Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biden - Approval
Is this pissing contest going to continue, or is someone going to mention how the deficit fell $1.4 trillion under Biden this year?

Since, y'know, this whole topic is supposed to be about Biden.

Also a fun historical fact - the deficit has fallen under all 3 of our previous Democratic presidents after it rose substantially under their Republican predecessors.

Yet somehow we still have people who believe Republicans are the ones with fiscal responsibility. Strange times, indeed.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 07:22 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Is this pissing contest going to continue, or is someone going to mention how the deficit fell $1.4 trillion under Biden this year?

Since, y'know, this whole topic is supposed to be about Biden.

Also a fun historical fact - the deficit has fallen under all 3 of our previous Democratic presidents after it rose substantially under their Republican predecessors.

Yet somehow we still have people who believe Republicans are the ones with fiscal responsibility. Strange times, indeed.

If you're aware of why the deficit is lower then you're aware that it's nothing to crow about.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 11:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you're aware of why the deficit is lower then you're aware that it's nothing to crow about.  

Why?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:03 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Why?

Pandemic is my guess. Then the right won't acknowledge that maybe that is what has driven inflation, but wanna blame it on Biden. Both sides giving Biden credit for shitz n gigs.  Hilarious

(Not directed at SSF at all, this is just my opinion of American politics) 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:03 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Why?

Because they aren't passing massive stimulus bills this year.  

(10-25-2022, 12:19 PM)jmccracky Wrote: Pandemic is my guess. Then the right won't acknowledge that maybe that is what has driven inflation, but wanna blame it on Biden. Both sides giving Biden credit for shitz n gigs.  Hilarious

(Not directed at SSF at all, this is just my opinion of American politics) 

Actually, I've seen attacks from the right that directly tie the stimulus bill(s) to inflation.  What I find interesting is Biden saying he can't do anything about gas prices, blaming increases on Putin, and then claiming credit for lowering prices when they started to fall.  I get the ploy here, but either you're capable of changing gas prices or you're not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because they aren't passing massive stimulus bills this year.  

Actually, I've seen attacks from the right that directly tie the stimulus bill(s) to inflation.  What I find interesting is Biden saying he can't do anything about gas prices, blaming increases on Putin, and then claiming credit for lowering prices when they started to fall.  I get the ploy here, but either you're capable of changing gas prices or you're not.

I’m no economist how does not passing stimulus bills lower the deficit? Wouldn’t that just mean we are spending less money than previous years? But how does that lower the deficit unless we are putting more money towards lowering it?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:33 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m no economist how does not passing stimulus bills lower the deficit? Wouldn’t that just mean we are spending less money than previous years? But how does that lower the deficit unless we are putting more money towards lowering it?

Exactly.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because they aren't passing massive stimulus bills this year.  

You mean politicians are being disingenuous? I am shocked. Shocked, I say.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

"then claiming credit for lowering prices when they started to fall"

Exactly my point brotha! It's unnerving. Every time I see an add talking about gas prices going down, I wanna punch someone lol. Like....really? 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:46 PM)jmccracky Wrote: "then claiming credit for lowering prices when they started to fall"

Exactly my point brotha! It's unnerving. Every time I see an add talking about gas prices going down, I wanna punch someone lol. Like....really? 

It's all political strategy. The reality is that that he can do nothing to control gas prices. It is a global commodity, driven completely off supply & demand. However, the average citizen isn't really aware of this or doesn't believe it is true. So, he claims credit for prices going down even though it wasn't his doing. People will believe him, of course, just like other people who believe it was his fault for going up. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 01:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's all political strategy. The reality is that that he can do nothing to control gas prices. It is a global commodity, driven completely off supply & demand. However, the average citizen isn't really aware of this or doesn't believe it is true. So, he claims credit for prices going down even though it wasn't his doing. People will believe him, of course, just like other people who believe it was his fault for going up. 

What do you guys think is the easiest and best way to get away from that? Like....what could be a legit path that Americans can push forward? I'm personally sick of seeing it. Hershal Walker could legit win in Georgia. Seems like Americans like to sit back and let others tell them what they are angry about. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 01:19 PM)jmccracky Wrote: What do you guys think is the easiest and best way to get away from that? Like....what could be a legit path that Americans can push forward? I'm personally sick of seeing it. Hershal Walker could legit win in Georgia. Seems like Americans like to sit back and let others tell them what they are angry about. 

There isn't a way out of it. It's just a reality we have to deal with. It's why politicians will talk out of both sides of their mouths on this type of stuff. It's an unfortunate reality of a democracy. The average person isn't necessarily going to be as informed as we would like.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 01:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There isn't a way out of it. It's just a reality we have to deal with. It's why politicians will talk out of both sides of their mouths on this type of stuff. It's an unfortunate reality of a democracy. The average person isn't necessarily going to be as informed as we would like.

I don't think it's a lack of information so much as the embracing of a defiant sense of tribalism that is stunningly effective.  The double-standard has gone from shameful to almost a badge of honor.  We aren't subject to the same rules because we're better than you.

Celebrities should shut up and stay in their elite bubbles and leave us REAL PEOPLE alone...except for Trump and Dr. Oz.  Keep in mind that right wingers lost their minds and posted 9/11 "We still remember who did this" memes when Illhan Omar was elected, but will gleefully vote for Dr. Oz because he's a republican.

Also, athletes need to shut up and dribble...but Hershel Walker needs to be a senator.

Oh, and Biden is mentally deficient, but Hershel Walker needs to be a senator.  Also, he's the deeply Christian candidate more so than the actual pastor guy because Walker has that evangelical "I did all this bad stuff, but it's all good because I'm cool with Jesus so nyeah nyeah Imma be up in them clouds laughing at you."

It's effective.  The GOP has brand loyalty to the R on the sheet to a point where they can take anyone who did anything and say "This person is a republican" and that person instantly becomes an economic genius, a true country loving patriot, and an ultra Christian with deep values and morality.  It's brilliant and it's why the GOP can win elections while running on policies that aren't nearly as popular as the other side is pushing.

I mean seriously, go back in time and tell GA GOP voters that they're going to elect a black former athlete who has a criminal record of abuse and a soon to be criminal record of abortions.  Well, he's a republican, so you'll do it.  They may argue you then, but now?  Not so much.  I tells ya, they've cracked the code.

EDIT - And I'm not saying democrats don't have blind loyalty themselves, but like anything republicans have done it better and made a damn art form out of it.  I'm sure there is some liberal in CA running for some small town tax collector who is talking a big game about a woman's right to choose, or some such.
Reply/Quote

To be fair, the President is capable of changing gas prices. If a president plunges us into a recession or ignores a pandemic such that it destroys thousands of jobs and forces millions to work from home, it will lead to fewer people going to work and traveling and that will lead to the price of gas going down. Likewise, if a president passes laws that help job creation, paired with a response to the pandemic that leads to people returning to work and returning to the office, the price of gas will go back up :)  Ninja.

The problem is many people seem to think you can raise or lower gas prices by signing an executive order or something.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 02:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: To be fair, the President is capable of changing gas prices. If a president plunges us into a recession or ignores a pandemic such that it destroys thousands of jobs and forces millions to work from home, it will lead to fewer people going to work and traveling and that will lead to the price of gas going down. Likewise, if a president passes laws that help job creation, paired with a response to the pandemic that leads to people returning to work and returning to the office, the price of gas will go back up :)  Ninja.

The problem is many people seem to think you can raise or lower gas prices by signing an executive order or something.

So you're saying it's more like "I sure could go for massive death via pandemic and $2 gas right about now" rather than "I sure could go for a mean tweet and $2 gas right about now?"

Actually, due to the nature of my job I didn't miss a second of work due to covid and I didn't even get covid AND I got stimulus checks all the same from it.  If the only thing that matters is me and my money, that was a real golden age.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 02:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So you're saying it's more like "I sure could go for massive death via pandemic and $2 gas right about now" rather than "I sure could go for a mean tweet and $2 gas right about now?"

