Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernard released
"Got any of them RB contracts?"
[Image: th?id=OIP.7fCJACyfNCDZEd1B5UBFzQHaEK&pid...=307&h=174]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 07:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Gio still made over $600K (from prior bonuses), they saved 4.1 Million by the cut. No cut and Gio makes almost 4.8 million in 2021.

No, he does not.  And, even if he did, it's still a far cry from the $7M+ that the poster I was responding to was claiming.

It's all very simple.  His salary was to be $3.7M and his bonuses brought it up to a total of $4.1M in yearly cash.  Just open and read the link, the numbers from sources that track this sort of thing don't lie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Seeing some confusion regarding Gio's numbers for this season. Here's what they would have looked like:

---3.7 mil base
---666k signing bonus (shout at the devil)
---200k roster bonus
---200k workout bonus

Signing bonus stays on books, and is dead money. The rest is cleared.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:18 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: "Got any of them RB contracts?"

Who is that?

Walton?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Seeing some confusion regarding Gio's numbers for this season.  Here's what they would have looked like:

---3.7 mil base
---200k roster bonus
---200k workout bonus

Signing bonus stays on books, and is dead money.  The rest is cleared.

TY for clarifying

No cut and cap hit was 4,766,000 (almost 8 million) for Bengals in 2021

Again, he was asked to stay, but take a pay cut comparable to what 2021 running backs are making, he refused so let's wait and see if Gio gets 4.1 million guaranteed in 2021 or less, if less how much less prior to saying Bengals made a bad business decision by cutting him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who is that?

Walton?

[Image: DyrReswWoAU29D-?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 07:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have not read through the thread yet. I am sure some are not happy, some are happy and some maybe don't understand why or why now. I have been calling for his release or trade for a long time. This is y opinion on what went down.

They asked Gio to take a 50% pay cuts since he makes more than our 2 starting guards combined. Gio said no. Next, they put him on the trade market and no team was will to pay him 4.7 million in 2021 so no offers. So, they cut him to use he money more wisely on another FA guard, WR or position of need.

I love the move and wish we would now go after Zac Ertz in a trade, with io being cut, we have the cap space to do it.

TY Gio for being a true pro, no doubt you are a top tier back up RB, but not worth 4.7 million in 2021. All the best t o Gio, he s a class act and a good RB.

Great post!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, he does not.  And, even if he did, it's still a far cry from the $7M+ that the poster I was responding to was claiming.

It's all very simple.  His salary was to be $3.7M and his bonuses brought it up to a total of $4.1M in yearly cash.  Just open and read the link, the numbers from sources that track this sort of thing don't lie.

Gio had a cap hit of $4.7m. That is in your link, and is what other posters are trying to say.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:59 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Sproles was on a $3.5m deal.... Bernard's was $7m. Similar cap hit, but twice the money.... especially in today's NFL. That trade was in 2014.

(04-07-2021, 10:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Gio had a cap hit of $4.7m. That is in your link, and is what other posters are trying to say.

Are you sure about that?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure about that?

I hadn’t read PDubs response, but there is also a reason I responded to your post where you are saying Luvnit is wrong. I will rephrase to be more accurate.

Gio had a $4.7m cap hit in 2021, and that is right there in your link. This is what Luvnit is trying to say.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 07:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don’t have a problem with the Bengals cutting someone when they have their replacements such as Hart who shouldn’t have been re-signed to his contact anyway. But, is Ogunjobi better than a healthy Atkins? And where was Perrine on the depth chart last year?

Geno’s and Gio’s contracts would fit under the salary cap and if the Bengals were actually signing a free agent or extending a current player they could release either at that time to create cap space if needed.

Healthy Atkins?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: where in the heck are you getting that number?  I went to the sportrac site, and yearly cash was $4.1M, nothing more.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/giovani-bernard-12318/

(04-07-2021, 07:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Gio still made over $600K (from prior bonuses), they saved 4.1 Million by the cut. No cut and Gio makes almost 4.8 million in 2021.

(04-07-2021, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, he does not.  And, even if he did, it's still a far cry from the $7M+ that the poster I was responding to was claiming.

