Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor
(03-06-2018, 12:33 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: We all can wear ourselves out trying to wrap words around explaining this teams failures. Bring on FA and the draft, and watch how our new coaches can change the culture. Another Spring full of hope! Let Lazor lead the way.

[Image: youre-right-gif-8756292][Image: youre-right-gif-8756292][Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8756292]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't forget it at all.  I am just a little afraid that our success over 2 weeks was based on catching other teams by surprise with our new scheme.  I am afraid it may be more difficult as soon as teams have film on us and make adjustments.

I think what we changed to wasn't an exotic scheme. More of a scheme that fit us, it's not new. It all comes down to execution and we did a better job of executing it. 
Reply/Quote
Responding to upthread (I was away a bit), yes timing routes are throwing the ball to a spot instead of to a player and yes they are usually how quick passing games work. Our problem is our blocking is so poor that when we use them on longer pass plays the ball winds up having to come out too early.

On the longer plays I would rather we roll out the QB and have all receivers keep their eyes on the pocket so they can break to the ball correctly.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 10:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: True that, if I remember right.....it started against Cleveland, didn't it?

Yes. Could tell a big difference in the running game starting against the Browns.

There were many on here that said it was just the Browns no need to get our hopes up but there was a big difference from
there on out. We ran well on the Steelers too than Mixon got hurt and Gio ran well for the rest of the season even though the
team just gave up against the Bears and Vikings it seemed.

Then as always when it really didn't matter we beat 2 good teams and knocked them out of the Playoffs.

Happens a lot under Marv.

(03-06-2018, 11:33 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yeah but.....it ended kinda quickly too iirc. Lost to the Steelers. Then the Bears kicked our butts. THEN the Vikings kicked our butts. The last 2 games did prove what focus and execution can do for a team. Or was that just magic? Whatever/whoever instilled that mindset is what needs to prevail for '18 and beyond. Was it Lazor? Did the players just decide to stop screwing around, and play solid NFL football? Those last two games raised as many questions as they did to provide answers. 

I want to believe Lazor is the answer. And Pollack. And Austin. All I have to do is wait and see.

(03-06-2018, 11:45 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I would guess it was because there was no pressure. What did they have to lose? Already out of the playoffs. Already got your butts smoked a few times as you noted. They were playing for pride (and next years auditions) so there's wasn't a ton of pressure to win those last few games. People were actually hoping for it, and that probably fed into a bit too. One thing i've noticed with this team over the years with marv & company is they have a hard time rising when the pressure is high (prime-time, playoffs). I really hope he's able to find a way to get his guys to play more consistently next year.

Yep, win games when it doesn't matter anymore, Merv's teams have always done this.

(03-06-2018, 12:33 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: We all can wear ourselves out trying to wrap words around explaining this teams failures. Bring on FA and the draft, and watch how our new coaches can change the culture. Another Spring full of hope! Let Lazor lead the way.

Thats right brother.

Still got Merv, but adding Lazor, Pollack, Van Pelt and Austin has me excited. No more PA for me to ***** about. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 11:33 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yeah but.....it ended kinda quickly too iirc. Lost to the Steelers. Then the Bears kicked our butts. THEN the Vikings kicked our butts. The last 2 games did prove what focus and execution can do for a team. Or was that just magic? Whatever/whoever instilled that mindset is what needs to prevail for '18 and beyond. Was it Lazor? Did the players just decide to stop screwing around, and play solid NFL football? Those last two games raised as many questions as they did to provide answers. 

I want to believe Lazor is the answer. And Pollack. And Austin. All I have to do is wait and see.

Sadly, I think it was more a function of the Lions and Ravens expecting the enigmatic Bengals to roll over and die.  That is not a good way to come in to a football game. They didn't play great against either team, but played "better".  

That is why I have put so much on Lazor this next year.  If the offense comes out and struggles to score any points, the defense will fold and the team will just meander along.  If the offense comes out firing, it could get the whole team producing and off to a quick start.  Sorry, Mr. Lazor, but you got the turd offensive line coach out and moved around some pieces.  Get more explosive WRs out there and maybe you will have something with the newfound rushing attack. 

If you are able to pull it off and even win a playoff game or two, you will be my vote for the next HC....not that it counts.   
Reply/Quote