Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best or favorite front man...
(08-13-2015, 03:18 PM)jason Wrote: Kiedis was great live back in the 80s and early 90s.  He's still pretty damn good, but age has slowed him a little.

Yeah he's gotta be at least 10 yrs older than me, so that would put him in at least his 50's.

Probably my favorite band though.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 10:53 AM)Benton Wrote: Maynard James Keenan
Freddie Mercury

On a different note, Sebastian Bach and Rob Zombie are also two of the greatest at just working a crowd. I've seen both about a half dozen times and they have a really good sense of humor. It comes out in their shows.

The worst I've seen was Gene Simmons. He stopped a show to yell at the light guy. When the rest of the band finally started playing, he just wandered around stage for the rest of the song.

Have you seen Maynard with Tool the past few years, though? He hides towards the back in the shadows...The sound has been off for all three Tool shows as well. The mix was so bad you couldn't hear him.

His Puscifer show, on the other hand, was fantastic.

Agree with Freddie Mercury, for sure...

and Jim Morrison

and Rob Halford

and Dio

and Jack White!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 11:26 AM)kdgjr Wrote: Have you seen Maynard with Tool the past few years, though? He hides towards the back in the shadows...The sound has been off for all three Tool shows as well. The mix was so bad you couldn't hear him.

and Jim Morrison

and Rob Halford

and Dio

and Jack White!
All good ones. The last time I heard Tool live was in Evansville back around 07-08. His stage show wasn't that great, but there were no breaks, no slowing down. It was 2-3 hours and it just strung together song after song. I was impressed he could go that long without some kind of break.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 11:18 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Lots of choices.  Rik Emmett of Triumph is underrated.

As far as singer and lead guitarist i think this guy does it better than about anybody.

My Favorite though has to be James Hetfield or Aaron Lewis of Staind. Love both of these guys and pattern
a lot of my stuff off of them. Both are decent guitarists as well but nothing like Triumph's lead man.
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember Fish from the band Marillion? There's some classic videos on youtube of them back in the eighties. He was fantastic and it was good theatre.

And on the subject of Prog-Rock, Peter Gabriel with Genesis.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 12:11 PM)Benton Wrote: All good ones. The last time I heard Tool live was in Evansville back around 07-08. His stage show wasn't that great, but there were no breaks, no slowing down. It was 2-3 hours and it just strung together song after song. I was impressed he could go that long without some kind of break.

I saw Tool at Lollapolloza in '97.  Maynard was wearing this ensemble:
[Image: mjk6loozawurm.jpg]

It was a fun show.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 11:26 AM)kdgjr Wrote: Have you seen Maynard with Tool the past few years, though? He hides towards the back in the shadows...The sound has been off for all three Tool shows as well. The mix was so bad you couldn't hear him.

and Jim Morrison

and Rob Halford

and Dio

and Jack White!

I have liked everything i have heard from Puscifer.

Gotta check them out now that i think about it.

Morrison was one of a kind. No dude i can remember was always THAT drunk on stage.
Said he could out drink professional drinkers and he would pass out on stage and the band
would have to wake him up by just getting louder and louder. Speaking of the Doors Ray
Manzerek is one hell of a organ dude. No bass man, no bass, blowz my mind...
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 06:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have liked everything i have heard from Puscifer.

Morrison was one of a kind. No dude i can remember was always THAT drunk on stage.
Said he could out drink professional drinkers and he would pass out on stage and the band
would have to wake him up by just getting louder and louder. Speaking of the Doors Ray

They came to the Taft last year or the year before..Great show. the sound was perfect, you could hear every word. Unfortunately that also went for the idiots who kept screaming "Maynard" and "Tool". I think at one point he made a comment something about do people go to museums and scream at the artwork?
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 06:18 PM)kdgjr Wrote: They came to the Taft last year or the year before..Great show. the sound was perfect, you could hear every word. Unfortunately that also went for the idiots who kept screaming "Maynard" and "Tool". I think at one point he made a comment something about do people go to museums and scream at the artwork?

Yeah i am more of the type that likes to enjoy the show more than scream my head off myself that is unless the band wants you to.

Puscifer and Tool are complete opposites which is a good thing, similar to Perfect Circle. Not much alike besides Maynard.
Reply/Quote
Judging "front man" as voice plus presence?

Freddie Mercury gets my top vote. Amazing voice and was a unique and incredible showman.

Steven Tyler is also a great showman.... a unique voice. Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey are great as well. Mick Jagger. I'm a fan of the Stones for sure, I've just never been overwhelmed by Jagger's voice.

Robin Zander of Cheap Trick has a great voice in my opinion. From what I've seen he doesn't have the stage presence as those listed above (I haven't caught them live yet though, just on youtube).

I'll give a shout out to Dave Grohl, who even though currently has a broken leg is still out there giving it his all.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 81ede1b4aeab5b925e0f4a59059b2dc5.jpg]
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 06:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have liked everything i have heard from Puscifer.

FYI...Just announced. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

ON SALE
Fri, Aug 21, 2015 11:00am

Puscifer
Taft Theatre, Cincinnati, OH
Fri, Nov 20, 2015 8:00pm
Reply/Quote
Bono
Reply/Quote
Many probly dont like his music... But Marilyn Mason put on a great show live.

Also enjoyed Johan Hegg from amon amarth... (which is a viking metal band... and hes playing in a viking series or movie lol)
Reply/Quote
Art Garfunkel during Bridge Over Troubled Water?
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-seebMbckw

Always thought Dennis DeYoung had a good voice.
Reply/Quote
Of recent bands, the Killers' Brandon Flowers is a very underrated frontman. They're incredible live, and he brings a ridiculous level of showmanship to their shows.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
[Image: queen-rock-group-freddie-mercury-in-conc....jpg?w=676]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Robert Plant...
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 08:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: C'mon man...  Ronnie James Dio for metal.

Great voice.  Worked the crowd and did all of theatrics.

Ozzy would be another mention of someone who may not be the greatest singer but went "all in" on theatrics.

David Lee Roth was the epitome of a rock front-man but yes he is a sad shell of his former self. 

DLR was not a good vocalist live even at his peak.
If theatrics is what you're looking for, look no further than Vincent "Alice Cooper" Furnier!

By the way, the best frontman of modern music is probably Jack White...
Reply/Quote