn't Reggie Wayne like 50 years old?

Ozzie and Harriet's oldest son.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I just saw some David Nelson highlights and he looked pretty decent.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
There was a time when I would have welcomed Santonio Holmes to the team.  Now he would be like Laveraneus Coles v2.0, but with attitude problems to boot.  No thank you.
Reply/Quote
Holmes hasn't really made an impact on any team since 2011 Never fully regained himself after the injuries, was cut by the Bears, in mid-season, last year. Couldn't even get picked up by the Chiefs. (everyone knows how badly they needed receivers)

Nelson, nothing special either. Mediocre receiver, with a bad wheel..

No thanks.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And who the hell is David Nelson?

In 2013 when we crushed the Jets he had arguably the best game of his career 8 catches for 80 yards.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Holmes is nothing more than a name at this point. He'd add nothing positive to this team.

I wouldn't mind Nelson since we're looking for a 4th/5th WR.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Just to provide an alternate point of view on Holmes, he did have 456 yards (19.8 ypc) in 11 games for the Jets in 2013. That would come out to 663 yards for 16 games. Not terrible, considering a rookie Geno Smith was his QB. He didn't do much for the Bears last year, but besides Marshall, Jeffery, Forte and Bennett, no one on the Bears had more than 17 catches. He's not going to be the Holmes of old, but he may be worth a look.

Btw, Nelson was also on the Jets that year and posted 423 yards (11.8 ypc) in 12 games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 04:03 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I just saw some David Nelson highlights and he looked pretty decent.

I'm sure it's possible to make a highlight reel that makes the 1998 Bengals look decent. Also, I'll take the fact that the Bengals are looking at a veritable who-isn't-who of WRs means Moore looks like crap so far.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 12:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote:  Also, I'll take the fact that the Bengals are looking at a veritable who-isn't-who of WRs means Moore looks like crap so far.

They may not have been impressed by Moore so far, but they didn't start bring these guys in until Wright went on IR.  So it is more about Wright's injury than anything else.
Reply/Quote
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Top-10-Performances-David-Nelson-vs-Oakland/c52d72aa-7f4e-4791-bf02-870efef12efc

Sure it's a highlight reel of one of his best games to date, but I like Nelson. In an offense where defenses are going to plan around Green, Jones, and (hopefully) a RB or TE breaking off, I think Nelson could quietly contribute.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 12:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They may not have been impressed by Moore so far, but they didn't start bring these guys in until Wright went on IR.  So it is more about Wright's injury than anything else.

seems about right they replaced James Wright with a UDFa and greg little.

Wondering if they are still looking at these guys for now or in case someone doesnt make it thru camp.
Reply/Quote