Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Case Scenario/Bright Side of Injury
First, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm not here much so I certainly could have missed it. But I think this could serve as a decent talking point. And, as everyone knows, I'm a "look on the bright side" kind of guy. Ninja

I think this injury could end up being a very good thing. Here's why:

1.) If McCarron plays relatively well, say somewhat similar to his performance on Sunday, I believe he'll carry some trade value heading into the offseason. This is obviously a positive.

I've/we've seen it plenty of times before. A younger QB comes in relief of an injured vet, who isn't going anywhere once he's healthy, and the younger guy is shipped off while his trade value is inflated due to a small sample size.

Ex: Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell (hey, look at all these Matt's), and Kevin Kolb are all recent examples. There were rumblings that Kirk Cousins and Mike Glennon were possible trade bait this past offseason. And I'm sure there's a ton of guys I'm forgetting. And theres' other guys like Farvre who were shipped on talent level alone.

So if this guy closes the year with somewhere around a 80-90 rating I guarantee you there will be teams out there that will be willing to give a decent amount for him. 2nd or 3rd straight up type of compensation. A late first and McCarron to the top of the round type of compensation. etc.

2.) He's gaining valuable experience. Experience you can only gain by actually playing in meaningful games and situations. One of my biggest fears/gripes these last few years has been what I perceive as the lack of importance placed on our backup QB.

When we had a guy like Josh Johnson you knew if anything happened that there is no way we compete if he plays an extended period. Same with Jordan Palmer, Dan Levefour, etc. Bruce Gradkowski was the only competent backup that I thought we had after Fitz.

It's nice knowing that the guy behind Andy has now seen some real time. It would be even nicer if he proves himself to at least be not terrible. You never what can happen. Tie game in the AFC Championship, 1 quarter left and Andy exits with a concussion. How much does it suck that your whole season and all that work is wasted when a guy like Josh Johnson comes in? Yeah, it's a problem for a lot of teams. But I'll feel a lot better with someone a tad better.

So, in conclusion, and because I ramble: Upped trade value and invaluable experience are definitely positives. The opportunity for both is there. Not to mention, if anything else it makes for some added entertainment seeing the new kid play some snaps.
Reply/Quote
I think the experience he'll gain will be huge going into the playoffs. A couple of these games will have a playoff-like atmosphere (Denver for sure and likely Baltimore if we somehow have a chance at that bye). Like you said if Dalton goes down in the playoffs (like Carson in 2005) it will be great having a dude that has "been there" in recent games.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Another positive spin on this injury is that sometimes it's good for a player (of any sport) to step away from the game and just watch it, think about it, and work on "seeing" yourself play in place of actually physically practicing/training. All the great QB's have spent some time on the sidelines, whether it be stuck behind the starter, or injured. Dalton has started every game of his career, and 5 years into it he's finally forced to sit on the sideline and digest the game mentally. I won't be surprised that if he returns in time to play this year, he's gonna be play great.
Reply/Quote
I know I'm usually more on the pessimistic side, but I'm looking at this positively too. I hate that Andy was injured, but if he is able to come back for the playoffs and our back-up is able to gain some valuable game time experience, then that could workout good for us in the long run. Of course that is assuming Andy returns to the form that he was in before he was injured.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
why in the world would we consider trading our backup QB especially if he plays well. Quality backups are rare and hard to come by

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 11:08 AM)pally Wrote: why in the world would we consider trading our backup QB especially if he plays well.  Quality backups are rare and hard to come by

Dalton power.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 11:08 AM)pally Wrote: why in the world would we consider trading our backup QB especially if he plays well.  Quality backups are rare and hard to come by

I know right...  I think we keep him...  for the long haul...  
Reply/Quote
I don't see us trading AJ. If he plays good or bad, we don't do a lot of trading and even less on guys who might be able to contribute anything. If we do trade him, given our track record outside of Carson, I'd say that means the team knows he's not going to do much as we rarely get rid of guys who can play.

But, I agree with the tone. At first I was pretty bummed. To be honest, I didn't watch the rest of the game after the first half, I just went out and tossed the football around with my daughter... which is what I've done after every playoff loss. But I thought about things yesterday. Most likely, we're still going to the playoffs. Even if we bomb the rest of the games, there's a good chance will still be playing postseason. And Andy may have a chance to come back with some fresh legs and some time to study what we need to do to win. Plus, like someone else here said, it gives Andy the chance to watch his team and see what they do in a way he doesn't normally get to.

I hope AJ's successful. If he can play at a decent level, there's still a chance we get a bye. But even if he's not, this could be a chance for Andy to improve.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 01:04 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: First, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere.  I'm not here much so I certainly could have missed it.  But I think this could serve as a decent talking point.  And, as everyone knows, I'm a "look on the bright side" kind of guy.  Ninja

I think this injury could end up being a very good thing.  Here's why:

1.) If McCarron plays relatively well, say somewhat similar to his performance on Sunday, I believe he'll carry some trade value heading into the offseason.  This is obviously a positive.

I've/we've seen it plenty of times before.  A younger QB comes in relief of an injured vet, who isn't going anywhere once he's healthy, and the younger guy is shipped off while his trade value is inflated due to a small sample size.

Ex: Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell (hey, look at all these Matt's), and Kevin Kolb are all recent examples.  There were rumblings that Kirk Cousins and Mike Glennon were possible trade bait this past offseason.  And I'm sure there's a ton of guys I'm forgetting.  And theres' other guys like Farvre who were shipped on talent level alone.

So if this guy closes the year with somewhere around a 80-90 rating I guarantee you there will be teams out there that will be willing to give a decent amount for him.  2nd or 3rd straight up type of compensation.  A late first and McCarron to the top of the round type of compensation. etc.

2.) He's gaining valuable experience.  Experience you can only gain by actually playing in meaningful games and situations.  One of my biggest fears/gripes these last few years has been what I perceive as the lack of importance placed on our backup QB.  

When we had a guy like Josh Johnson you knew if anything happened that there is no way we compete if he plays an extended period.  Same with Jordan Palmer, Dan Levefour, etc.  Bruce Gradkowski was the only competent backup that I thought we had after Fitz.

It's nice knowing that the guy behind Andy has now seen some real time.  It would be even nicer if he proves himself to at least be not terrible.  You never what can happen.  Tie game in the AFC Championship, 1 quarter left and Andy exits with a concussion.  How much does it suck that your whole season and all that work is wasted when a guy like Josh Johnson comes in?  Yeah, it's a problem for a lot of teams.  But I'll feel a lot better with someone a tad better.

So, in conclusion, and because I ramble: Upped trade value and invaluable experience are definitely positives.  The opportunity for both is there.  Not to mention, if anything else it makes for some added entertainment seeing the new kid play some snaps.

I can see the positive side of this as well. However, if he is that good, we should keep him as his current contract is very inexpensive for a back up QB. His value (if he plays very well) will be established so no need to rush into any trade talks in 2016.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
How long is McCarron signed for?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 11:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can see the positive side of this as well. However, if he is that good, we should keep him as his current contract is very inexpensive for a back up QB. His value (if he plays very well) will be established so no need to rush into any trade talks in 2016.

I have posted this same thought in a couple threads.  McCarron is going to make a total of $1.3 million over the next two years.  Dalton has proven to be extremely durable, but logic says he will miss time at some point in the future.  Having a quality backup, especially one at a relatively cheap price, is a real luxury in this league.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 11:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can see the positive side of this as well. However, if he is that good, we should keep him as his current contract is very inexpensive for a back up QB. His value (if he plays very well) will be established so no need to rush into any trade talks in 2016.

(12-15-2015, 12:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I have posted this same thought in a couple threads.  McCarron is going to make a total of $1.3 million over the next two years.  Dalton has proven to be extremely durable, but logic says he will miss time at some point in the future.  Having a quality backup, especially one at a relatively cheap price, is a real luxury in this league.

Absolutely.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I see little value in trading McCarron. So we get a draft pick, then we have to draft another backup and train him. No guarantee we'll find as good a backup in the later rounds.

If he takes us to the SB, well, then you definitely keep him.

Reply/Quote
Whether I'd want trade McCarron or not would depend on the return. 2nd rounder? Nice knowing ya AJ. 3rd? Maybe. 4th or later? I'd rather be all set at backup QB. If AJ were traded though, other good backups come available in FA. Jason Cambell wasn't bad and those types are often available.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 01:04 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not here much so I certainly could have missed it. 

That's because Dalton has been playing well and the Bengals have been winning.
Reply/Quote