Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bills/Bengals will NOT be resumed this week.
(01-03-2023, 08:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: There have been 7 Super Bowls played with only one week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Those were because of special circumstances. This seems to fit that category. Not playing the game would put an asterisk more on the season than shorting the break to one week.

Most recently 2001.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: There have been 7 Super Bowls played with only one week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Those were because of special circumstances. This seems to fit that category. Not playing the game would put an asterisk more on the season than shorting the break to one week.

I know there have been several one week between AFC/NFC and Super Bowl's including one including the Bengals/49ers.

The comment I made was in response to that the NFL would make money if they pushed the playoffs a week.
I responded that they would need to push the Super Bowl a week and I don't think they can at this point because of too many obligations. 
Thus, a loss of one week between AFC/NFC Championship and the Super Bowl in revenue is valid both for the league and the host city.

The host city would sue the NFL for lost revenue. They bid and signed a contract with the NFL for a two-week bash in their city. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will be the only team to get screwed out of this.. Will have to play at both KC and Buffalo if they advance in the playoffs. The 3 seed is pretty much a gurantee now.. Anyone watching that game last night knows what was gonna happen. The Bengals offense was not gonna be stopped..
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:28 PM)Tony Wrote: The Bengals will be the only team to get screwed out of this.. Will have to play at both KC and Buffalo if they advance in the playoffs. The 3 seed is pretty much a gurantee now.. Anyone watching that game last night knows what was gonna happen. The Bengals offense was not gonna be stopped..

It didn't look a whole lot like Buffalos offense was going to be stopped either. No one can say how that game would have turned out other than to say it would be high scoring. I think we would have won, but it is not certain by any means
Reply/Quote
And going into Arrowhead and stompimg them again in front of their fans would be sweet in and of itself.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It didn't look a whole lot like Buffalos offense was going to be stopped either. No one can say how that game would have turned out other than to say it would be high scoring. I think we would have won, but it is not certain by any means

They stopped then on there first drive. Allen hurt ankle. and Lou always gets better as the game goes. They were gonna blow Buffalo out... You gotta wonder sometimes if this team really is cursed at this point..
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:28 PM)Tony Wrote: The Bengals will be the only team to get screwed out of this.. Will have to play at both KC and Buffalo if they advance in the playoffs. The 3 seed is pretty much a gurantee now.. Anyone watching that game last night knows what was gonna happen. The Bengals offense was not gonna be stopped..

Things just wouldn't be right without an absolutely negative proclamation by Tony.   Let's hope you are wrong again... although you are probably right this time, I see only ONE solution that wouldn't hurt us.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:35 PM)Tony Wrote: They stopped then on there first drive. Allen hurt ankle. and Lou always gets better as the game goes. They were gonna blow Buffalo out... You gotta wonder sometimes if this team really is cursed at this point..

I saw all I needed to see with the small amount of time they played. I honestly think we are the best team in the nfl, by a long shot. If we played every team 3 times, we would win 2 or 3 against every team. I’ve never had this feeling/thought in my life. Bring on the playoffs. We’ll go to Buffalo, Kansas City, Idaho. We’re gonna win.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:40 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I saw all I needed to see with the small amount of time they played. I honestly think we are the best team in the nfl, by a long shot. If we played every team 3 times, we would win 2 or 3 against every team. I’ve never had this feeling/thought in my life. Bring on the playoffs. We’ll go to Buffalo, Kansas City, Idaho. We’re gonna win.

I think so too.. This offense is rolling...
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Things just wouldn't be right without an absolutely negative proclamation by Tony.   Let's hope you are wrong again... although you are probably right this time, I see only ONE solution that wouldn't hurt us.

I mean it would be historical to take Allen and Mahomes out in there own stadiums. Silver lining. I just feel like the Bengals are gonna get seeding screw job and they are gonna do everything they can to get Buffalo a chip now, as if they weren't already on that path. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: Uncertainty is never a good thing. If I'm the Ravens, do I rest players to prepare for the playoffs the next week, or do I believe there is still a shot for the division and 3 seed and go all out? If KC loses, does Buffalo rest players in their game or do they think they might still have to play the Bengals and thus could lose their number 1 seed? Do the Bengals go all out to win or rest their players? Do playoff teams that might rest their players figure the playoffs might be moved back a week then decide to not rest their players, since they will have two weeks between games?

Not making a decision is a cop-out. It's a violent sport and adding uncertainty to whether or not a team should rest its stars, not knowing if the game is meaningful or not, is not showing leadership. It's leaders avoiding their responsibility.
I would rather they take a day or 2 to come up with a rational decision that is fair to all teams involved in the playoffs. We don't need some knee jerk reaction.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:47 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I would rather they take a day or 2 to come up with a rational decision that is fair to all teams involved in the playoffs. We don't need some knee jerk reaction.

What solution could possibly be fair to all teams?  I don't think one exists?

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:50 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What solution could possibly be fair to all teams?  I don't think one exists?

You could be right. Every avenue has got to be explored though. One thing I do know, Baltimore has an ass whoop'n coming!
Reply/Quote
Just spitballing here. I wonder if they would consider moving the NE/Bills and Bal/Cin to Saturday. That way by days end we would have a better idea where things stand. If they feel the Bills/Cin game needs to resume they could maybe do that Wednesday. Now i say that because the wildcard schedule has 2 games that Saturday, 3 on Sunday, and 1 on Monday. If the resumed game is for #1 then the winner gets the bye and the other team should be scheduled for the Monday WC game. If KC holds on to #1 and both Bills and Bengals would play in WC games they could move one of the Sunday games to Monday so both could play Monday and get the minimum 4 day cushion between games. It would be 3 games in 10 days but it's the only somewhat logical solution that came to mind.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:50 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What solution could possibly be fair to all teams?  I don't think one exists?

Right, there isn't one.  So the problem is avoiding the appearance of selecting an unfair solution that favors one team over another for the NFL's benefit.   That's why the NFL should declare prior to the games this week whether the plan to finish the Bengals/Bills game.  If they plan to "wait and see" they should declare in advance the scenarios where they would or wouldn't finish the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:04 AM)Roland Wrote: Right, there isn't one.  So the problem is avoiding the appearance of selecting an unfair solution that favors one team over another for the NFL's benefit.   That's why the NFL should declare prior to the games this week whether the plan to finish the Bengals/Bills game.  If they plan to "wait and see" they should declare in advance the scenarios where they would or wouldn't finish the game.

There is a new consideration on the table:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-New-NFL-solution-for-Bills-Bengals-game-and?pid=1304854#pid1304854

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:35 PM)Tony Wrote: They stopped then on there first drive. Allen hurt ankle. and Lou always gets better as the game goes. They were gonna blow Buffalo out... You gotta wonder sometimes if this team really is cursed at this point..

Except that they didn't stop them on their first drive, Allen took them right down the field. On the last pass of that drive the receiver, who was open, dropped the pass. Had he secured it, he had a walk-in score from inside the 10. So Buffalo kicked the 3. And yes, Lou gets better as the game goes on, but if you've watched much Buffalo football they do the same on offense. Look, I'm not saying the Bengals would have lost, I think they would have won in a shoot out. But, if you think that game was decided by the way the first 7 minutes played out, you really haven't watched much football.
Reply/Quote