Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billings Will Need Time.
(05-02-2016, 11:46 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im thinking youre wrong, and we will see Billings plenty this year. For a player like Billings its pretty simple. You tell the young man, once the ball is snapped you push that center or guard back right into the quarterbacks lap.

Ya except that's not true at all. If he is playing on run downs he has to push lineman certain directions to create room for LB's. It's not as simple as push the guy backwards. Why do you think Peko has lasted so long on our roster? He is a very intelligent player who has very specific assignments each play. His job isn't to just push lineman backwards every play.

Our run packages are fairly complex, and our DT's do a lot of dirty work, so I still think he has a lot of work to do. Throwing him too early will be a liability to the run D even with all of his potential.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:46 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Most colleges roll without a playbook.  It also matters how the offense/defense is taught.

This is the first time ive heard of this no playbook stuff. How do they function?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya except that's not true at all. If he is playing on run downs he has to push lineman certain directions to create room for LB's. It's not as simple as push the guy backwards. Why do you think Peko has lasted so long on our roster? He is a very intelligent player who has very specific assignments each play. His job isn't to just push lineman backwards every play.

Our run packages are fairly complex, and our DT's do a lot of dirty work, so I still think he has a lot of work to do. Throwing him too early will be a liability to the run D even with all of his potential.

The kid's got a chip on his shoulder he says will be there the rest of his life.  They will not be able to keep him off the field.  This will be a man on a mission.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:43 PM)McC Wrote: The kid's got a chip on his shoulder he says will be there the rest of his life.  They will not be able to keep him off the field.  This will be a man on a mission.

I just feel that's how everyone felt about Dawson last year. Guy was going to be a God among men according to the message boards. I think both guys will be held back by X's and O's because the coaches want to have full trust in the players out there.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 03:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I just feel that's how everyone felt about Dawson last year. Guy was going to be a God among men according to the message boards. I think both guys will be held back by X's and O's because the coaches want to have full trust in the players out there.

Little bit different as the learning curve for a LB is a lot tougher. Especially because we like ours to know every position.
Reply/Quote
The best/realistic expectations would be him taking over Pat Sims snaps this year. The bottom line, Billings is Peko's replacement and the coaches like the bring rookies along slowly.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:34 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think this is the reason that Billings fell.

When asked "How does Baylor’s defensive style translate to the NFL?"

“It transfers well. I learned more about offense than I thought I’d learn from anyone. It’s all about how you see the players. We don’t have many plans, a huddle or even a playbook, so you have to really rely on your knowledge.”

It will take a while for this young guy to get in here and fully understand our playbook. He is only 20, so I don't think the coaches will have any qualms about letting him marinade on the bench for a year.

It is not like he is a LB, S or CB. Those are the positions that take time to develop.

Billings will be too good to keep on the bench, mark my words. This guy is dominant at stopping the run and has a
better pass rush than all of our DT's besides Geno. I would be very surprised if he does not start by mid season.

Peko, Thompson and Sims are one trick ponys, Billings is not. Also like Deshaun Williams and i really am liking the
acquisition of Burney as our DL coach. It will not be like it was with Hayes i am pretty sure.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:42 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I think his pass rushing ability will take time to develop. He can stuff the run well and I would think his instincts there will help him progress. I'm hoping that working with Geno will help him improve his pass rushing ability.

He already has good pass rushing ability. He had 75 QB pressures the last two years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Folks might be surprised with Billings. If he can push the pocket deep with Geno it could be easy pickings with those two beasts eating up the middle which will make sacks for Dunlap and MJ pile up really fast..
In college a lot of tackles are THE man, but when you have two of the strongest guys in the league playing side by side there's just not a lot of reasons to have him sitting on the bench while older players play slower.
I can easily see MJ, Atkins, Billings and Dunlap the majority of the snaps fairly quickly..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is not like he is a LB, S or CB. Those are the positions that take time to develop.

Billings will be too good to keep on the bench, mark my words. This guy is dominant at stopping the run and has a
better pass rush than all of our DT's besides Geno. I would be very surprised if he does not start by mid season.

Peko, Thompson and Sims are one trick ponys, Billings is not. Also like Deshaun Williams and i really am liking the
acquisition of Burney as our DL coach. It will not be like it was with Hayes i am pretty sure.

As great as Billings' potential is, he is still a human being that has a few flaws in his game.  They will need to be developed out of him, but in time, I feel like he could be great.

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079903/andrew-billings

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This bull ox is going to play this year, and wreck the field. Not only that, but being able to share in more rotations will allow Peko some breather's, which will enliven his game as well. Peko, Geno, Billings, Sims rotating on the inside, Johnson, Dunlap, Hunt and Clarke rotating on the outside...feel sorry for some o linemen......
Reply/Quote
For examples sake, here are the stats from the rookie season of another 4th round DT we all know so well.

http://www.nfl.com/player/genoatkins/496762/gamelogs?season=2010

I don't even remember much of 2010, so it's hard for me to remember what the expectations were for Geno and how he actually looked that year. Does anyone remember? Was he just taking rotational snaps at the time? Who were the DT's ahead of him other than Peko? 2010 is locked away in my unconscious mind.
Reply/Quote
Billings is a 1 technique. His job really isn't to put up a bunch of stats. It's to be an anchor and take on two blockers freeing others to make a play, if he can push the pocket back on passing plays while doing so it's an added bonus.. Do 1 techniques in 4-3's get stats sometimes? Sure, but it's not their main job. The best indicator of his success this year will be the defensive pass rushing and run stopping stats when he is on the field versus when he is off.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: Billings is a 1 technique. His job really isn't to put up a bunch of stats. It's to be an anchor and take on two blockers freeing others to make a play, if he can push the pocket back on passing plays while doing so it's an added bonus.. Do 1 techniques in 4-3's get stats sometimes? Sure, but it's not their main job. The best indicator of his success this year will be the defensive pass rushing and run stopping stats when he is on the field versus when he is off.

I only created this thread because I believe there are 2 DT's ahead of him at his specific position and even with a fully functional rotation don't see him getting into actual games as fast as people on here would like him to. Still think he is a stud and is going to be great, but I don't think he is going to come in and destroy the league like some on here make it sound. Just think the high expectations will be snubbed by the coaching staff early on. jmo
Reply/Quote
We'll see once the pads go on. If Billings is blowing up the O line he'll be in there a lot this season. If not he won't. It ain't rocket science.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:04 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: For examples sake, here are the stats from the rookie season of another 4th round DT we all know so well.

I don't even remember much of 2010, so it's hard for me to remember what the expectations were for Geno and how he actually looked that year. Does anyone remember? Was he just taking rotational snaps at the time? Who were the DT's ahead of him other than Peko? 2010 is locked away in my unconscious mind.

Don't recall his stats that year, but there was a LOT of buzz about him from the start and they still took a lot of time to work him into the rotation. But his initial impact was his quickness. I hope they don't take as much te with Billings. They waste too much time waiting for them to earn their stripes on the practice field. But Marvin was talking about him being a brick wall yesterday. Maybe he'll break the pattern this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:34 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think this is the reason that Billings fell.

When asked "How does Baylor’s defensive style translate to the NFL?"

“It transfers well. I learned more about offense than I thought I’d learn from anyone. It’s all about how you see the players. We don’t have many plans, a huddle or even a playbook, so you have to really rely on your knowledge.”

It will take a while for this young guy to get in here and fully understand our playbook. He is only 20, so I don't think the coaches will have any qualms about letting him marinade on the bench for a year.

To replace Pat Sims, who appeared in only 8 games and had 12 total tackles (4 solo), I'm not so sure it's going to take all that long to get Billings into the rotation.

Then, with Thompson likely to start the season the Pup list, we really could see him game 1 on short yardage and goal line plays.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:04 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: For examples sake, here are the stats from the rookie season of another 4th round DT we all know so well.

I'm pretty sure he was behind Tank Johnson, part of a rotation.  The following year Tank went to Zim and told him that Geno needed to be the starter.
Reply/Quote

I remember people calling him a bust. There were stories from Hobson and elsewhere about how the coaches were high on him, but you didn't see it until 2011 and 2012.

People just to conclusions. I mean, the same people said Otis Hudson (Guard) wasn't going to do anything for us, and they were actually right. I think the coaches liked him too, so there's no surefire way to tell. 

Back to Billings though, yeah he has some time. No need to rush - rotate him in some this year behind Peko and then next year he can be our "starter" though there will still be a lot of rotation with Brandon Thompson. If everyone is healthy then Sims likely won't make the 53 (IMO) unless we cut a DE instead (and Hardison Williams becomes a Gilberry type DE who plays some DT). 

Reply/Quote
Billings = Jason Shirley
Reply/Quote