Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biden's Mexican Now?!
(09-17-2020, 01:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 0 idea how you got that from what I stated. 

I just shared what I thought the new forum was trying to achieve. Obviously I was mistaken. 

Obviously, you're trolling once again with the thinly veiled criticisms of the moderation.  As if you didn't get the hint after your first comment criticizing the moderation was deleted.

Yet, here you are, still trolling.  I don't really want to entertain anymore complaints you're the most persecuted poster here because you're getting away with the same ol' shit.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:21 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Then it's even more stupid on Joe's part because I'd think his main target audience to pander to would be Mexicans, not Puerto Ricans!

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Why?

Mexicans don't vote in us elections. 

Sorry, I don't understand the implication.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:21 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Then it's even more stupid on Joe's part because I'd think his main target audience to pander to would be Mexicans, not Puerto Ricans!

Why would you think that, Brad?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you're right. 

You brought it up. What should be the focus here? 
Reply/Quote

Actually his target audience is Hispanic Americans as citizens of Mexico nor Puerto Rico cannot vote in our elections. He was clearly pandering to the Hispanic American voter (the point of your OP) and it was as bad as when Hills stated she always had Hot Sauce with her. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:26 AM)Benton Wrote: Why?

Mexicans don't vote in us elections. 

Sorry, I don't understand the implication.

[Image: FORUM_POLICE.jpg]

Pull over!  Pull over!

Mexicans voting in our elections wasn't in the OP.  I'm gonna have to ask you to stay on topic.  Just talk about the things bfine says it is okay for you to talk about.  Pro tip: before hitting that enter button, ask yourself, "WWBF32D?"  Don't start none, won't be none.  Move along.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually his target audience if Hispanic Americans as citizens of Mexico nor Puerto Rico can vote in our elections. He was clearly pandering to the Hispanic American voter (the point of your OP) and it was as bad as when Hills stated she always had Hot Sauce with her. 

Now you're telling the OP what his point was?  That's might White Knight of you.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:25 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There are more Puerto Ricans in Florida than Mexicans. Central Florida in particular (where this event was) is home to the majority of Puerto Rican Floridians. The Orlando-Kissimmee metropolitan region is only behind New York City when it comes to having the largest Puerto Rican population.

It's really not hard to just look stuff up before doubling down on ignorance.

And, as many have told you, the guy on stage with him created the song...

Well, first off, my girlfriend is Puerto Rican and found this display on the epic side of the cringe scale.  Secondly, I doubt most non-Hispanics realize the immense differences between Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans, Costa Ricans, Panamanians, Bolivians and the myriad other Hispanic countries.  An old white dude like Biden likely has zero knowledge of this.  As stated by others this is pandering of douche chill level.

The interesting thing is my current work assignment is in East LA and the vast majority of the officers there are Hispanic.  The vast majority of them are also hard core Trump supporters.  I guess make of that what you will. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, first off, my girlfriend is Puerto Rican and found this display on the epic side of the cringe scale.  Secondly, I doubt most non-Hispanics realize the immense differences between Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans, Costa Ricans, Panamanians, Bolivians and the myriad other Hispanic countries.  An old white dude like Biden likely has zero knowledge of this.  As stated by others this is pandering of douche chill level.

The interesting thing is my current work assignment is in East LA and the vast majority of the officers there are Hispanic.  The vast majority of them are also hard core Trump supporters.  I guess make of that what you will. 

Your views noted, but cringe and whether Biden knew this guy was Puerto Rican is irrelevant to Brad saying "Mexican" and suggesting that the main audience would be Mexican. 

Though, Biden did get in trouble a month or two ago for noting the diversity in Latino ethnicities in the US when he contrasted it to the relative lack of diversity in Black ethnic groups, so I'd disagree with suggesting he has "zero knowledge" of it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, first off, my girlfriend is Puerto Rican and found this display on the epic side of the cringe scale.  Secondly, I doubt most non-Hispanics realize the immense differences between Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans, Costa Ricans, Panamanians, Bolivians and the myriad other Hispanic countries.  An old white dude like Biden likely has zero knowledge of this.  As stated by others this is pandering of douche chill level.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475778-1/joe-biden-speaks-hispanic-heritage-month-event-kissimmee-florida

I'd rather see pandering to Hispanic voters at a Hispanic Heritage Month celebration by playing that Mexican song rather than Trump pandering to white nationalists with his very fine people on both sides comments.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: An old white dude like Biden likely has zero knowledge of this.  As stated by others this is pandering of douche chill level.

To be fair, plenty of younger folks have as much knowledge in this thread.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:46 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Your views noted, but cringe and whether Biden knew this guy was Puerto Rican is irrelevant to Brad saying "Mexican" and suggesting that the main audience would be Mexican.

Well, Brad's position on this is hardly surprising.  Nor do I find his position on anything exactly compelling.

Quote:Though, Biden did get in trouble a month or two ago for noting the diversity in Latino ethnicities in the US when he contrasted it to the relative lack of diversity in Black ethnic groups, so I'd disagree with suggesting he has "zero knowledge" of it. 

