Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden's first test: pass his covid relief plan or compromise with GOP
The biggest narrative surrounding the Biden administration right now is handling an inherited mess with regards to the pandemic. Whether it's a lack of a plan, far less doses of vaccine than previously stated, or just a lack of infrastructure, the Biden team is realizing that his plan will take longer to execute since essential pieces were never put in place by the Trump administration.

Covid relief legislation is part of the plan, and one that Biden does not necessarily need Republicans on board for given the success in the GA Senate races. That said, a group of GOP lawmakers are trying counter offer a plan that is roughly 1/3rd the size that Biden has been eyeing.

Biden has stated that bipartisanship and bringing people in is essential to recovering from the last 4 years. What Biden does now can shape the next two years. Letting Republicans know that they matter in the process helps with swing Senator Manchin (who is already salty that Harris spoke to WV media about covid without letting him know first) and helps to sell the spirit of bipartisanship.

On the other hand, caving to the GOP when he doesn't need to could be a "give an inch, they take a mile" situation (which is likely given that McConnell may be the most toxic element of national politics in the last 40 years). It also would be seen as a betrayal to those who elected him to provide change and relief.

Collins, who deserves very little respect for being a wet doormat for Trump, presenting Biden with a $600b counter offer to his $1.9t plan doesn't seem to be a good faith offer. Capping payments to families making $50k works for Portman and Ohio with their low cost of living and average mean salary, but it's unrealistic for much of the US and just makes him come off as another multi millionaire who is too detached from reality to understand struggling Americans.

Does Biden need to signal to the GOP, "I'm president and I am supported by a majority in Congress. I will ask for your input, something you didn't do in 2017-2018, but I'm not going to drastically shift my agenda for you"?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see some compromise because it would be a sign that the GOP maybe learned a lesson...but I doubt it will happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Not only does Biden have Congress on his side, he has the American people. The relief package he is pushing for is what the majority of Americans want to see. That narrative needs to be made clear. I understand having a conversation with Republican members of Congress, but their sudden concern for the deficit after passing tax cuts that reduced revenues by trillions and support of bloated military budgets is transparent as hell.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I just read about the GOP's "counterproposal." As far as stimulus checks go, it would reset the threshold for stimulus checks to people making $40,000 dollars or less will receive $1000 dollars, and it phases out in its entirety at $50,000.

Leave it to Republicans to offer tax cuts to the ultra wealthy but then, when it comes time to save people living through a pandemic, they decide a middle management position means you're "too wealthy" for stimulus, I guess.

I think the disconnect here is that Republicans fundamentally don't understand the purpose of a stimulus. The point of a stimulus is not to save "the poors" from starving to death (not that 1000 dollars would do that anyway). It's to stimulate the economy so that, when the federal extensions to unemployment and federal assistance programs inevitably run out, there may be jobs for unemployed people to go back to. That means the stimulus checks are not supposed to be given to people who need them but, rather, given to people who will spend it if it is given to them. That means people who either don't have disposable income or people who don't have a lot of disposable income. And that barrier is WAY above $50,000 a year. I make over twice that and I still do not have all that much disposable income (Granted, my wife is a stay at home wife, so I guess you could say we each make a little over $50,000, since my income is supporting the entire household).

Hopefully, Biden sees through the Republicans' nonsense and just ignores this silly proposal and moves forward with his 1.9 trillion dollar bill, through reconciliation if required.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 02:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just read about the GOP's "counterproposal." As far as stimulus checks go, it would reset the threshold for stimulus checks to people making $40,000 dollars or less will receive $1000 dollars, and it phases out in its entirety at $50,000.

Leave it to Republicans to offer tax cuts to the ultra wealthy but then, when it comes time to save people living through a pandemic, they decide a middle management position means you're "too wealthy" for stimulus, I guess.

I think the disconnect here is that Republicans fundamentally don't understand the purpose of a stimulus. The point of a stimulus is not to save "the poors" from starving to death (not that 1000 dollars would do that anyway). It's to stimulate the economy so that, when the federal extensions to unemployment and federal assistance programs inevitably run out, there may be jobs for unemployed people to go back to. That means the stimulus checks are not supposed to be given to people who need them but, rather, given to people who will spend it if it is given to them. That means people who either don't have disposable income or people who don't have a lot of disposable income. And that barrier is WAY above $50,000 a year. I make over twice that and I still do not have all that much disposable income (Granted, my wife is a stay at home wife, so I guess you could say we each make a little over $50,000, since my income is supporting the entire household).

Hopefully, Biden sees through the Republicans' nonsense and just ignores this silly proposal and moves forward with his 1.9 trillion dollar bill, through reconciliation if required.

They can kick rocks on that counter-proposal. My wife and I were in the phased-out portion of the last two rounds and frankly we don't need to be included in this, but starting the phase-out at 40k is a non-starter to me. If you want to start at 60k and be phased out by 75k I can get behind that but that starts at 2k not 1k.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 02:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not only does Biden have Congress on his side, he has the American people. The relief package he is pushing for is what the majority of Americans want to see. That narrative needs to be made clear. I understand having a conversation with Republican members of Congress, but their sudden concern for the deficit after passing tax cuts that reduced revenues by trillions and support of bloated military budgets is transparent as hell.

Of course the majority want to see it. They get paid.

I’ll be excited to see how big the military gets cut down. Both houses and the White House. No excuses.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 05:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’ll be excited to see how big the military gets cut down. Both houses and the White House. No excuses.

I'd like to see it brought back about 15-20%, but if they can find revenue in other places like the high-frequency trading tax, I am less worried about cutting it for the sake of cutting it.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 05:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd like to see it brought back about 15-20%, but if they can find revenue in other places like the high-frequency trading tax, I am less worried about cutting it for the sake of cutting it.

I’m no expert but I find it hard to believe there isn’t a nice chunk of money that can be pulled, especially if we stop being the world’s policeman.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 05:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m no expert but I find it hard to believe there isn’t a nice chunk of money that can be pulled, especially if we stop being the world’s policeman.

I agree, but I am also not in favor of cutting it for the sake of it. Like if we have a plan to repurpose it for something, then sure let's gut it. I am more focused on taxing stock transactions because the idea of HFT itself is a problem so using a tax to potentially lessen its use is great and if it doesn't we get a bunch of revenue with no loss to the average person. 

If I am going to burn up political capital off the top, I am not ready to go there yet. I think I have more important things to start with and then depending on how the ebb and flow goes come back to that down the road.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I'm not a big fan of either. Nearly 2 trillion with our deficit is horrible. On the other hand, the republican plan is a lot like the last plan: it won't do much to help people impacted.

As to the op, it's an interesting point. If Biden doesn't do something to help people, it'll be another Obamacare (good intentions, but utlimately no helpful and could dissuade party members). But if he pushes through whatever, then it feeds to gop narrative that Dems 'just won't work together despite the olive branch.'
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 05:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Of course the majority want to see it. They get paid.

I’ll be excited to see how big the military gets cut down. Both houses and the White House. No excuses.

Hahahahahaha! You think they will actually cut military spending!? Hilarious

On a more serious note, I don't want to see any spending cuts right now, really. Now, once the economy turns around? Raise taxes and cut spending. Let's get some actual Keynesian action going.

Not that it'll actually happen, but a guy can dream.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 02:01 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Does Biden need to signal to the GOP, "I'm president and I am supported by a majority in Congress. I will ask for your input, something you didn't do in 2017-2018, but I'm not going to drastically shift my agenda for you"?

I think he should do more than "ask for input."

I think he should make a public show of trying to work with the 10, keep their proposals and reasons for not agreeing to the other side before the public.  

The public communication/messaging is all important, so people can see why compromises are accepted or rejected. It's rather like past government shutdown battles, in which it is important to keep blame for failure clear.  I am not certain how sincere the 10 are, since there proposal is so far short of what is needed, but I am sure that other Republicans will be doing their best to prevent Biden from getting any kind of "win," most especially one which proves success at reaching across the aisle.

I expect Biden will have to come down some, but the emphasis should be on concerns expressed by C-Dawg and AU above. 

Get money into the hands of those who won't just save it, but will need to spend it.
Reply/Quote