Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy DeVos: Deep cuts to Special Olympics, student programs are warranted
(03-28-2019, 10:13 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "It's a shame that the media correctly reported my budget and comments on the budget."

The fact that the Special Olympics gets  private funding too doesn't change the fact that the DOE is cutting their funding to it. 

Well, what's 18 million among friends?  Right?

I'll go back to something I said elsewhere that DJT and his ilk believe rich  = successful and therefore "qualified".  It doesn't.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Anybody wonder why Special Olympics is funded by the Dept of Education in the first place? Did they consider it a type of physical education or something?
(03-28-2019, 10:44 AM)Beaker Wrote: Anybody wonder why Special Olympics is funded by the Dept of Education in the first place? Did they consider it a type of physical education or something?

The support they get from the federal government as a whole is in the form of grants. For example, they received about $15.5 million in federal grants in 2017. https://dotorg.brightspotcdn.com/a2/52/67e680f34be4b0c2d975757f3f95/special-olympics-inc-2017-audited-financial-statement.PDF

Those grants likely fall under the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services since the Special Olympics is not just about the competition aspect but is a more comprehensive program with education qualities.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
McDonalds Trump is reversing on cutting funding for the Special Olympics saying that he now supports it. Soon after, DeVos claimed she fought to keep the funding...

2 more years...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-28-2019, 10:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: McDonalds Trump is reversing on cutting funding for the Special Olympics saying that he now supports it. Soon after, DeVos claimed she fought to keep the funding...

2 more years...

They're all cowards and liars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/28/president-trump-restoring-funding-special-olympics/3302983002/

Quote:President Donald Trump said he would jettison a proposal to slash funding for the Special Olympics, undercutting Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and the budget proposal he signed.  

"The Special Olympics will be funded. I just told my people I want to fund the Special Olympics," Trump said he left the White House en route to a political rally in Grand Rapids, Mich. "I have overridden my people. We're funding the Special Olympics." 

Trump's remarks came after widespread criticism targeted DeVos' budget proposal to eliminate funding for the program, which is designed to help children and adults with disabilities. 

DeVos’ proposed $17.6 million cut for the Special Olympics was included in the $4.75 trillion federal budget that President Donald Trump’s administration sent to Congress earlier this month.

Trump, in his comments on Thursday, offered no additional information about whether his administration will commit to funding the entire $17.6 million Special Olympics had been getting and whether it will be protected from future proposed reductions. 

After Trump made the announcement, DeVos thanked the president and said they see "eye to eye" on this, adding she pushed him to change his stance on funding the program. 

Karen Pence, wife of Vice President Mike Pence, also voiced her support after Trump's remarks, saying on Twitter:  "Love the @SpecialOlympics!" Karen Pence led the U.S. delegation to this year's Special Olympics World Games in the United Arab Emirates.

It is not just Special Olympics facing the budget ax. Trump seeks dramatic across-the-board spending cuts to domestic programs for the coming fiscal year. An exception: the military, which would get a 5 percent increase under his proposal.

“Get rid of the fat, get rid of the waste,” Trump had instructed his Cabinet.

DeVos, however, proposed additional funding for a few programs, including charter schools and a tax credit for individuals and companies that donate to scholarships for private schools.

DeVos said she had to make some hard decisions after the president demanded across-the-board cuts and has had to defend her cuts to members of Congress, where she's faced days of being grilled. 

Earlier Thursday, DeVos—a wealthy Republican donor and former school choice advocate—was on Capitol Hill again defending the proposed cut to the Special Olympics to a Senate Appropriations subcommittee.

Trump signs the proposal...and blames "his people."
DeVos says she tried to get Trump to change "his stance."
Mother tweets her support...after the change is announced.
Sad people.
That they had to be shamed into makes them even sadder.
(03-28-2019, 10:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: McDonalds Trump is reversing on cutting funding for the Special Olympics saying that he now supports it. Soon after, DeVos claimed she fought to keep the funding...

2 more years...

Isn't that a good thing?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-28-2019, 10:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Isn't that a good thing?

In the "how low is the bar for good things" category Trump just squeezes under by being shamed into NOT completely defunding the federal budget for the Special Olympics.  Oh, everyone blaming everyone else for even proposing it is a nice touch.
(03-28-2019, 10:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: In the "how low is the bar for good things" category Trump just squeezes under by being shamed into NOT completely defunding the federal budget for the Special Olympics.  Oh, everyone blaming everyone else for even proposing it is a nice touch.

So it's not a good thing?

(03-28-2019, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So it's not a good thing?

Yes it is a good thing that he changed his mind after much public shaming.  It's not a good thing that it was proposed in the first place or that it took public shaming to make you boy change his mind.

This is the mindset of the Trump supporter.  Sure he kidnapped my child and demanded ransom but after the public came out and said it was awful he changed his mind so it's all good.  Nothing to see here.
(03-28-2019, 10:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes it is a good thing that he changed his mind after much public shaming.  It's not a good thing that it was proposed in the first place or that it took public shaming to make you boy change his mind.

This is the mindset of the Trump supporter.  Sure he kidnapped my child and demanded ransom but after the public came out and said it was awful he changed his mind so it's all good.  Nothing to see here.

Stereotyping a Trump supporter is not helpful. 

The decision to cut it over private schools and then pretending like you didn't want to cut it is not good.

Folding to public outcry was good.

The decision to still cut very important programs that help my neediest students so that private schools can benefit is not good. 

(03-28-2019, 10:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes it is a good thing that he changed his mind after much public shaming.  It's not a good thing that it was proposed in the first place or that it took public shaming to make you boy change his mind.

(03-28-2019, 11:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Stereotyping a Trump supporter is not helpful. 

Mellow

(03-28-2019, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So it's not a good thing?

I just call 'em like I see 'em.
DeVos suggested that federal funding is being wasted since it goes towards teacher development and reducing classroom sizes. She even suggested that smaller class sizes may be hurting students.

"students may be better served by being in larger classes, if by hiring fewer teachers, a district or state can better compensate those who have demonstrated high ability and outstanding results".

I want you guys to guess which of my government classes has the highest level of achievement:
Class 1- 27 students
Class 2- 25 students
Class 3- 28 students
Class4- 19 students

Instead of just asking a question why not go on the record that you think this was a great thing.  And be sure to tell us the part you liked best.  This is a great chance for you to brag on your Donald.
(03-29-2019, 10:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: DeVos suggested that federal funding is being wasted since it goes towards teacher development and reducing classroom sizes. She even suggested that smaller class sizes may be hurting students.

"students may be better served by being in larger classes, if by hiring fewer teachers, a district or state can better compensate those who have demonstrated high ability and outstanding results".

I want you guys to guess which of my government classes has the highest level of achievement:
Class 1- 27 students
Class 2- 25 students
Class 3- 28 students
Class4- 19 students

That she is THIS unqualified and the GOP still approved her is mind boggling. 

I look at it differently. I see that a decision was made, the public didn't care for the decision and let it be known, and the decision makes then changed the decision due to pressure from the public. In a representative democracy, not all decisions made will be smart ones. The fact that we were able to get a bad one changed is a good thing. I still question why the Special Olympics is funded via the department of education. Gotta be some other avenue for funding that would make more sense....and take it out of DeVoss' idiotic hands.
(03-29-2019, 10:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: DeVos suggested that federal funding is being wasted since it goes towards teacher development and reducing classroom sizes. She even suggested that smaller class sizes may be hurting students.

Class 1- 27 students
Class 2- 25 students
Class 3- 28 students
Class4- 19 students

The nineteen honor students.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-29-2019, 10:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The nineteen honor students.  

All regular level, all with 25-30% students with disabilities. 

But, yes, they are my top achieving class. I would not have pegged them as being that class from the start given their personalities and baseline scores, but the class size makes it a lot easier to address them individually and successfully take part in more engaging activities.

(03-29-2019, 10:35 AM)Beaker Wrote: I look at it differently. 

The fact that we were able to get a bad one changed is a good thing.

I look at it differently.  I think it is very bad that we have a President who would appoint a person to a position of power who is so grossly out of touch with the will of the people.

There is no way you should spin incompetence into a good thing.
(03-29-2019, 10:35 AM)Beaker Wrote: I look at it differently. I see that a decision was made, the public didn't care for the decision and let it be known, and the decision makes then changed the decision due to pressure from the public. In a representative democracy, not all decisions made will be smart ones. The fact that we were able to get a bad one changed is a good thing. I still question why the Special Olympics is funded via the department of education. Gotta be some other avenue for funding that would make more sense....and take it out of DeVoss' idiotic hands.

Like I said if someone wants to give Trump credit for the doing a "good thing" by changing what he wanted to do in the first place the bar is REALLY low for "good things" in this administration.

If someone kills ten people but gets talked out of killing #11 that is a good thing (that #11 didn't get killed) but I still hold them responsible for the first 10 murders since they shouldn't have killed them in the first place.

Note: I am not comparing the budget to murder. I'm making an analogy about how someone repeatedly doing bad things doesn't suddenly make it all better by doing one good thing.