Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passerby kills Motorist
....who was assaulting a LEO:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/15/passerby-shoots-kills-motorist-assaulting-deputy-after-traffic-stop.html

Quote:A driver who attacked a Florida sheriff's deputy Monday morning was shot and killed by a bystander who warned him to stop beating the officer, according to a report.

The incident began at around 9:30 a.m. when the Lee County deputy tried to make a traffic stop on Interstate 75 in Estero. Instead of complying, witnesses said the driver took off, reaching speeds of more than 100 miles per hour.

The deputy chased the suspect onto an exit ramp, where a witness said the suspect got out of his car and assaulted his pursuer.

Shanta Holditch told WZVN that the suspect pulled the deputy out of his car and "just kept beating him and beating him ... throwing him to the ground and punching him in all different directions."

At that point, WINK reported, another driver got out of his car and ran to the scene. He told the suspect that he'd shoot him if he didn't stop beating the deputy.

"[He] refused to get off the officer and the officer kept yelling, 'shoot him, shoot him, shoot him,' Holditch said.

When the suspect didn't stop his attack, the third man shot him three times. The deputy was not hit. The suspect later died.

What are our thoughts on this?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I'm glad the deputy survived and someone intervened to help. I'm not a fan of anyone getting killed.
I had mixed reactions until the cop told him to shoot the guy.

Seems he did every thing right. 'Murica.
--------------------------------------------------------

Clicking on the link answered my one question, was the man beating the deputy armed? I take a somewhat extreme stance on shootings, feeling that every less-than-lethal option should be exhausted before going there, even as a civilian. But the suspect was armed according to the article.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-15-2016, 07:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Clicking on the link answered my one question, was the man beating the deputy armed? I take a somewhat extreme stance on shootings, feeling that every less-than-lethal option should be exhausted before going there, even as a civilian. But the suspect was armed according to the article.
I read the part about the assaulter being armed; however, it almost read as an afterthought. I would like to think I could stop the guy from assaulting the officer without having to shoot him, but once it is determined that dude is armed, using anything less than lethal force is putting yourself in jeopardy.  

dat dere was a good ol' Trump boy.
My thought is that it is sad that police are terrified of protecting themselves now because regardless of how in the right they are, protests/riots will happen, and they will be put in national spotlight as a target for hate.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(11-15-2016, 11:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My thought is that it is sad that police are terrified of protecting themselves now because regardless of how in the right they are, protests/riots will happen, and they will be put in national spotlight as a target for hate.

It is a sad state of affairs. Carry your ass to Germany and don't obey the Polizei and see what happens. It is similar with Law Enforcement throughout the world. But in this country we have somehow come up with the notion that obeying Law Enforcement Officers is optional

I guess my issue would be over shooting the suspect 3 times.
I don't know if the full report is available, so I don't know if the suspect advanced on the shooter.
Three shots could be viewed as excessive force and a civil case may ensue.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(11-16-2016, 01:05 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I guess my issue would be over shooting the suspect 3 times.
I don't know if the full report is available, so I don't know if the suspect advanced on the shooter.
Three shots could be viewed as excessive force and a civil case may ensue.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Deadly force was warranted. Three won't be considered excessive at all, maybe if it was a whole clip. You can't shoot one time, wait to see if you hit him then wait to see if that made him change his mind. When you decide to shoot you have decided to kill, if they survive that is good luck on their part.
(11-16-2016, 01:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Deadly force was warranted. Three won't be considered excessive at all, maybe if it was a whole clip. You can't shoot one time, wait to see if you hit him then wait to see if that made him change his mind. When you decide to shoot you have decided to kill, if they survive that is good luck on their part.

I civilian could easily empty an entire magazine if deadly force is found to be warranted, and any time the use of a firearm is warranted, then it is. The situation you are in an the adrenaline that is fueling you can cause you to empty a magazine and there not be any problems.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
But the really important thing here is....

What are their races? Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(11-16-2016, 01:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Deadly force was warranted. Three won't be considered excessive at all, maybe if it was a whole clip. You can't shoot one time, wait to see if you hit him then wait to see if that made him change his mind. When you decide to shoot you have decided to kill, if they survive that is good luck on their part.

Hell...the Mozambique drill is a double-tap, with a pause to check for advancement, then headshot.

Regardless, I was attempting to nitpick the situation, to consider opposing views.
Sorry.....woo...cowboy up !
Another turd off of the streets !
Better ?

But more seriously....
Maybe it was a small caliber pistol, with ball ammo.
Maybe 3 shots were necessary ?
Ball ammo would be irresponsible though and deserve a punch to the face.
(11-16-2016, 04:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I civilian could easily empty an entire magazine if deadly force is found to be warranted, and any time the use of a firearm is warranted, then it is. The situation you are in an the adrenaline that is fueling you can cause you to empty a magazine and there not be any problems.

I agree but, and this is the rub, in a civil court a jury could easily find it was too many and excessive. You will always see in a police shooting where they attempt to charge an officer they will bring up the amount of shots. The idea is it plays to the jury's emotions and their ignorance to the fact that they don't have to stop firing.
(11-16-2016, 07:22 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: But the really important thing here is....

What are their races?  Mellow

Considering this is the only place I've heard this story, I'm guessing they were all the white guys.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(11-17-2016, 11:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Considering this is the only place I've heard this story, I'm guessing they were all the white guys.

Actually the LEO is White and the attacker is black (although, I don't know their social construct, so I'm just guessing at the races). The unknown is the passerby.

I think a big reason BLM, ect.., is not spotlighting this incident is because is shows what can happen if an Officer is reluctant to use lethal force in such a situation. The LEo could have been killed if not for the passerby with a concealed weapon (another aspect that does not support the liberal agenda).