Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Names on the Chopping Block
(08-25-2016, 12:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mingo putting on #20, would put him in the mid 240s, as I was reading that in January he was at 227.  No matter how fast and aggressive, I just don't believe that being South of #250 is quite enough ass to get the job done in a 4-3.

Mingo was 241 at the draft, my understanding is he is in the 260's at this point. By the way Bruce Irvin has lined up at essentially a DE in sub packages at 245. Note I mentioned use him as a situational speed rusher.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 01:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Clarke has looked better, and at least he takes up space. lol

I think something that is highly overlooked this year is the health of MJ. MJ wasn't 100% himself last year, and so far, he has looked great. Really thinking MJ looks like he did a few years ago when he had close to double digit sacks and held the left side down all day.

I still think they need help with the rotation.  Clark seems to have improved a bit, but Hunt is just terrible.
Reply/Quote
Per Schefter, Mingo is being traded to New England.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/25/browns-trade-barkevious-mingo-to-patriots/
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 03:07 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Per Schefter, Mingo is being traded to New England.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/25/browns-trade-barkevious-mingo-to-patriots/

Looks like me and Bill both saw something haha
Reply/Quote
Preseason Game 3 is the dry run. This is when Dalton will have to be stretched out and put in his preseason game time to get ready for regular season. Look to see a lot more of what the coaches consider the first sting players in the first half....Have to stretch them out so they are ready for a full days work at New York....Those considered by coaches to be the bench players will see much action also.....Not a great game for the bubble players or players coaches are ready to cut....Of course there is Preseason Game 4 and you won't see the starters because can not have any key injuries that close to Jets game. That is often a scrubs game and one last shot to make the team. The NFL has considered dropping this game in the past, but it's good for the scrubs......So I'm hoping in Preseason Game 3 we show we have enough WR's and we show we have enough quality starters and second string depth. I hope we are deep at every position, we will find out in this next game...I would be lying to say I'm excited about preseason game 4. Once they play preseason game 3, I'm always ready for the start of regular season....I'll just leave the final cuts to the coaches......I just hope enough WR's step up and other positions fill out. If we are to go to THE SUPER BOWL, we need SUPER BOWL type players. ...Looking forward to Preseason Game 3.....and if we aren't thinking Super Bowl, why even play the season. We have as much of a chance to go Super Bowl as anybody......Preseason Game 3 is as close to a regular season game as there is in preseason. Players that see a lot of playing time have probably did things in the past or in practice that the coaches have pretty much decided they are on the team at this point.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 02:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Mingo was 241 at the draft, my understanding is he is in the 260's at this point. By the way Bruce Irvin has lined up at essentially a DE in sub packages at 245. Note I mentioned use him as a situational speed rusher.

/http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/04/cleveland_browns_barkevious_mi_18.html

I realize that the point is now moot, as Mingo is headed to the Pats, but check out the article anyway.  It is from April 16th.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 04:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: /http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/04/cleveland_browns_barkevious_mi_18.html

I realize that the point is now moot, as Mingo is headed to the Pats, but check out the article anyway.  It is from April 16th.

dead link, but this one had him at 260...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/29/browns-barkevious-mingo-has-gained-20-pounds-this-offseason/
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 04:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: dead link, but this one had him at 260...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/29/browns-barkevious-mingo-has-gained-20-pounds-this-offseason/

Funny, I just double checked the article, immediately before posting.  You have to go to page 3 of Barkevious Mingo articles to find it past all of the "Mingo Traded" articles that have popped up in the past couple of hours.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not a big name, by any stretch, but George Selvie remains unsigned.  He hasn't done much of anything, in terms of getting sacks, since putting up 7 in 2013, but he's still considered to be good vs. the run.

And, if Will Clarke is going to be our "rotational" guy with Michael Johnson, we're going to be in trouble.  Clarke looks to be about as slow, lumbering, and play missing as they come.  We are really going to be missing Wally Gillberry this season.

I agree with that description for Hunt, but I though Clarke has looked pretty good, and he played more early in games and against better talent.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 03:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looks like me and Bill both saw something haha

a 1 year rental?
Reply/Quote
Brandon Lafell Shocked
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:07 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well Dennard is planning on being back for the opener.     But I think we could survive a game with Kirk Jones and shaw.  (we have before)

Guenther said he couldn't imagine Dennard being out long when he first "tweaked" it. We're now 3 weeks into his recovery.

Don't hold your breath.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 07:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If Dennard is out for longer than the Bengals are letting on, Johnathan Banks would be a very solid add.

That's really the only one on that list that I think would be an upgrade over what we already have on the roster.

I'm a big fan of Johnathan Banks.  Does all the dirty work, can clean up out there, quiet assassin and a family man. Way too old to play football though.

Elam is interesting.  They cant afford another dinged up DB, but if he's on the market after week 1 (non guarantee kicks in) and checks out physically why not.  That's if neither safety beyond Smith looks any good, speaking of which they'd be some small safeties but they cover a lot of ground and can hit.  Cincy's roster is deep enough where they're going to cut some of the better players not pick them up.  If they get anyone off that list, my money is on Elam. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'd like to see us add a speed rusher for passing downs. We don't really have one on the roster right now and Mingo could do that. They said he gained 20 pounds this off season, but stayed quick.

I wouldn't sign any player who gained 20 lbs of muscle in one offseason because they are taking PEDs. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 10:40 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I wouldn't sign any player who gained 20 lbs of muscle in one offseason because they are taking PEDs. 

Even if he did it as he claimed, by eating a 6K calorie a day diet, wouldn't you think that it would be nearly impossible for all of that weight to be "good" weight?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 02:50 AM)phil413 Wrote: I'm a big fan of Johnathan Banks.  Does all the dirty work, can clean up out there, quiet assassin and a family man. Way too old to play football though.

Elam is interesting.  They cant afford another dinged up DB, but if he's on the market after week 1 (non guarantee kicks in) and checks out physically why not.  That's if neither safety beyond Smith looks any good, speaking of which they'd be some small safeties but they cover a lot of ground and can hit.  Cincy's roster is deep enough where they're going to cut some of the better players not pick them up.  If they get anyone off that list, my money is on Elam. 
Was wanting Bengals to draft Banks actually. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 10:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even if he did it as he claimed, by eating a 6K calorie a day diet, wouldn't you think that it would be nearly impossible for all of that weight to be "good" weight?

Yeah, I think it is impossible to gain 20 lbs of good weight between January and August without PEDs. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 11:41 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, I think it is impossible to gain 20 lbs of good weight between January and August without PEDs. 

That is only adding about two-thirds of a pound of muscle a week.

Sounds pretty doable with a lot of protein and pounding the weights.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is only adding about two-thirds of a pound of muscle a week.

Sounds pretty doable with a lot of protein and pounding the weights.

Maybe for a kid going through puberty hitting a growth spurt. 
Reply/Quote
oncemoreuntothejimbreech
Yeah, I think it is impossible to gain 20 lbs of good weight between January and August without PEDs. 

Not difficult at all, with good old whey protein and a good training program like GVT a "normal" guy can add 20lbs (or more)of lean muscle mass in 4 months. 7 months is a long time.
Reply/Quote