Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Biden's VP - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Biden's VP (/Thread-Biden-s-VP)

Pages: 1 2

Biden's VP - fredtoast - 03-16-2020

He just said it would be a woman.

Any guesses?

If he chooses Killary and gets elected how long will he live?

RE: Biden's VP - fredtoast - 03-16-2020

Kathleen Sebelius is from Ohio.  Might help in a crucial swing state.

Former Governor can tout executive experience.

Hilda Solis is the daughter of immigrants and pretty progressive.

She might appeal to the Dems who don't like Biden because he is old and white.

RE: Biden's VP - NATI BENGALS - 03-16-2020

1. Michelle Obama
2. Elizabeth Warren
3. Amy Klobuchar
4. Tulsi

and in a distant 5th. Stormy

RE: Biden's VP - CJD - 03-16-2020

I think there are a number of options. I have no doubt that both Biden and Bernie have their eye on Stacey Abrams.

Southern state/Swing state (Georgia is turning purple before our very eyes)
young
black
woman
charismatic
likable
recognizable (from her highly publicized run at the Georgia Governorship in 2018).
She checks all the boxes for an ideal VP pick that has intersections with identity politics (as that is the main reason to announce that your pick will definitely be a woman)

And, perhaps most importantly for Biden, she appears far more progressive than she is (she is a Georgian politician after all). Her stances on healthcare, public education and criminal justice are probably more left than Biden, but nowhere near as left as Bernie or Warren. She is well liked among progressives despite her political differences (perhaps due to identity politics reasons). She has been tossed around Bernie's circles for VP pick for a while now, to general approval, to give you a perspective on how progressives feel about her.

If Biden can secure Abrams, I think that's the slam dunk case for him.

But, more likely, it'll be a more generic and safe choice like Kamala or even a relative unknown in order to "secure" a swing state like Fred suggests (kind of like Tim Kaine was in 2016).

Janet Napolitano

Former Governor of Arizona and Sec of Homeland Security under Obama.

RE: Biden's VP - Yojimbo - 03-16-2020

You guys are thinking way too narrow. Biden also said he’d be open to a Republican VP, so Susan Collins, Michelle Bachman, Jonie Ernst?

RE: Biden's VP - BrownAssClown - 03-16-2020

Kamala Harris would be my guess.

(03-16-2020, 02:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You guys are thinking way too narrow. Biden also said he’d be open to a Republican VP, so Susan Collins, Michelle Bachman, Jonie Ernst?

How the hell could a democrat run with a republican VP?  There would be too many differences in policy positions.

Biden already has to worry about motivating the young progressive wing of the Democratic party to support him over Bernie.  They would all just stay home on election day if he chose a Republican VP. 

RE: Biden's VP - Yojimbo - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How the hell could a democrat run with a republican VP?  There would be too many differences in policy positions.

Biden already has to worry about motivating the young progressive wing of the Democratic party to support him over Bernie.  They would all just stay home on election day if he chose a Republican VP. 

I think the mistaken thinking is, it would get some Republicans and conservative independents to vote for Biden and he wouldn’t need the progressive wing of the Democratic Party.

(03-16-2020, 02:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think the mistaken thinking is, it would get some Republicans and conservative independents to vote for Biden and he wouldn’t need the progressive wing of the Democratic Party.

But that would just create a bigger rift and do more damage to the party in the long run.

RE: Biden's VP - CJD - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But that would just create a bigger rift and do more damage to the party in the long run.

Neoliberals rarely concern themselves with the prospect of damaging their party in the long run though.

RE: Biden's VP - Benton - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 02:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think the mistaken thinking is, it would get some Republicans and conservative independents to vote for Biden and he wouldn’t need the progressive wing of the Democratic Party.

Yeah but didn't he specifically  say he'd be looking for a progressive female?

RE: Biden's VP - Dill - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 02:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You guys are thinking way too narrow. Biden also said he’d be open to a Republican VP, so Susan Collins, Michelle Bachman, Jonie Ernst?

[Image: republican-stupidity-and-sarah-palin.jpg]

RE: Biden's VP - Nately120 - 03-16-2020

Is Geraldine Ferraro still alive?

RE: Biden's VP - TheLeonardLeap - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 05:02 PM)Dill Wrote: [Image: republican-stupidity-and-sarah-palin.jpg]

[Image: 1200px-Condoleezza_Rice.jpg]

RE: Biden's VP - BmorePat87 - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 01:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think there are a number of options. I have no doubt that both Biden and Bernie have their eye on Stacey Abrams.

Southern state/Swing state (Georgia is turning purple before our very eyes)
young
black
woman
charismatic
likable
recognizable (from her highly publicized run at the Georgia Governorship in 2018).
She checks all the boxes for an ideal VP pick that has intersections with identity politics (as that is the main reason to announce that your pick will definitely be a woman)

And, perhaps most importantly for Biden, she appears far more progressive than she is  (she is a Georgian politician after all). Her stances on healthcare, public education and criminal justice are probably more left than Biden, but nowhere near as left as Bernie or Warren. She is well liked among progressives despite her political differences (perhaps due to identity politics reasons). She has been tossed around Bernie's circles for VP pick for a while now, to general approval, to give you a perspective on how progressives feel about her.

If Biden can secure Abrams, I think that's the slam dunk case for him.

But, more likely, it'll be a more generic and safe choice like Kamala or even a relative unknown in order to "secure" a swing state like Fred suggests (kind of like Tim Kaine was in 2016).

1. Stacey Abrams

2. Kamala Harris

3. Susan Rice

RE: Biden's VP - Belsnickel - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 05:02 PM)Dill Wrote: [Image: republican-stupidity-and-sarah-palin.jpg]

When they unmasked her on The Masked Singer last week it was more of her than I ever wanted to see in my life after he failed run with McCain.

RE: Biden's VP - michaelsean - 03-16-2020

Yeah few to no Republicans are voting for Biden because he has a Republican VP. A Republican who doesn’t want to vote for Trump and can’t swallow Biden isn’t going to card if Susan Collins is on the ticket.

I guess it must must happen or they wouldn’t worry about it, but I don’t think I know a single person whose vote was based in any part on the VP. I guess maybe Cheney gave some people more confidence in Bush.

RE: Biden's VP - TheLeonardLeap - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 08:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah few to no Republicans are voting for Biden because he has a Republican VP. A Republican who doesn’t want to vote for Trump and can’t swallow Biden isn’t going to card if Susan Collins is on the ticket.

I guess it must must happen or they wouldn’t worry about it, but I don’t think I know a single person whose vote was based in any part on the VP. I guess maybe Cheney gave some people more confidence in Bush.

I voted for Gary Johnson because Bill Weld was his VP.

(I probably would have anyway, because I sure as hell wasn't voting Trump or Hillary, but Bill Weld being his VP made me feel much better about voting for Johnson. Going to write in Weld tomorrow.)