(04-07-2021, 08:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Seeing some confusion regarding Gio's numbers for this season.  Here's what they would have looked like:

---3.7 mil base
---200k roster bonus
---200k workout bonus

Signing bonus stays on books, and is dead money.  The rest is cleared.

(04-07-2021, 10:25 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I hadn’t read PDubs response, but there is also a reason I responded to your post where you are saying Luvnit is wrong. I will rephrase to be more accurate.

Gio had a $4.7m cap hit in 2021, and that is right there in your link. This is what Luvnit is trying to say.

Dear Everyone,

Doing more research on it, you guys are 100% right. The website I used to look at the contract details had incorrectly prorated a bonus and added it onto the last year of the deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:25 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I hadn’t read PDubs response, but there is also a reason I responded to your post where you are saying Luvnit is wrong. I will rephrase to be more accurate.

Cap hit and yearly cash are both listed on the link.  Not sure what everyone is quibbling about.  The team saved $4.1M, and ate $.666M in dead cap.  PDub has explained his reason for the original inaccuracy that I initially responded to.  So, I guess we can all put this topic to bed.

Still sad that Bernard is no longer a Bengal.  Wish the best for him, wherever he lands.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This was a good move.Nothing against Gio because he is a very good RB.But with Perine and Williams in the background,it was inevitable.I like Perine as well as I do Mixon.Would like to see more of Williams.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:18 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: "Got any of them RB contracts?"

If you smoke caine you a stupid mother******

- Ice Cube
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:57 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Seems like the rumors of teams calling about a trade were exaggerated. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at a lower salary. 

Why would he come back when the point of asking for release was due to being asked to cut salary?
Reply/Quote
Anybody got any idea how much cap we saved by cutting Gio?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 12:00 AM)DrunkHuddles Wrote: Why would he come back when the point of asking for release was due to being asked to cut salary?

While the Bengals were already sitting on like $23m in unused cap space, no less. Not like they asked him to take a cut so they could get under the cap, or so they could have enough room to sign a FA.

Honestly my biggest problem is that in an offseason where they have already done embarrassingly little to protect Joe Burrow, this move makes Burrow's protection worse.

The increase from Hart to Reiff just got cut down off at the knees a little by removing Bernard's blocking. Mixon is not a good blocker and unless Zac Taylor completely changes his approach this season, he's going to call an offense where the starting QB is going to make an absurd amount of pass attempts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 12:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Anybody got any idea how much cap we saved by cutting Gio?

$4.1 million
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: His cap hit was almost 4.8 million, that dead money was paid to Gio in bonuses to him to work in future years. They saved 4.1 million so simple, add the dead money to the 4.1 million and close to 4.8 million 2021 cap hit prior to cutting him.

I need to correct my last statement. He wouldn’t have made $4.8M if he wasn’t cut as you stated, but you are correct his cap hit would have been $4.8M if he wasn’t cut.

Quote:Name one back up RB who has or had a 4.8 million cap hit.

White - Pats is no
Fournette is no
Murray from Saints is no
Lindsay for Broncos is no

In fact, there are starting RB's who don't have a cap hit of 4.8 million.

Yet, our starting guards have cap hit of around 4 million in 2020 and so far in 2021.
How is a back up RB more valuable than an OG who takes every snap?

I bet he gets no more than 2,5 to 3 million in 2021, if so we were 100% correct to ask him to take a huge pay cut.

I’m not going to defend the front office’s stupid decisions to under value IOL and over pay RBs. You’re just reinforcing the point they make bad decisions.

My point is they don’t need to save $4.1M today when they already had over $20M in cap space unless there is a plan on how to use the additional savings. And I don’t see any plan.

What happens if Mixon gets hurt during training camp or preseason? Do you feel comfortable with Perrine as the starter? This isn’t a case of the Bengals wanting to move on. This is a case where the Bengals still wanted Bernard, but wanted a home town discount in the middle of his contract. So if Mixon does get hurt and Perrine has to start instead of Bernard it’s because the Bengals probably wanted to play Bernard $2M instead of $4M. So this boils down to $2M. Who are the Bengals going to sign that is going to upgrade a starter for $2M? They could have held onto Bernard until before a week 1 and still realized the same cap savings if needed.
Reply/Quote