Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best American Band
Whoever was playing backup for Elvis.
Reply/Quote
It is....without a doubt.....The Grateful Dead.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 11:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And their founder was kicked out and went on to found Megadeth..
This is very valid. I was referencing Cliff, but could you imagine if the original lineup stayed together? They'd probably take this in a heartbeat.
^greatful dead is also a great candidate.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 12:36 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Van Halen gets my vote for rock

What other ground breaking rock guitarist from the U.S. had more effect worldwide?

I think we may have a winner.

Historically speaking the United States figured prominently in the development of Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass, Folk, and Rock-n-Roll.  But all the historical figures seem to be individuals (James Brown, Elvis, Robert Johnson, Bill Monroe, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis).

When it comes to which band was the "biggest" or "best" or most "Most famous" I'd have to say it was Van Halen in the rock category.  Bruce was just as big, but I don't consider him a "band".
Reply/Quote
To the OP...

Who is the best Canadian band of all time? Nickleback? Bryan Adams? Rush?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2015, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think we may have a winner.

Historically speaking the United States figured prominently in the development of Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass, Folk, and Rock-n-Roll.  But all the historical figures seem to be individuals (James Brown, Elvis, Robert Johnson, Bill Monroe, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis).

When it comes to which band was the "biggest" or "best" or most "Most famous" I'd have to say it was Van Halen in the rock category.  Bruce was just as big, but I don't consider him a "band".

I dunno...  Those early 90's records without the E Street Band were sort of lacking.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2015, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: To the OP...

Can't forget April Wine and Triumph.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 10:37 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Can't forget April Wine and Triumph.

You know just as well as I do that Rush wins it for Canada.  Musical prowess and longevity pretty much nails it down.

If it were personal opinion and favorite songs Triumph would win it hands down every time.

Nice mention of April Wine.  Good band.

Nickelback is well... Nickelback. :snark:
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 11:19 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You know just as well as I do that Rush wins it for Canada.  Musical prowess and longevity pretty much nails it down.

If it were personal opinion and favorite songs Triumph would win it hands down every time.

I would say that it's Rush too...  That 2112 Overture is probably the best thing to come out of Canada.  It's right up there with Hockey, and Steve Nash.  It's better than Votto too.

I guess I forgot Drizzy and Avril when I posed the question Big Grin .

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 11:42 AM)jason Wrote: I would say that it's Rush too...  That 2112 Overture is probably the best thing to come out of Canada.  It's right up there with Hockey, and Steve Nash.  It's better than Votto too.

I guess I forgot Drizzy and Avril when I posed the question Big Grin .

Isn't this Canada's alternate flag?

[Image: th?id=OIP.M46777601fbbda9ab736dace9d5041...=300&h=300]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 11:19 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You know just as well as I do that Rush wins it for Canada.  Musical prowess and longevity pretty much nails it down.

Don't get me wrong, RUSH is my all time favorite group.  I was just saying, don't forget those other Canadian bands.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 12:30 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Don't get me wrong, RUSH is my all time favorite group.  I was just saying, don't forget those other Canadian bands.

[Image: b-wink.gif]

Gotcha.

Triumph almost always gets overlooked IMO. 

They are not or never tried to be Rush. 

Yet people who do not know their catalog seem to equate a high pitched vocal fronted three piece band from Canada as "trying to be Rush".

Even despite lyrically and musically influenced the two bands have nothing in common it seems that stigma always exists.

Being a guitarist I've always been more drawn to Rik Emmett's playing and versatility.  His vocals are much more smooth as well.

I understand that Lifeson is a great guitarist as well but had to switch gears a bit to accommodate for Geddy and Neil.

That's what makes Alex great.  Dialing back but still being impressive is not the easiest thing to do.

Which is a perfect formula for them as a band.  You can't have everyone going full at it the whole time.  There has to be some space.
Reply/Quote
Oh shit...  Neil Young is from Canada.  I forgot him.  He  is the best musician to come out of Canada (band or not).

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:40 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: buddy of mine and i were having this convo yesterday at the bar watching the 1pm games.

I'm a big Skynyrd fan so naturally that's my choice but he's going with The Eagles.

what say you?

The Doors, The Dead, The Allman Brothers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 10:54 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'll admit that Aerosmith was among the first names that popped into my head.

I'd feel better about throwing out names like Skynryrd, AiC, and Metallica if their great years weren't cut short by deaths to their most important members.

Red Hot Chili Peppers is also a very valid nomination. I'd also put the Allman Brothers over Skynyrd but I don't know if they qualify as a band.

My personal choice would be Tool, but if we're talking about a band that could be widely accepted, I'd probably stick with Aerosmith or Chili Peppers.
Well, they were the Allman Brothers Band, so that would seem to qualify them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 01:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Again, one good song doesn't trump a whole discography. Likewise, an incredible guitar solo doesn't make up for an otherwise uninspiring song, unless you're a townie who isn't going anywhere in life and believes free bird describes you.

The guy who said CCR (me) doesn't have bad taste. Your friend who said the Eagles does. I'm not going to say Skynyrd is a bad band, because they're not, but anyone who thinks the Eagles are even in contention has no taste in music. 

Right.  The Eagles have only sold 150 million records and lasted 40 years.  They must have some kind of appeal to someone.   You not liking them doesn't necessarily erase their greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 05:47 PM)Goalpost Wrote: According to Wiki, among American bands,  Beach Boys are number 1 in total sales followed by Chicago.  Doesn't make them the best...but they both deserve mention.

I'd have a lot more respect for the Beach Boys if they hadn't stolen their entire sound from Jan and Dean and Chuck Berry.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 11:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: would probly give him the title of greatest song writer... But not proformer.

Greatest songwriter?   I'm afraid you have the wrong Bob for that category.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2015, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: To the OP...

my personal fav and probably the only Canadian band I'm a real fan of is April Wine. 

never cared for Rush very much, even though that would probably be the popular vote.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:53 PM)McC Wrote: Greatest songwriter?   I'm afraid you have the wrong Bob for that category.

wait all Bobs are not the same Bob?
Reply/Quote