Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden's VP
(03-16-2020, 09:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I voted for Gary Johnson because Bill Weld was his VP.

(I probably would have anyway, because I sure as hell wasn't voting Trump or Hillary, but Bill Weld being his VP made me feel much better about voting for Johnson. Going to write in Weld tomorrow.)

I could have sworn we’ve had a conversation about contradicting me in public.

And how could the VP of someone who couldn’t possibly win matter? I voted for Johnson and had no idea who is VP was. I wasn’t voting for the person in that instance.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ann Coulter. She’ll make the perfect VP for Biden.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(03-16-2020, 05:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 1200px-Condoleezza_Rice.jpg]

I like Condi as a scholar, but she lacks the kind of character needed to hold office, especially at the national level. By that I mean she submits too quickly to party authority, tells leaders what they want to hear, won't rock the boat when it needs rocking. 

There are Republican women I admire as politicians, like Christine Todd Whitman. But they won't attract Republican voters anymore.  
(03-16-2020, 01:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think there are a number of options. I have no doubt that both Biden and Bernie have their eye on Stacey Abrams.

Southern state/Swing state (Georgia is turning purple before our very eyes)
young
black
woman
charismatic
likable
recognizable (from her highly publicized run at the Georgia Governorship in 2018).
She checks all the boxes for an ideal VP pick that has intersections with identity politics (as that is the main reason to announce that your pick will definitely be a woman)

And, perhaps most importantly for Biden, she appears far more progressive than she is  (she is a Georgian politician after all). Her stances on healthcare, public education and criminal justice are probably more left than Biden, but nowhere near as left as Bernie or Warren. She is well liked among progressives despite her political differences (perhaps due to identity politics reasons). She has been tossed around Bernie's circles for VP pick for a while now, to general approval, to give you a perspective on how progressives feel about her.

If Biden can secure Abrams, I think that's the slam dunk case for him.

But, more likely, it'll be a more generic and safe choice like Kamala or even a relative unknown in order to "secure" a swing state like Fred suggests (kind of like Tim Kaine was in 2016).
My money is on Abrams.  I think she's the one that his campaign has been hoping for the whole time.
Tulsi dropped out and endorsed Biden.

Maybe Tulsi? Might draw some moderate votes and meets both Democrat checkmarks of female and minority for the VP.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-18-2020, 03:55 PM)samhain Wrote: My money is on Abrams.  I think she's the one that his campaign has been hoping for the whole time.

She is "clean and articulate" for a black person.
(03-19-2020, 04:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tulsi dropped out and endorsed Biden.

Maybe Tulsi? Might draw some moderate votes and meets both Democrat checkmarks of female and minority for the VP.

LOL. No way that DINO will be selected. She might boost Biden's numbers 1%, at most, but would likely drive them down. 

Think of the fear behind Biden's choice--if he dies or is incapacitated, then his VP is our national leader. 

Female or not, no one wants that to be the slowest candidate on either side of the aisle.
(03-19-2020, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: She is "clean and articulate" for a black person.

LOL.  She's from a southern state that's a decent candidate to be turned blue at some point in the near future.  She's also accumulated a lot of political clout in a fairly short time, organizing to get hundreds of thousands of new voters registered in the state.  

The Republicans are in the catbird seat right now.  They have the court and a Senate that cares about little other than defending the executive.  

However, in the near future, their time will almost certainly end.  Their stranglehold on places like Georgia, Texas, and North Carolina  is showing a lot of cracks.  Dems already have the West Coast and Northeast in the bag.  If any of those electoral vote-heavy states turn, then it's over.  

Abrams may help accelerate the inevitable in Georgia.