Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor Stats
(09-19-2017, 06:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It's all doom and gloom around here anymore (for good reason). I thought I'd give some in depth stats on Lazor throughout his coaching career.

Bill Lazor has been offensive coordinator for 2 NFL teams prior to this season.

He coached for 2 years with the Buffalo Bills. His first season, the team ranked 27th in points with 27 total touchdowns. They threw 20 INTs and lost 13 fumbles.
However, his 2nd season was much more improved. The team ranked 11th in points with 41 total touchdowns. They threw 15 INTs and lost 14 fumbles.
Throughout those two seasons, his offense scored 24 or more points in 14 games. 8 of those games came in his 2nd season.

When he was a coach for the Dolphins, he coached for almost 2 season. His first season, the team ranked 11th in points with 39 total touchdowns. They threw 12 INTs and lost 12 fumbles.
His 2nd season up until he got fired (11 games), they scored 26 total touchdowns. They threw 11 INTs and lost 7 fumbles.
Throughout two seasons, his offense scored 24 or more points in 11 games. 9 of those games came in his first season.

When offensive coordinator, his team has scored 24 or more points in 25 games out of 59 games.

Bill Lazor specializes in the passing game. His passing offense ranked 12th, 5th, and 17th in passing yards. (Not going to do all the math for 11 games his final year).
His passing offense ranked tied for 17th, 11th, 14th in passing touchdowns.

But wait, he's done more than that.

When he was the Eagles QB coach in 2013, Nick Foles had a career year throwing for 27 TDs and 2 INTs. The passing offense had 32 total touchdowns compared to 9 INTs. They ranked 9th in passing yards and tied for 5th with TDs.
He was the QB coach for the Seahawks in 2008-09. He had higher success with Seneca Wallace, but Hasselbeck was on the decline majorly, plus due to injuries Charlie Frye started games as well.
He had mixed results while coaching for the Washington Redskins. As offensive assistant, his first year they ranked 31st in scoring, but the next they jumped up to 13th. He then moved to QB coach; where, again, there were struggles in his first year, but then improvement came.

Bill Lazor seems to have improved and had more consistency lately rather than when he first started off, so there is some positivity in this move. It may not save the season, but hopefully it gives us something to look forward to with the offense rather than what we've dealt with the last 2 games.
Thanks for providing some optimism - however - looking at his history, its always the second year and beyond where the improvement happens.  This team always is better next year! ugh!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:59 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think it's too much to expect Lazor to come in and win at Lambeau after his first week.  But if we score some TDs and make some smart decisions I'll be happy.

If we can get an opening drive TD, I fully expect our offense to just blow up this week. The confidence they would get from that could make them unstoppable. The problem is they'll probably expect TOO and a simple turnover could lead to that same confidence being completely shattered (sort of the old "here we go again" mentality from the 90s).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 10:20 AM)BengalD Wrote: Thanks for providing some optimism - however - looking at his history, its always the second year and beyond where the improvement happens.  This team always is better next year! ugh!

Lazor's stats actually give me less hope. He's led mediocre offenses at every stop. It doesn't strike me as a guy that will be able to lead a top unit with a poor offensive line.

I do think that simplifying the offense should help a lot.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 10:53 AM)PhilHos Wrote: If we can get an opening drive TD, I fully expect our offense to just blow up this week. The confidence they would get from that could make them unstoppable. The problem is they'll probably expect TOO and a simple turnover could lead to that same confidence being completely shattered (sort of the old "here we go again" mentality from the 90s).

I don't have any actual stats on this to back it up, but I've noticed a trend over the years.  When Andy gets a 1st drive TD, weather from rushing attack or by passing, he seems to have a pretty good game.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A couple of other notes for Lazor, while he was listed as the QB coach in Philly, he worked with Chip Kelly to create the offensive play call sheets. He was basically co-coordinator. He just didn't have the title.

He is a "passing" style coach, but he was doomed in Miami because he wanted to run more than they did. Joe Philbin wanted to air the ball out all over the place. I had read that he overruled some run calls because he felt like the passing game would save them.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:59 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think it's too much to expect Lazor to come in and win at Lambeau after his first week.  But if we score some TDs and make some smart decisions I'll be happy.

As long as we look like a competent, able to move the ball offense I will be happy, we need to put up a min of 17 points on offense this week and rely on special teams for another, good guys win 24-21

Yes
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:
If this offense scores 24 points (or more) they will win a lot of games

Fun fact, Andy Dalton is 36-1-2 when the offense scores 25+ points.

He's 39-3-2 when the offense scores 24+ points.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 10:20 AM)BengalD Wrote: Thanks for providing some optimism - however - looking at his history, its always the second year and beyond where the improvement happens.  This team always is better next year! ugh!

Yep. They improve the 2nd year usually under Lazor.

And same can be said with the offense. 2012 offense was much better than 2011 offense. And then it got better in 2013.

We get Hue, and 2015 offense was way better than 2014.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Lazor try to move the ball vertically as opposed to horizontally. I would like to see him try to get Dalton and a RB, any RB into a rhythm. I understand that with this joke of an OLine that those things could prove difficult, settling on just 1 main RB would be a step in the right direction. Also, lets try to target AJ Green throughout the entire game. He's the best offensive weapon we have, but there are plenty of times we just get away from him. I'm sure some of that falls on Dalton, but remember the suddenly well thought of Gruden gameplanned to intentionally not throw to Green in a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 06:28 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I would like to see Lazor try to move the ball vertically as opposed to horizontally. I would like to see him try to get Dalton and a RB, any RB into a rhythm. I understand that with this joke of an OLine that those things could prove difficult, settling on just 1 main RB would be a step in the right direction. Also, lets try to target AJ Green throughout the entire game. He's the best offensive weapon we have, but there are plenty of times we just get away from him. I'm sure some of that falls on Dalton, but remember the suddenly well thought of Gruden gameplanned to intentionally not throw to Green in a playoff game.

Yep. Use the WR's to start the running game. It's what we'll have to do.

We also need to burn teams when they blitz us. With AJ Green...if he's single covered he's open.
Reply/Quote
I'm just going to call him Blazor.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:59 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think it's too much to expect Lazor to come in and win at Lambeau after his first week. But if we score some TDs and make some smart decisions I'll be happy.

I don't. I get what you mean but these guys coaches/players are getting paid too much money to settle for just seeing improvements. Teams have issues every year and they overcome them. I expect to see this team win. I'm tired of this team getting by on potential with hopes of winning 1 damn playoff game. This is as good a time as ever to beat GB. They are having issues of their own, so with both teams coming into this game with their own issues I would prefer to see our team overcome theirs.
Reply/Quote
Offensive juggernaut here we come.  We'll score 75 TDs between Sunday and the end of the season with zero INTs and zero fumbles and the defense will never give up a single point, not even a field goal. 
Andy will be crowned league mvp and be on every Wheaties box for the rest of his life..even old Wheaties boxes will all be recalled to have Andy's goofy hairdo plastered on every cereal box, even Captain Crunch! 

Uhmm.. Too much? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I don't. I get what you mean but these guys coaches/players are getting paid too much money to settle for just seeing improvements. Teams have issues every year and they overcome them. I expect to see this team win. I'm tired of this team getting by on potential with hopes of winning 1 damn playoff game. This is as good a time as ever to beat GB. They are having issues of their own, so with both teams coming into this game with their own issues I would prefer to see our team overcome theirs.

Welcome back to the living.. Just to recap the past several decades they've sucked fairly consistently..
I just thought you should be informed..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:13 AM)grampahol Wrote: Welcome back to the living.. Just to recap the past several decades they've sucked fairly consistently..
I just thought you should be informed..

Yea I know, just tired of this team. They suck so bad and when you think they can't possibly suck any worse they find a way. I think I'm just done with them. I'm done with the excuses why we shouldn't expect a single freakin TD much less a win. This team has been historically bad and now I shouldn't expect much improvement because a shity coach left. They have coaches that have been on this staff for 1/4 of a damn century but I shouldnt expect much improvement cause 1 guy is gone. Not sure what I was thinking expecting a professional sports team to actually win a game. This franchise is just a f@&kin joke.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 12:01 AM)Whatever Wrote: Gruden had fairly simplified terminology, from what I remember.  That's a big reason he was hired, because he had to install the offense during the lockout season with a rookie QB.  Brat's terminology was pretty complicated, iirc.

This is correct. Gruden had a simple system but made it even more simplified that first year with the lockout. Big reason why cousins and Goff have done well.

Hue kept it simple as well. Only difference was that Hue ran the ball more and he used formations and shifts to simplify the reads.
Reply/Quote
Thanks Wolf. Cool

Really love this move and i know hindsight is 20/20 but i would of hired Lazor over Zampese in the first place with this
experience. Too bad we are already down 2 games before we get to see him, he has a steep hill to climb right off the
bat but i am just happy the FO didn't wait too long in firing Zamp. Haven't seen this before which is a breath of fresh
air honestly.

I expect the O-line and Offense as a whole to get much better, cannot get any worse but Lazor was a good grab all by
himself and loved getting him here as the QB coach. Dalton played very good last year all things considered, i expect
him getting back to this play and probably even better as the year goes on under Lazor.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I don't. I get what you mean but these guys coaches/players are getting paid too much money to settle for just seeing improvements. Teams have issues every year and they overcome them. I expect to see this team win. I'm tired of this team getting by on potential with hopes of winning 1 damn playoff game. This is as good a time as ever to beat GB. They are having issues of their own, so with both teams coming into this game with their own issues I would prefer to see our team overcome theirs.

Yeah, and the Packers are really beat up.

I am not expecting a win as i picked the Packers but i would not be surprised by one. We have had the Packers number
for a long time and with how banged up they are and how much better our Defense is than the Falcons i could see us
pulling this one out. Just have to score TD's.

That Secondary of the Pack is all kind of decimated and Mike Daniels is out too.

Last i heard they will also be without both their starting Tackles. Dunlap, Willis and Lawson should feast off the edge.

But i still picked the Packers just cause of how bad our Offense has been playing and it is Aaron Rodgers and they are
coming off a tough loss, never know though.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 06:28 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I would like to see Lazor try to move the ball vertically as opposed to horizontally. I would like to see him try to get Dalton and a RB, any RB into a rhythm. I understand that with this joke of an OLine that those things could prove difficult, settling on just 1 main RB would be a step in the right direction. Also, lets try to target AJ Green throughout the entire game. He's the best offensive weapon we have, but there are plenty of times we just get away from him. I'm sure some of that falls on Dalton, but remember the suddenly well thought of Gruden gameplanned to intentionally not throw to Green in a playoff game.

I think they should be starting Mixon. It's easy to see his potential.  Bernard should be the backup and they should see what they can get for Hill.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2017, 10:53 AM)PhilHos Wrote: If we can get an opening drive TD, I fully expect our offense to just blow up this week. The confidence they would get from that could make them unstoppable. The problem is they'll probably expect TOO and a simple turnover could lead to that same confidence being completely shattered (sort of the old "here we go again" mentality from the 90s).

i think it would blow up if we commit to Mixon as our RB.  
Reply/Quote