Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bible Thumpers
I'm drinking my coffee this morning enjoying the day and I see a black SUV pull into the drive and I realize it's a religious group and the rest of my family is telling me to close the curtains and ignore them I think to myself "Screw that! I'm not going to hide from people on my own property." plus my dogs were outside. So I throw on some shoes and go out with massive bedhead and sleep crud in my eyes and ask the man if I can help him with anything and he revs up his speech about how he is a minister and how he can help me and I cut him off and tell him to please leave,we're not interested and don't come back. All future bible thumpers will be treated similarly.

I live in rural Ohio surrounded by conservatives so I'm used to this once or twice a year but I've had more then my fill. It pisses me off the balls these people have to come onto my property and preach to me about my lifestyle that they know nothing about. I'm not anti-religion but I do believe we should all respect the freedom we have to choose are own religion whether you are Christian or believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster it's not my place to judge or try force my views onto you. By coming to my home and preaching to me they have already made a judgement that unless I believe what they believe they have life changing news for me.

Save it for the church!
Did they leave when you asked them?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-14-2015, 02:16 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: I'm drinking my coffee this morning enjoying the day and I see a black SUV pull into the drive and I realize it's a religious group and the rest of my family is telling me to close the curtains and ignore them I think to myself "Screw that! I'm not going to hide from people on my own property." plus my dogs were outside. So I throw on some shoes and go out with massive bedhead and sleep crud in my eyes and ask the man if I can help him with anything and he revs up his speech about how he is a minister and how he can help me and I cut him off and tell him to please leave,we're not interested and don't come back. All future bible thumpers will be treated similarly.

I live in rural Ohio surrounded by conservatives so I'm used to this once or twice a year but I've had more then my fill. It pisses me off the balls these people have to come onto my property and preach to me about my lifestyle that they know nothing about. I'm not anti-religion but I do believe we should all respect the freedom we have to choose are own religion whether you are Christian or believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster it's not my place to judge or try force my views onto you. By coming to my home and preaching to me they have already made a judgement that unless I believe what they believe they have life changing news for me.

Save it for the church!

Stop leaving the dead hookers out for the trash, dude.
Ninja
(11-14-2015, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did they leave when you asked them?

Yeah after I told them I didn't want their pamphlet.

(11-14-2015, 02:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Stop leaving the dead hookers out for the trash, dude.
Ninja

Should've could've would've. LOL
Stuff like this is why I learned the sign language to say "I am sorry, I am deaf."
(11-14-2015, 02:29 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Yeah after I told them I didn't want their pamphlet.

Well then I don't see a problem. You must understand that for every 50 doors these folks have slammed in their faces, the one that does not is worth it. 

I used to go to a church that had visitation night. We would meet and go out in neighborhoods in teams of two. What i discovered is that very seldom is an adult willing to "convert"; however, they are willing to allow their children attend once we explained our youth programs and let them know transportation would be provided. Vacation Bible School was often a big "selling point".

I live in an area that is highly tracted by Jehovah's Witnesses, and they usually stop by my house at least once a year. When they do, I just let them know that I'm not interested, offer them a bottle of water, and send them on their way. I've never had them be overly pushy or persistent, so I don't see a reason to be overly pushy with my negativity toward religion. I also remember how difficult it was to do that when I was younger and that I wished that people would just be less aggressive about it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

That's nice of you to offer water JC. I will do that as well.

We get a few times a year of the JW preaching . We just tell them that we have a couple of churches we like and that This is already a house where God is welcome.
I don't think anyone's ever stopped by my house, unless I wasn't home and didn't know about it.  However down in the middle of town across from my work, sometimes, there is a guy wearing a sign about god and redemption, and salvation or something of that nature.  He usually has a bull horn to help him with his preaching.  I don't think he's saved very many people, I think most view him as a curiosity.  I have to fight the urge to walk up to him and say "pardon me, but do you have any idea of just how bat shit :crazy: you look right now?"  I don't though, but man it's tempting.
(11-14-2015, 03:27 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I don't think anyone's ever stopped by my house, unless I wasn't home and didn't know about it.  However down in the middle of town across from my work, sometimes, there is a guy wearing a sign about god and redemption, and salvation or something of that nature.  He usually has a bull horn to help him with his preaching.  I don't think he's saved very many people, I think most view him as a curiosity.  I have to fight the urge to walk up to him and say "pardon me, but do you have any idea of just how bat shit :crazy: you look right now?"  I don't though, but man it's tempting.

That's actually Nately out there. He would probably appreciate you saying hello.
(11-14-2015, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then I don't see a problem. You must understand that for every 50 doors these folks have slammed in their faces, the one that does not is worth it. 

I used to go to a church that had visitation night. We would meet and go out in neighborhoods in teams of two. What i discovered is that very seldom is an adult willing to "convert"; however, they are willing to allow their children attend once we explained our youth programs and let them know transportation would be provided. Vacation Bible School was often a big "selling point".

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is that I feel like I'm being approached by someone trying to sell me something as if they are running a business. I'm sure they have good intentions
but I disagree with the idea of selling a religion. It should be a personal choice someone has made for what they feel like is the right reasons not because someone showed up to door with offering Bible School. It feels a bit like recruitment to me.

(11-14-2015, 03:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I live in an area that is highly tracted by Jehovah's Witnesses, and they usually stop by my house at least once a year.  When they do, I just let them know that I'm not interested, offer them a bottle of water, and send them on their way.  I've never had them be overly pushy or persistent, so I don't see a reason to be overly pushy with my negativity toward religion.  I also remember how difficult it was to do that when I was younger and that I wished that people would just be less aggressive about it.

I do think I could've been a little nicer thinking back but my religious beliefs are a personal matter and it's off base imo for a stranger to approach me about. Organized religion has always been an issue that gets me worked up I think some of it has to do with the school I went to during High School. It was a really small town with almost no diversity and praying at school was normal.

I remember we had an assembly once with all these body builders doing cool shit like breaking wood boards with their heads and when it was over they announced you could come back after school to see more stuff for free. So me, my girlfriend at the time and her little brother go to the show and after 10 minutes of breaking stuff they start talking about "The Path" they all took to become who they are today and how if it wasn't for "The Path" who knows what would've happened to them. Turns out "The Path" ended up being the path to Christianity. Once that is revealed and they tell their life stories then start playing gospel music and encouraging people to come down to the gym floor from the bleachers well me and my girlfriend went from the bleachers to the doors and as we're walking through the cafeteria we see this big projection screen with most of the High School and Junior High with their eyes closed and their hands up like you see in gospel music videos.

We felt like they lured us to their show for agenda free entertainment and it was anything but. There was no claim that this was tied to religion in any way.
Meh, no need to be so vigilant in your attitude toward the church recruiters. They don't mean any harm, just trying to invite you to their services.

When they come to my door, I simply thank them for inviting me and respectfully decline their offer. I then wish them well with the rest of their day, and go on with mine.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-14-2015, 03:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, no need to be so vigilant in your attitude toward the church recruiters. They don't mean any harm, just trying to invite you to their services.

When they come to my door, I simply thank them for inviting me and respectfully decline their offer. I then wish them well with the rest of their day, and go on with mine.

It wierd that he treats the church group this way because when a girl scout or a high school volley player comes by selling their fundraising coupon book he always invites them in his house and makes it awkward when they try to leave.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(11-14-2015, 03:49 PM)6andcounting Wrote: It wierd that he treats the church group this way because when a girl scout or a high school volley player comes by selling their fundraising coupon book he always invites them in his house and makes it awkward when they try to leave.

No I tell them to get the hell off of my lawn too.

[Image: lawn.jpg]

Girl scouts have gotten greedy the boxes are half the size they used to be and I scared the coupon people off years ago!
(11-14-2015, 03:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, no need to be so vigilant in your attitude toward the church recruiters.  They don't mean any harm, just trying to invite you to their services.  

When they come to my door, I simply thank them for inviting me and respectfully decline their offer.  I then wish them well with the rest of their day, and go on with mine.

Same here.  We're "in the country" but not that far off the highway so it doesn't happen very often.  I like Johnny's idea of offering them water though.

Only people we get here is every year when the county fair rolls in we get door-to-door salesmen offering books and junk.  I've had to "encourage" them to leave after a few attempts at asking nicely.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
On the flip-side I wonder how people would feel if a Jewish, Buddhist or Muslim person came to their door trying to sell their religion or even an Athiest selling the idea of non-religion.
(11-14-2015, 03:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's nice of you to offer water JC.   I will do that as well.  

We get a few times a year of the JW preaching .  We just tell them that we have a couple of churches we like and that This is already a house where God is welcome.

It's just a nice gesture that stuck with me. When I was younger, I did the tracting thing. One day, it was about 95 degrees out, I was wearing a lot of clothes, and trying to spread the word of God.  We stopped by some random dude's house and he told us he had his own beliefs and that we would not sway him.  He then gave us each a bottle of water and politely told us to kick rocks.  I remember feeling that my day was going to go better due to that small act of kindnes, even though I had been turned down.  I now try to make others feel the same.
LFG  

(11-14-2015, 03:57 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: On the flip-side I wonder how people would feel if a Jewish, Buddhist or Muslim person came to their door trying to sell their religion or even an Athiest selling the idea of non-religion.

Muslim or Athiest would be shut down and treated with hostility by a solid majority of religious folks, if my experience with religious people is indicative of how most people feel.  
LFG  

(11-14-2015, 03:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Same here.  We're "in the country" but not that far off the highway so it doesn't happen very often.  I like Johnny's idea of offering them water though.

Only people we get here is every year when the county fair rolls in we get door-to-door salesmen offering books and junk.  I've had to "encourage" them to leave after a few attempts at asking nicely.

Wow, I didn't realize that door to door peddlers were still a thing.

(I mean the one's trying to sell junk and products, not the school kids on their school fund raisers)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-14-2015, 03:57 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: On the flip-side I wonder how people would feel if a Jewish, Buddhist or Muslim person came to their door trying to sell their religion or even an Athiest selling the idea of non-religion.

I suppose it would have a lot to do with how they presented themselves.