Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Big Super Bowl Takeaway that hopefully the Bengals Get
The Falcons and Bengals are comparable organizations. Some good regular seasons prior to this year and no success.

While the Falcons lost this game...

They played A LOT of young, fast guys on defense. You need speed on defense. Start playing the young guys Bengals! The Falcons had soo much teams speed and a bunch of new starters out there from last year.

You need fast LB's in the NFL to win. Get rid of Maualuga and Dansby. Play Vigil and a draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 01:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Falcons and Bengals are comparable organizations. Some good regular seasons prior to this year and no success.

While the Falcons lost this game...

They played A LOT of young, fast guys on defense. You need speed on defense. Start playing the young guys Bengals! The Falcons had soo much teams speed and a bunch of new starters out there from last year.

You need fast LB's in the NFL to win. Get rid of Maualuga and Dansby. Play Vigil and a draft pick.

Come on, you know it takes at least 3 years to learn the Bengals playbook. A rookie can't possibly come in and contribute right away. Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My main takeaway was that we should start cheating like the amoral Patriots.
Reply/Quote
What I learned is that while Marvin ball can be frustratingly conservative at least he wouldn't have been over aggressive and lost that game.

If they would've ran it and trusted Matt Bryant (who is a hell of a kicker.) they wouldn't have been in 3 and 33 or whatever it was and pushed the lead to 2 possessions. You have Freeman on the team for a reason.
Reply/Quote
Maualuga still has a year on his contract I believe ? So knowing how MB does the loyalty thing I doubt they cut him. I wish they would, he's way to slow now to cover anybody, maybe an eligible OT ? We can hope his snaps are minimal I suppose ?

But I so hope they move on from Peko, Hunt, and Dansby. None of them are even average at their positions. And I'd love to see A. Jones gone as well !

And yes we have to get a lot faster at LBer. We've been torched by TE's for years now with "moves like a fire hydrant Maualuga."
Reply/Quote
While I agree that speed is becoming more necessary, I wouldn't base that on Atlanta. I believe they were in the bottom third in points and yards allowed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 01:22 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: What I learned is that while Marvin ball can be frustratingly conservative at least he wouldn't have been over aggressive and lost that game.

If they would've ran it and trusted Matt Bryant (who is a hell of a kicker.) they wouldn't have been in 3 and 33 or whatever it was and pushed the lead to 2 possessions. You have Freeman on the team for a reason.

Marvin ball and running out the clock last year in the playoffs against the Steelers also resulted in a Hill fumble late.

I assume Quinn trusted his league MVP QB more than the RB.

Hindsight I guess.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 02:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: While I agree that speed is becoming more necessary, I wouldn't base that on Atlanta.  I believe they were in the bottom third in points and yards allowed.

Yards allowed is a skewed stat in that if you are winning teams pass more and generally have higher yards...where as if you are losing...they run more to burn clock and have lower yardage.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 02:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Marvin ball and running out the clock last year in the playoffs against the Steelers also resulted in a Hill fumble late.

Hindsight I guess.

It's not Marvin's fault Hill fumbled that is 100% on Hill. You don't think a single coach said to him "Whatever happens don't fumble." I'm sure he told himself that as well.

The strategy was sound the execution wasn't.

Saying Ryan is an MVP doesn't prove anything considering QBs are the only position that has a legitimate chance to win the award unless a different skill player plays completely lights out. It doesn't diminish how good Freeman is and how good he had played up to that point. It doesn't diminish how stupid it was to put your QB in a position to get sacked when you were in field goal range for your stud kicker.

"The RB" was averaging 6.8 yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 02:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Marvin ball and running out the clock last year in the playoffs against the Steelers also resulted in a Hill fumble late.

Hindsight I guess.

Yeah I don't think there was anything wrong with the way Marvin played it at the end.  You go up 5 and they have to drive the whole field with no TOs and maybe a minute on the clock.  That was 100% on Hill.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 02:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yards allowed is a skewed stat in that if you are winning teams pass more and generally have higher yards...where as if you are losing...they run more to burn clock and have lower yardage.

They are also on the bottom as far as points allowed.  

Reply/Quote
The Hoodie himself said he made in game adjustments starting in the 2nd quarter instead of waiting until halftime. But, Marv said halftime adjustments are media fairytales....
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 01:22 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: What I learned is that while Marvin ball can be frustratingly conservative at least he wouldn't have been over aggressive and lost that game.

Agreed. Bad coaching by Quinn there. 

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 03:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Hoodie himself said he made in game adjustments starting in the 2nd quarter instead of waiting until halftime. But, Marv said halftime adjustments are media fairytales....

You do realize that both Bill and Marvin agree that the concept of "halftime adjustments" is a joke, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do realize that both Bill and Marvin agree that the concept of "halftime adjustments" is a joke, right?

Yeah, unfortunately that's the only thing the two have in common. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do realize that both Bill and Marvin agree that the concept of "halftime adjustments" is a joke, right?

There was no great speech,” he said. “There were no guys arguing, throwing helmets or anything. We came in and made adjustments. Everyone was focused on doing what we had to do and that was it. We just made adjustments and changed up our game plan and how we were going to attack and that is what we went with.”

Martellus Bennett on halftime yesterday.  Clearly some sort of adjustments at halftime are not a joke.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 03:58 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: There was no great speech,” he said. “There were no guys arguing, throwing helmets or anything. We came in and made adjustments. Everyone was focused on doing what we had to do and that was it. We just made adjustments and changed up our game plan and how we were going to attack and that is what we went with.”

Martellus Bennett on halftime yesterday.  Clearly some sort of adjustments at halftime are not a joke.

Exactly! A team doesn't have that kind of point differential turnaround in a half without making some sort of adjustment or changes. 
Any board member that wants to put Bill and Merv in the same head coaching class is ludicrous, as well as delusional.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 04:17 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Exactly! A team doesn't have that kind of point differential turnaround in a half without making some sort of adjustment or changes. 
Any board member that wants to put Bill and Merv in the same head coaching class is ludicrous, as well as delusional.

Oh boy, you're going to make fred very angry.  Prepare yourself.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 04:17 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Exactly! A team doesn't have that kind of point differential turnaround in a half without making some sort of adjustment or changes. 

Army commanders through the ages have fallen into the trap of loving their plan to much. It was a great plan, and it's mine so it has to work right ? There is however the matter of the enemy. The plan relies on them being here and doing this and so on and so forth. Problem is that's rarely how it happens and you have to adjust your plan on the fly. "The fog of war"

Marvin's biggest problem is this in a nut shell. His arrogance shines bright in his unwillingness to adapt and change with the league. In his mind his plan is a great one and has to work, right ?

How did he say it ? "we'll just get new players if these guys don't cut it" words along those lines. Remember oh 3 or 4 seasons ago in a presser. "No one is gonna tell me how to play LBer" When he was asked about Maualuga.

Mike Brown is also determined to do it "his way" meaning cheap basically. And remaining loyal to players whom just aren't that good anymore.

This team so badly needs a 180 degree change !
Reply/Quote
Awaiting Fred's response on how Marvin and Bill are similar in any way other than title. *popcorn*
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote