Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor
(03-04-2018, 11:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell is a solid receiver. As soon as Core, Malone or any of the others up their game and can take his job, they will. Until they become as reliable as he is, they won't. Can't get rid of him until one of them is ready to replace him.

I tend to agree. I mean there’s nothing spectacular about LaFell and he does struggle to get open at times but he seems dependable and is capable of big plays.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im interested to see what he can do with a full off season under his belt, like the OP said we can't be any worse, I think his play calling will be solid just need the O-line to block this year.

At the end of the day everything comes down to our OL
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 11:32 AM)corpjet Wrote: Im interested to see what he can do with a full off season under his belt, like the OP said we can't be any worse, I think his play calling will be solid just need the O-line to block this year.

At the end of the day everything comes down to our OL

Another good point. He will be solid as long as he is aloud to do his thing without a lot of interference from Marvin. If he pulls this off, we already have Marvins replacement which fit's into MB's wheelhouse. Promote from within the family. 

Reply/Quote
I'm really excited to see what Lazor can do with this offense, which really has a lot of talent on it. I'm also excited to see what Austin does with the Defense, which also has tons of talent. Maybe the co-ordinators can overcome the HC and go further into the playoffs...
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm really excited to see what Lazor can do with this offense, which really has a lot of talent on it. I'm also excited to see what Austin does with the Defense, which also has tons of talent. Maybe the co-ordinators can overcome the HC and go further into the playoffs...

Even if the record turns out the same next year? We will have an exciting time watching how things develop. I'm more sold on Lazor than Austin, but what gives me hope with Austin is our defense has lacked discipline. If he can pull back the reigns on Dre K. and turn him from an over excited, barking Chihuahua to a defending Pitbull? I will probably be impressed with everything else he does with this D!

Reply/Quote
I’m excited too bc i feel like even tho we were one of the worst 7-9 teams I’ve ever seen offensively we still pulled out 7 wins with an offense that couldn’t move the ball. We really need a hot start to the season so we don’t fall in a whole again. It feels like other then the ravens the browns are gonna start improving and Steelers will be good untill Ben retires this division is gonna get real tough so we need to step up
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 11:30 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I tend to agree. I mean there’s nothing spectacular about LaFell and he does struggle to get open at times but he seems dependable and is capable of big plays.

I agree with this.  I also like to add that Lafell seems to have Andy's confidence, as he targets him without hesitation.  I'd like to see some of that same repoire built with Malone, Core, Ross and others.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:47 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I’m excited too bc i feel like even tho we were one of the worst 7-9 teams I’ve ever seen offensively we still pulled out 7 wins with an offense that couldn’t move the ball. We really need a hot start to the season so we don’t fall in a whole again. It feels like other then the ravens the browns are gonna start improving and Steelers will be good untill Ben retires this division is gonna get real tough so we need to step up

This division has always been the toughest in the NFL IMO. Although, it has staggered a little in the last 2-3yrs. I agree with the hot start. I'm hoping Ben becomes that guy that actually loses it or gets injured early again (Not life threatening, C'mon Man) and is not a threat. As long as he doesn't come into play again in a playoff game again like in 2015.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this.  I also like to add that Lafell seems to have Andy's confidence, as he targets him without hesitation.  I'd like to see some of that same repoire built with Malone, Core, Ross and others.

Good point. He doesnt seem to have that with these guys because their not on the field enough I guess or included heavily in practice.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 03:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this.  I also like to add that Lafell seems to have Andy's confidence, as he targets him without hesitation.  I'd like to see some of that same repoire built with Malone, Core, Ross and others.

Yep, like I've said before, when Lafell runs a route, Andy knows he is going to run the right route and be where he is supposed to be, and more than likely come down with the ball. He may not get as much YAC, but at least he gets the catch. Reliability trumps flash. When the other's become more reliable, then LaFell won't be as valuable. Until then, I do not understand the criticism he gets constantly from some on here.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the success of the 2018-19 season comes down to one man:  Bill Lazor.  He had the balls to change the offensive line blocking scheme mid-season (that could not have been easy) and showed he was right in his need for a philosophical change.

A new offensive line coach, moderate success down the stretch (it was night and day compared to the early Zampese offense, which was putrid), and some personnel changes might create the offense that has been sorely lacking the past two seasons to pair with a solid defense.

Lazor didn't accept the status quo when he was handed the reigns on offense.  He recently referred to Dalton on the NFL Network as an "ascending talent" and referenced many QBs that had their best seasons in their careers as they approached 30 years of age.  If he believes that about Dalton, he will have to dramatically improve the protection, the running game, and the weapons at receiver to help him be successful.  

It will be very interesting to see who the starting receivers are next season.  I think Ross and Core and excel at X, Boyd and Erickson in the slot, and AJ Green (with Malone backing him up) at the other side.  Lafell should not be part of the plans.  He simply doesn't take advantage of the matchups provided by Green.

I also hope we see more of Gio and Mixon on the field together and using them both as outlets for Dalton.

If Lazor can make this offense a top 10 unit, I think the defense will respond and do their part.  The defense has a few glaring needs at DT and LB, but has the pieces elsewhere to be a solid unit and I like the Austin hiring.

This is the best I can do to try and be optimistic about the upcoming season.  Address the offensive line, be aggressive, and start fast.  

Mr. Lazor, I put this on your lap.   Make me a believer.

Very true and with a whole Offseason to implement his playbook we can truly see what he has. Inheriting that shitty playbook
from Zamp sure was a major handcuff, let alone that passive blocking scheme PA was running. Lazor as you say having the balls
to change that blocking scheme up gave me a lot of hope.

Getting Pollack to boot was huge. I know i keep saying this but adding one top tier FA O-lineman for Pollack to work with to go
along with this Draft and this Offense could be one of the best with these RB's and AJ Green. Ross i still have high hopes for as
he is exactly the type of Receiver this Offense has been missing. He is a redzone threat, best one in college when he was there.

I find it highly unlikely that Lazor ignores Ross's skillset in his 2nd year. We have the X-factor in house already IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 04:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, like I've said before, when Lafell runs a route, Andy knows he is going to run the right route and be where he is supposed to be, and more than likely come down with the ball. He may not get as much YAC, but at least he gets the catch. Reliability trumps flash. When the other's become more reliable, then LaFell won't be as valuable. Until then, I do not understand the criticism he gets constantly from some on here.

I understand why some don't want us to cut Lafell cause he is solid and experienced and until another Receiver steps up we
shouldn't cut him. I just want us to free up some cap space for an O-lineman no matter what. Move on from Adam or at the
very least restructure him and MJ's contract so we can do this. These guys are overpaid for what they bring and one could
argue the same for Lafell.

Just hoping one of Malone, Core or my main hope Ross steps up and takes his spot. But we won't know any of this until TC
i am sure so i guess it is a moot point.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 11:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I keep seeing Erickson pop up in conversations, why? What has he done that even remotely deserves any praise? His return skills started to look like he was coming around and then he regressed. His receiving skills are nothing special either.

His kick returns are only as good as his blockers, but he is a reliable return man and I think he has looked good in his rare opportunities.  You don't average 15 yards per reception in the slot by being lucky, especially when our other slot guy was not doing much early. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: His kick returns are only as good as his blockers, but he is a reliable return man and I think he has looked good in his rare opportunities.  You don't average 15 yards per reception in the slot by being lucky, especially when our other slot guy was not doing much early. 

He makes bad decisions inside the 10.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: His kick returns are only as good as his blockers, but he is a reliable return man and I think he has looked good in his rare opportunities.  You don't average 15 yards per reception in the slot by being lucky, especially when our other slot guy was not doing much early. 

I like Erickson as our backup Slot receiver but i am starting to lean at having another player like Brandon Wilson returning Kicks this year.

Early prediction: Wilson becomes our stud returner of the future.

(03-04-2018, 05:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He makes bad decisions inside the 10.

Cannot do this man. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He makes bad decisions inside the 10.

May be, but you never know what Marvin is telling him to do, either.........
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Erickson as our backup Slot receiver but i am starting to lean at having another player like Brandon Wilson returning Kicks this year.

Early prediction: Wilson becomes our stud returner of the future.

I sure liked what we saw out of Wilson on special teams coverage toward the end of the year.  You know what else he played in college, right?  

Running back.  Maybe Lazor works in a package of plays with him?  
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 09:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: May be, but you never know what Marvin is telling him to do, either.........

Whatever the message, it must be a dumb one because Marvin let Brandon Tate do this over and over again.  I don't think we saw Erickson make that mistake more than a couple times and, if memory serves, both times were in games where they were getting pounded (I think the Chicago game was one) and maybe he was just trying to get a spark, because Lord knows they didn't have any that day. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Whatever the message, it must be a dumb one because Marvin let Brandon Tate do this over and over again.  I don't think we saw Erickson make that mistake more than a couple times and, if memory serves, both times were in games where they were getting pounded (I think the Chicago game was one) and maybe he was just trying to get a spark, because Lord knows they didn't have any that day. 

Another example of the lack of discipline.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lazor did not make any major personnel changes until he was forced to due to injuries.

He changed the blocking scheme.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote