Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Biden 2024 State of Union Speech
(03-11-2024, 06:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Do you see that listed? It's not there. they are counting giving the authority to the USCIS to speed it up. 
  • Funding. The bill allocates an initial $8.3 billion to a “Comprehensive Immigration Reform Trust” fund. Out of that total, the bill makes the following allocations:
    • $3 billion for implementation during the first five years of the Border Security Results Strategy.
    • $2 billion over 10 years available to the DHS secretary in order to carry out recommendations made by the Southern Border Security Commission.
    • $1 billion must be used for fencing, infrastructure, personnel, and technology at ports of entry, with the option to spend an additional $500 million.
    • $750 million to expand and implement a mandatory electronic employment eligibility verification system, or “EEVS” (the federal government’s current, mostly optional EEVS is E-Verify).
    • $900 million for one-time start-up costs of implementing the bill.
    • $150 million available to be transferred to the secretaries of labor or agriculture or to the attorney general for costs associated with implementing the bill’s provisions.

Yes, I do.

Quote: For an additional amount for "Executive Office for Immigration Review'', $440,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2026: Provided, That of the total amounts provided under this heading in this Act, $404,000,000 shall be for Immigration Judge Teams, including appropriate attorneys, law clerks, paralegals, court administrators, and other support staff, as well as necessary court and adjudicatory costs, and $36,000,000 shall be for representation for certain incompetent adults pursuant to section 240(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1229a(e)): Provided further, That not more than 3 percent of the funds available for representation for certain incompetent adults in the preceding proviso shall be available for necessary administrative expenses: Provided further, That with the exception of immigration judges appointed pursuant to section 1003.10 of title 8, Code of Federal Regulations, amounts provided under this heading in this Act for Immigration Judge Teams may not be used to increase the number of permanent positions: Provided further, That the Executive Office for Immigration Review shall submit a spending plan to the Committees on Appropriations of the House of Representatives and the Senate within 45 days after the date of enactment of this Act: Provided further, That such amount is designated by the Congress as being for an emergency requirement pursuant to section 251(b)(2)(A)(i) of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985.

https://www.congress.gov/amendment/118th-congress/senate-amendment/1386/text?s=a&r=227

Not sure where your copy/paste came from, but they didn't do a good analysis of the amendment.

Edit: Found it. Seems that copy/paste was from an analysis of a 2013 bill. https://www.nilc.org/issues/immigration-reform-and-executive-actions/hr15summary/
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 05:13 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wasn't around at the time and my wife doesn't know the fine details, but the idea was that they'd get their green cards relatively quickly because of a citizen daughter, so there was no risk of her "aging out" of their care.

This was all occurring in the late 90s/Early 2000s, so I don't think the southern border played a factor in the clogging of the system.

I just think the US government is unwilling to properly invest in the system to make sure it's running smoothly. My suspicion is because they do not prioritize immigration and the quality of life of immigrants. Make them wait 13 years, paying 1000 dollars for a work authorization every year until we get around to their case. Just means more money for the government.

That was the thing that I found to be most interesting about the border deal. Hiring more people to get cases through the system faster would be a net benefit to the entire system. I think the reason there are so many people showing up at the border right now is they know that they can apply for asylum, then they'll be released into the country while they await their trial, in which time they are eligible to apply for work authorization after a 150 day waiting period. Then, they can just work for 4 to 6 years while they wait for their trial. Maybe they have children in that time and then apply to stay permanently via their US citizen children.

I think staffing up the court system so that that 6 years becomes 6 months or, better yet, 6 weeks, would not only eliminate the backlog, but it would also slow the inflow of immigrants at the southern border, because a certain percentage of them would not be willing to make the journey if they could be deported back to their country after just 6 weeks.

An underfunded, overworked, understaffed system will always fail. The only way to make it not fail is to fund it properly. Breaking the system entirely is not a solution, it's just a way to stop thinking about the problem. I understand why that's an attractive option for many people, but I believe in solving problems, not sweeping them under the rug.

By the way, the records we are breaking now were set in the mid-90's. The records were being set in '93 thru '95. PS Who was POTUS?

And as far as using her sister (the USC) then yea I think they have to wait til she's 18.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote