Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biden's Mexican Now?!
(09-17-2020, 04:28 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I didn’t claim to find either appealing. I claimed to prefer one to the other. Debunked might be your opinion, but not mine. Maybe I should have went with Trump’s pandering to white nationalist claiming he can’t get a fair trial from a “Mexican” judge who was born in Indian? What comment did Biden make during that speech that made you believe he talked to Hispanics like they aren’t human beings like everyone else? Was it when he threw paper towels to them?

Yeah, I get it, you find Trump so repugnant that Biden can be deficient in myriad ways and you'll still prefer him.  As I have told people in the past, better than shit can still be crap.  The problem is that many voters aren't as strident in their opinions as you are.  Regardless I'm that odd guy who would prefer a good candidate for POTUS, not one that's slightly better than someone I believe is awful.

(09-17-2020, 09:30 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, I think it is regional. I hear Latino a lot more in MD than I did 20 years ago. From my experience, I'd say my kids are more likely to use the two interchangeably while younger adults are more likely to use Latino. 

For my own purposes in social studies class (and this thread), I almost always use Latino because I am usually referring to people from or of an ethnic group from Latin America not just Spanish speakers. 

Interesting.  Given that gendered language is intrinsic to all the languages descended from Latin what are your thoughts on the whole Latinx movement?  As I stated above, everyone I know finds the term offensive and comical.  Their position being that it's disrespectful to their linguistic heritage.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, I get it, you find Trump so repugnant that Biden can be deficient in myriad ways and you'll still prefer him.  As I have told people in the past, better than shit can still be crap.  The problem is that many voters aren't as strident in their opinions as you are.  Regardless I'm that odd guy who would prefer a good candidate for POTUS, not one that's slightly better than someone I believe is awful.

I think it's more about people's willingness to convince themselves the guy who represents their side is awesome.  I can see how people would convince themselves Trump is awesome when they've already been convinced that liberals are going to destroy the country and he's their only ray of hope. To me that seems pretty stupid, but I'm mostly just jealous that I can't look at a candidate with a specific letter in front of his name and start to swoon with delight.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brad, I think you have Biden Derangement Syndrome...
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interesting.  Given that gendered language is intrinsic to all the languages descended from Latin what are your thoughts on the whole Latinx movement?  As I stated above, everyone I know finds the term offensive and comical.  Their position being that it's disrespectful to their linguistic heritage.

Not speaking for Pat, but around here things are about the same as I described. I use Latino more than anything just because of the multiple different countries of origin we have in my area (we are a refugee resettlement area) and that seems to be a more commonly used one in the community. We also see Latinx used around here on a pretty regular basis, but mostly by white folks trying to be inclusive or intersectional in their allyship. I've never really had a discussion with anyone in the Latino communities of the area about the term, but I have seen/heard some of the younger ones, usually women, using the term.

Personally, I don't really care too much. I'm still trying to get Scout leaders to stop just saying "boys" when referring to our Scouts, so I'm not even going down the "Latinx" road with them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interesting.  Given that gendered language is intrinsic to all the languages descended from Latin what are your thoughts on the whole Latinx movement?  As I stated above, everyone I know finds the term offensive and comical.  Their position being that it's disrespectful to their linguistic heritage.

I understand why it exists, but I haven't encountered its use outside of the internet nor have I met anyone who takes issue with just "Latino" to describe the group as a whole. 

I use "guys" a lot to refer to my class. We had an admin talk about her doing the same thing last year and working on using neutral language, though she admitted its hard to break those habits. It's actually beneficial for me when speaking with students who are trans boys (who I've known 4 in the last 5 years) because then I'm always says "dude". 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 08:44 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s a good thing Trump has you, Sean Spicer, Sarah Sanders, Stephanie Grisham, Kayleigh McEnany, Hope Hicks, Anthony Scaramucci, Kellyanne Conway, etc to tell us what he meant to say instead of the words that literally came out of his mouth. Like disinfectant injections. Thank goodness you were here to explain he didn’t literally mean disinfectant injections; that was just code for thinking outside the box.

Trump doesn't "have me" bro.  I like his policies more than progressive policies. Oh, you might want to rethink the mooch connection.  lol

I have voted Dem numerous times.  I even voted for Obama.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Please tell me that someone else saw Joe Biden walk out onto the stage, pick up an iPhone, and start playing that song from Mexico?!

Does nobody watch after this guy so he doesn't do things like this?!

How can anybody vote for this guy?!

Puerto Rico. PR. An American Territory; your, "51st State."

The song has been out since 2016 or 2017; it was the, "song of the summer," for that year and has been played to absolute death on EVERY pop radio station, internet, movies, memes, parodies, etc., etc., etc., since it came out; it is easily the most popular song of the last 5 years (sadly. God-awful song).

How have you not heard it even once since then?

Better yet, HTF do you not know it's PR? HE EVEN SAYS IN THE SONG, "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT HERE/DOWN/WHATEVER IN PUERTO RICO."

And then Trumpers wonder why they get ridiculed...

(09-17-2020, 01:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually his target audience is Hispanic Americans as citizens of Mexico nor Puerto Rico cannot vote in our elections. He was clearly pandering to the Hispanic American voter (the point of your OP) and it was as bad as when Hills stated she always had Hot Sauce with her.

While technically true, they can vote in the elections:

https://www.puertoricoreport.com/14310-2/#:~:text=Puerto%20Ricans%20to%20%E2%80%98Vote%E2%80%99%20for%20President%20in%202020.,the%20candidates%20who%20win%20Florida%E2%80%99s%20important%20Electoral%20Votes.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Please tell me that someone else saw Joe Biden walk out onto the stage, pick up an iPhone, and start playing that song from Mexico?!

Does nobody watch after this guy so he doesn't do things like this?!

How can anybody vote for this guy?!

What's even more noteworthy is that a Latino's for Biden "Car parade" was held, and only 3 cars showed up..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:27 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Why would you think that, Brad?

Because there's 37 million Mexican Americans in the country, as opposed to 3.3 million Puerto Ricans, so why would he pander to the smaller group?

It's like this: if he were pandering to a group of German people, would he play French music just because they're both from Europe and both groups are the same race?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's even more noteworthy is that a Latino's for Biden "Car parade" was held, and only 3 cars showed up..

More like 30, if you're referring to the one in Vegas.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 12:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Puerto Rico. PR. An American Territory; your, "51st State."

The song has been out since 2016 or 2017; it was the, "song of the summer," for that year and has been played to absolute death on EVERY pop radio station, internet, movies, memes, parodies, etc., etc., etc., since it came out; it is easily the most popular song of the last 5 years (sadly. God-awful song).

How have you not heard it even once since then?

Better yet, HTF do you not know it's PR? HE EVEN SAYS IN THE SONG, "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT HERE/DOWN/WHATEVER IN PUERTO RICO."

And then Trumpers wonder why they get ridiculed...

While technically true, they can vote in the elections:

https://www.puertoricoreport.com/14310-2/#:~:text=Puerto%20Ricans%20to%20%E2%80%98Vote%E2%80%99%20for%20President%20in%202020.,the%20candidates%20who%20win%20Florida%E2%80%99s%20important%20Electoral%20Votes.

One of my favorite lines from the Mindy Project was when Danny says "PR consultant, what a joke. I remember when "PR" meant "Puerto Rican".

Also, yes, someone from Puerto Rico can vote in our (them included since it's for their President) election if they have residency in a state. Every state varies on what degree of residency you need to vote and you can only vote in one state. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because there's 37 million Mexican Americans in the country, as opposed to 3.3 million Puerto Ricans, so why would he pander to the smaller group?

It's like this: if he were pandering to a group of German people, would he play French music just because they're both from Europe and both groups are the same race?

Trump played anti war hippie California music recently.  I dont think people are savvy enough to notice this sort of thing.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because there's 37 million Mexican Americans in the country, as opposed to 3.3 million Puerto Ricans, so why would he pander to the smaller group?

If he was at a European Heritage event hosted primarily by French people in an area that is predominantly French, and the person introducing him wrote the French song, then yes the song choice makes sense.

The issue is that you keep 1) keep ignoring that it was mostly Puerto Ricans in a Puerto Rican area, and 2) you are using Mexican and Hispanic interchangeably, so these responses you are giving to the profound ignorance from your OP are themselves increasingly ignorant. This has also caused your example to make absolutely no sense.  

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: More like 30, if you're referring to the one in Vegas.

Plus Latinos have a tendency to pack like 10 in a single car, don't they? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:26 AM)Benton Wrote: Why?

Mexicans don't vote in us elections. 

Sorry, I don't understand the implication.

Because there's 34 million more Mexican Americans than there is Puerto Rican Americans.

(09-17-2020, 01:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually his target audience is Hispanic Americans as citizens of Mexico nor Puerto Rico cannot vote in our elections. He was clearly pandering to the Hispanic American voter (the point of your OP) and it was as bad as when Hills stated she always had Hot Sauce with her. 
Ok, well, as I stated, he was pandering to Hispanic Americans from Mexican origin, not Puerto Rican origin, as there's 34 million more Mexican Americans in this country.

If he were trying to pander to German Americans, would he come out with bagpipes playing?  

(09-17-2020, 10:38 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Brad, I think you have Biden Derangement Syndrome...
I just find it hilarious that the main stream media, and Democrats, ignore how Biden's mental decline.

(09-17-2020, 01:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's even more noteworthy is that a Latino's for Biden "Car parade" was held, and only 3 cars showed up..

I know!  

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Good ol' Kentucky racism.

Reply/Quote
Tough to have a rational conversation with someone that thinks bagpipes are German in origin.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:03 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I just find it hilarious that the main stream media, and Democrats, ignore how Biden's mental decline.

Nobody is ignoring it.

They just view it as simply not as bad as Trump.

I would go over the reasons why, but we've done that so many times now and it doesn't appear to be sinking in so...eh. I'll just save myself the energy.
Reply/Quote
Again, Trump played a song that basically says "screw people like Trump." Why no concerns about his mental acuity? Maybe Trump should have played polka to win over the PA swing state.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, Trump played a song that basically says "screw people like Trump."  Why no concerns about his mental acuity?  Maybe Trump should have played polka to win over the PA swing state.

Well, he did post a picture of him eating a Philly cheesesteak.

So I think he knows what Pennsylvanians want in their leader.

Reply/Quote