Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bet Bengals
(07-11-2021, 04:25 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I blame Turners scheme because players on the line underperformed or did not develop from previous years.

Well, then you have to blame Taylor too.  He's the one who hired him, and he's the one who didn't have him correct the scheme or hire someone else to come in and change it after 2019.

This leads me to believe one of two things.  1.)Taylor is so stupid he doesn't even know what a good OL coach looks like, or what blocking scheme his offensive line should be using, or 2.) Turner was running the scheme that he and Taylor both agreed on, and Taylor is the one who wanted the coach and the scheme to begin with.

I feel like it has to be one or the other.  Taylor is clueless about what they ran, or Taylor helped build what they ran.  Has to be one or the other.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 04:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, then you have to blame Taylor too.  He's the one who hired him, and he's the one who didn't have him correct the scheme or hire someone else to come in and change it after 2019.

This leads me to believe one of two things.  1.)Taylor is so stupid he doesn't even know what a good OL coach looks like, or what blocking scheme his offensive line should be using, or 2.) Turner was running the scheme that he and Taylor both agreed on, and Taylor is the one who wanted the coach and the scheme to begin with.

I feel like it has to be one or the other.  Taylor is clueless about what they ran, or Taylor helped build what they ran.  Has to be one or the other.

Ok. I blame Taylor for hiring Turner. Why, I really don't know. Did Pollack leaving surprise the Bengals. Maybe ZT only had a short list of guys he could get. Maybe he thought he could hire Callahan but the Redskins said no. I was praying for Callahan when he left the Redskins. That was a year after we hired Turner. ZT or Browns loyalty probably kept them from firing Turner to hire Callahan but that would have been the play. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes of the Bengals front office.

If only we could hire the perfect front office and coaching staff who never make mistakes we could be like all the other teams.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 09:12 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Thanks,

You are right as long as they cover the over it is house money.
They AFC Championship and Super Bowl may be a sucker bet it brings excitement to the season.

If they start off strong I may have to start looking into Hotel rooms for the Super Bowl in Los Angeles.

It could be ZT and the Bengals going against Sean McVay and the LA Rams. Doesn't it hurt to dream a little.

Go Bengals!

BTW - That Auburn bet would have been a tough pill to swallow. Do you remember what the payout would have been?

Auburn at 35-1 = $3,500 

Good Luck
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 12:22 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If the Bengals win one or two playoff games, the bet is ZT for Coach of the Year, at 66-1.  

This is a very good bet even though Im not sold on ZT just yet. 

But if Burrow and the Bengals even make the playoffs he has to be in the running. 

At 66-1 its worth a stab. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So the Bengals won 4 games to the Browns' 11, they swept us in 2020, and they won a playoff game on the road but we are better than them and you still like Zac Taylor?  I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking.  In my mind if you say a 4 win team is better than an 11 win team you have to follow that up by saying that the HC is a moron who completely blew the season.

Even if Burrow doesn't get injured in DC and we win all 7 games in a row after that we still end up 4 wins shy of the Browns.  

Your points are spot on, and no...the Bengals aren't better than the Browns.  Not until they prove it on the field.  

However, when you throw out the win totals and the fact that they swept the Bengals (barely), you have to consider who was coaching the offensive line and who was given what he said he needed to be a solid line.  He raved about Mike Jordan and Bobby Hart.  He liked XSF.  He complemented how Jonah didn't sit pat after his rookie season, but came in stronger.  He said his line was set.  The Bengals believed him.  He lost XSF almost immediately.  The depth was awful.  Mike Jordan regressed and was playing worse than his first game as a rookie.  Bobby Hart was his inconsistent self.  The rest is history.  The line struggled to form some semblance of consistency and even average play, but was somewhat stabilized when XSF returned from injury and Spain manned the other guard spot.

Compare that to the coaching of the Cleveland Browns offensive line:  Read the following article from Clevelandbrowns.com:

The Browns attacked the offensive line as hard as any position group last offseason.
All-Pro Jack Conklin was signed in free agency to take over at right tackle. Jedrick Wills Jr. was selected 10th overall and would take over at left tackle. Subsequently, Chris Hubbard, who started at right tackle the previous two seasons, would provide the Browns with the ultimate luxury and take over as the unit's sixth man. Rookie Nick Harris was added in the fifth round to provide even more depth and veteran Kendall Lamm, back for a second season, would provide another experienced option at either of the tackle positions.
Ultimately, the Browns needed every single one of them — and then some — in a season that tested the unit with injuries and unexpected absences. And, ultimately, all of the moves, coupled with the invaluable tutelage of veteran offensive line coach Bill Callahan, paid off in a massive way, as Cleveland's offensive line provided the backbone for one of the NFL's most improved offenses. 
Cleveland's offensive line ranked No. 1 in Pro Football Focus' pass block grade and run block grade, a first in the analytics-based service's history. Not bad for a unit that added two new starters, broke in a first-time, every-game starter at right guard and had nearly half of its games impacted by an injury or two.
"It was great. A really talented group," said C JC Tretter. "Coach Callahan did a really good job of preparing us. It was really exciting. Guys always love being able to run the ball, and being in an offense that is centered around that, it is always exciting for an offensive line. 
"It is exciting to know that we are all going to be back next year and will be able to grow together and continue to learn and get better, and hopefully, continue to provide this team a run game that helps this offense and this team win."

The Browns had depth, talent, and a high-quality line coach.  The Bengals had none of that.  Do they have it this season?  I don't know, but a lot will depend on the hiring of Pollack, the additions of Spain (mid last year), Reiff, and Carman, as well as the development of Hopkins, Price, and Williams.  

As unbelievable as it may seem to some, I am not closing the door on Mike Jordan, either.  He seems to have really taken Burrow's injury to heart and has worked his ass off to transform his body and improve his strength.  I don't know if he will recover mentally, but I can't help but pull for the guy.  

Lastly, with the injury to Adeniji, I think the Bengals will likely bring in one more veteran offensive lineman and this year's squad will at the very least have significantly better talent, depth, and coaching.  
Reply/Quote
ZT vouched for Turner, so I think our reboot ala the 2020 Browns is still likely a year away. I was down on Turner from day 1 but I don't think getting rid of him alone is going to turn us into a team that makes a playoff run, but it could be that easy.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:26 AM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT vouched for Turner, so I think our reboot ala the 2020 Browns is still likely a year away.  I was down on Turner from day 1 but I don't think getting rid of him alone is going to turn us into a team that makes a playoff run, but it could be that easy.

I think our reboot is at least a year away and a new coach away with a new coaching staff to follow after the 2021 season.  

I mean think about it.  They've already let go of the OL, DL coach and the CB coach and the WR left as did the RB coach after the 2020 season. 

So at least 3 of the 5 Zac hired 2 years ago.  His ability to hire coaches doesn't really impress me much. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 09:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He gets $575 in winnings plus his original $500 back.  

That is the part that always confuses me, and why I don't really understand the +115 or whatever.
So... if I understand it now (thanks for the explanation) he's really betting $500 for a chance to get paid $1075 on that bet.
Reply/Quote
Just bet on the Chicago river being a cess pool and you'll win.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:26 AM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT vouched for Turner, so I think our reboot ala the 2020 Browns is still likely a year away.  I was down on Turner from day 1 but I don't think getting rid of him alone is going to turn us into a team that makes a playoff run, but it could be that easy.

Logic would dictate that this is the absolute truth.  However, when I see what Burrow did with a COVID offseason, DESPITE that line and sudden disappearing act of AJ Green, I can't help but think that if the line is solid (average) and the weapons stay healthy, he is going to set it on fire this year.  

Much like the jump he took in his second season at LSU, Burrow is poised to have major success.  If the defense can be solid, there is no reason this team can't skip the "reboot" year and go straight to contender.  

Man, I can't wait for even the preseason to start.  
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 08:10 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Finally took the time to bet on Bengals.

500 - Bengals over 6.5 +115 = 575
200 - Bengals win Division 2000 = 4000
100 - Bengals win Conference 5000 = 5000
200 - Bengals win Super Bowl 10000 = 20000
All told $1000 bet with chance to win $30,575

As long as they win 7 games I will win $75.00 all told.

Go Bengals!

Anybody else betting on Bengals?

My bet is looking better and better every week. Just need to stay healthy. Go Bengals!
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 08:10 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Finally took the time to bet on Bengals.

500 - Bengals over 6.5 +115 = 575
200 - Bengals win Division 2000 = 4000
100 - Bengals win Conference 5000 = 5000
200 - Bengals win Super Bowl 10000 = 20000
All told $1000 bet with chance to win $30,575

As long as they win 7 games I will win $75.00 all told.

Go Bengals!

Anybody else betting on Bengals?

All I can say after winning the AFC North is "KA-CHING!" Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:50 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: All I can say after winning the AFC North is "KA-CHING!" Tiger

So... you're up $3575, so far?
Reply/Quote