That is exactly what I'm saying :)

Quote:Actually, due to the nature of my job I didn't miss a second of work due to covid and I didn't even get covid AND I got stimulus checks all the same from it.  If the only thing that matters is me and my money, that was a real golden age.

Honestly, I'm in the same boat. I don't like to talk about it very often because it comes off as incredibly callous, but the nation's response COVID worked out very well for me, personally.

1. No one I know died of COVID or even had severe symptoms from COVID.
2. I am now full time work from home and there are no plans to ever go back to the office except for monthly or bimonthly visits from the client.
3. My wife was put on furlough right when my son was born (He was born in December, he came home in February from the NICU, the world shut down in March, my wife was furloughed 3 weeks after returning from maternity leave) so she was able to be a stay at home mother while still collecting enhanced unemployment.
4. We adjusted our finances to eat out less, cook at home more, shop less etc and now we can live comfortably on just my salary so she remained stay at home even after the world re-opened.
5. We were able to sell our house for a huge profit because of the scarcity caused, in part, by the pandemic, and we used those profits to buy a larger home for our growing family that, because of some bad decisions by the previous owners, was not selling so we got it for a "deal." (Still very expensive, but not as bad as relatively similar houses).
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 03:15 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. No one I know died of COVID or even had severe symptoms from COVID.

Oddly enough, I know a few people who died from it, and I know a few who had severe symptoms and nearly died from it and at no point were they convinced they should have gotten the vaccine and, and this is the wacky part, they have maintained more concern for me and others they know who DID get the vaccine.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 03:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oddly enough, I know a few people who died from it, and I know a few who had severe symptoms and nearly died from it and at no point were they convinced they should have gotten the vaccine and, and this is the wacky part, they have maintained more concern for me and others they know who DID get the vaccine.

I merely dabble in tracking extreme right wing people because following what they do and say is much like staring into the sun, but I do recall some conspiracy theory that claimed October 8th (or something like that) was the date where the virus inside the vaccine will be remotely activated by the government.

Antivaxxers used to just be misled, confused people who didn't understand how medical research worked, but now a fair number of them have descended into full blown madness.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 12:33 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m no economist how does not passing stimulus bills lower the deficit? Wouldn’t that just mean we are spending less money than previous years? But how does that lower the deficit unless we are putting more money towards lowering it?

The deficit did not decrease, i.e. the government made more money than it spent, the amount we went into debt decreased, i.e. the government spent more than it made but at a lower rate than the previous year.  We did not have the type of budget surplus that W. squandered buying votes in 2000.  To put it in personal terms, let's say I make 100k a year and last year I went nuts and spent 200k,  my net loss that year was 100k.  Now this year I curb some of my spending and only spent 120k this year, I'm still in the red, just less so than the year before.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 01:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's all political strategy. The reality is that that he can do nothing to control gas prices. It is a global commodity, driven completely off supply & demand. However, the average citizen isn't really aware of this or doesn't believe it is true. So, he claims credit for prices going down even though it wasn't his doing. People will believe him, of course, just like other people who believe it was his fault for going up. 

Didn't Stewy (or someone) explain also that oil companies tend to raise prices a bit under Dems, and lower them a bit under Repubs? I cannot remember the thread.

Seems that a President does have a bit of control if he can put a portion of our national reserves into the market. The effect may be small, but some effect at least. Also a president can coax other countries into increasing production and lowering prices that way. (Didn't work for Biden this time, though in principle it could.) 

Also, a president can open up more federal land to drilling, increasing our output a bit, though I'm told that the effects won't be felt for years. 

To the degree that a war like the one in Ukraine can affect prices, U.S. involvement may play some role in that. E.g., if we had let Ukraine fall, perhaps gas would be lower worldwide. Presidents can affect that to the degree they control U.S. involvement, and so the success of Ukraine and the length of the war. 
Reply/Quote