Sure, being aware of the different nationalities is one thing.  Being aware of what that actually means is another.  Also, and this may be different on the east coast, but I almost never hear a Hispanic person (and yes, I realize that term technically excludes Brazilians and people from Belize) use the term Latino.  Don't even start with Latinx, which every Hispanic I have talked to about it finds immensely offensive. 

(09-17-2020, 01:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.c-span.org/video/?475778-1/joe-biden-speaks-hispanic-heritage-month-event-kissimmee-florida

I'd rather see pandering to Hispanic voters at a Hispanic Heritage Month celebration by playing that Mexican song rather than Trump pandering to white nationalists with his very fine people on both sides comments.

Not a surprising point of view I suppose.  I don't find either very appealing.  One, while debunked, shows a startling lack of awareness (using the border wall would have been a better example btw), and the other is pandering of the most obvious sort.  Maybe just talk to Hispanic voters like they're human beings like everyone else?  There's a radical idea.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:09 AM)Benton Wrote: To be fair, plenty of younger folks have as much knowledge in this thread.

Hahaha, fair enough.  I was born in CA and have lived most of my life here so it's hard for me to envision otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:12 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, Brad's position on this is hardly surprising.  Nor do I find his position on anything exactly compelling.

Sure, being aware of the different nationalities is one thing.  Being aware of what that actually means is another.  Also, and this may be different on the east coast, but I almost never hear a Hispanic person (and yes, I realize that term technically excludes Brazilians and people from Belize) use the term Latino.  Don't even start with Latinx, which every Hispanic I have talked to about it finds immensely offensive. 

Not a surprising point of view I suppose.  I don't find either very appealing.  One, while debunked, shows a startling lack of awareness (using the border wall would have been a better example btw), and the other is pandering of the most obvious sort.  Maybe just talk to Hispanic voters like they're human beings like everyone else?  There's a radical idea.

I didn’t claim to find either appealing. I claimed to prefer one to the other. Debunked might be your opinion, but not mine. Maybe I should have went with Trump’s pandering to white nationalist claiming he can’t get a fair trial from a “Mexican” judge who was born in Indiana? What comment did Biden make during that speech that made you believe he talked to Hispanics like they aren’t human beings like everyone else? Was it when he threw paper towels to them?
Reply/Quote
46 days 20 hours 11 minutes.
Reply/Quote
I have no doubt the clip is full of cringe, but how is it compared to Trump coming off of AF1 to the sounds of Fortunate Son?

I only ask because if we're basing our votes off of ridiculous song picks, pandering to a crowd isn't nearly as bad as not having enough self-awareness to realize that you're the kind of person a song is actively attacking.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.c-span.org/video/?475778-1/joe-biden-speaks-hispanic-heritage-month-event-kissimmee-florida

You are a smart guy and you know exactly what he meant.  I even stated in a comment in another thread that my very first thought when he said that live was "oh crap, I know what you mean, but the media is going to twist the shit out that."

I suppose you think that 2014 picture of kids in cages is Trumps fault to?

So if Trump is pandering to White Supremacists (total BS), then Biden is pandering to BLM, ANTIFA and the Black Panthers?  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 08:24 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: You are a smart guy and you know exactly what he meant.  I even stated in a comment in another thread that my very first thought when he said that live was "oh crap, I know what you mean, but the media is going to twist the shit out that."

So if Trump is pandering to White Supremacists (total BS), then Biden is pandering to BLM, ANTIFA and the Black Panthers?  

It’s a good thing Trump has you, Sean Spicer, Sarah Sanders, Stephanie Grisham, Kayleigh McEnany, Hope Hicks, Anthony Scaramucci, Kellyanne Conway, etc to tell us what he meant to say instead of the words that literally came out of his mouth. Like disinfectant injections. Thank goodness you were here to explain he didn’t literally mean disinfectant injections; that was just code for thinking outside the box.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:12 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, Brad's position on this is hardly surprising.  Nor do I find his position on anything exactly compelling.

Yea, I think it is regional. I hear Latino a lot more in MD than I did 20 years ago. From my experience, I'd say my kids are more likely to use the two interchangeably while younger adults are more likely to use Latino. 

For my own purposes in social studies class (and this thread), I almost always use Latino because I am usually referring to people from or of an ethnic group from Latin America not just Spanish speakers. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 08:24 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: You are a smart guy and you know exactly what he meant.  I even stated in a comment in another thread that my very first thought when he said that live was "oh crap, I know what you mean, but the media is going to twist the shit out that."

Just to be clear, the issue with him saying "fine people on both sides" is that one side was a rally organized by white supremacists who chanted "Jews will not replace us". There were no "fine people" on that side. He tried to imply that many people were just there for the statue, but again, it was organized by white supremacists and they chanted... "Jews will not replace us" while carrying tiki torches and parading by the statue. 

The 2014 picture isn't his fault. Creating a zero tolerance policy to separate thousands of children from their families, including detaining legal asylum seekers, and failing to appropriately keep records to reunite families is his fault. 

Those three "groups" are not equivalent to white supremacists. 

Reply/Quote