Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bills board is discussing the actual game
We should as well.  Hopes and prayers for the young man, we all wish him well.

As to the game, the offense came out on fire.  Burrow had a great pocket and the oline provided holes for Mixon.  We definitely appeared to be the faster, tougher team in the 1st Qtr.  The Bills drove the field but seemed to labor for every yard.  We know how that feels like.

The initial effort was tad surprising to me event though I thought we would win the game.  We certainly looked like the best team in the league, at least for 2 drives.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We should as well.  Hopes and prayers for the young man, we all wish him well.

As to the game, the offense came out on fire.  Burrow had a great pocket and the oline provided holes for Mixon.  We definitely appeared to be the faster, tougher team in the 1st Qtr.  The Bills drove the field but seemed to labor for every yard.  We know how that feels like.

The initial effort was tad surprising to me event though I thought we would win the game.  We certainly looked like the best team in the league, at least for 2 drives.

It felt like the beginning of the Chiefs. We were likely going to get another score on that 2nd drive the way we were moving. Blocking was looking fantastic both run and pass. They looked crisp and ready. Defense bowed up at the end of the Bills first drive.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We should as well.  Hopes and prayers for the young man, we all wish him well.

I thought our defense played pretty poorly the first drive. Bills were getting whatever they wanted with the run game and we got pretty lucky with the Beasley drop or it's a 1st and maybe more. Diggs was wide open (for the NFL) on both his catches. 

That said I think the defense would have settled in and started stopping the run a lot more. We seemed like we were getting decent pressure on Allen and he looked uncomfortable. 

The offense looked like the 1st half of the Patriots game. Not sure anything negative can be said about how they were playing. Hurst needs to slow down a bit with the hurdling. Seems he does it at some point every game.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:07 PM)TheFan Wrote: I thought our defense played pretty poorly the first drive. Bills were getting whatever they wanted with the run game and we got pretty lucky with the Beasley drop or it's a 1st and maybe more. Diggs was wide open (for the NFL) on both his catches. 

That said I think the defense would have settled in and started stopping the run a lot more. We seemed like we were getting decent pressure on Allen and he looked uncomfortable. 

The offense looked like the 1st half of the Patriots game. Not sure anything negative can be said about how they were playing. Hurst needs to slow down a bit with the hurdling. Seems he does it at some point every game.

They did a good job of isolating Diggs on Wilson from the slot.  Our D wasnt awesome but it seemed to be very much bend dont break, whereas we were moving the ball at will.

Reply/Quote
Good for the Bills Board. This is the Bengals Board. No one is in a position to say what we should or can talk about. There was, what, nine minutes of ballgame played? I think post -suspension offers up a lot more topics for discussion.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:13 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Good for the Bills Board. This is the Bengals Board.  No one is in a position to say what we should or can talk about.  There was, what,  nine minutes of ballgame played? I think post -suspension offers up a lot more topics for discussion.

Good for the post-suspensipn threads. This is the talk about the game thread. No one is in a position to say what we should or can talk about. There was 9 minutes of ballgame played. I think that offers up some topics for discussion. 

If you don't want to talk about the game then go talk in the post-suspension topic threads. 
Reply/Quote

Nice thread Casear. Lets talk about the actual game. Burrow, Mixon, Tee, Boyd and Hurst all looked great. Adeniji was the one 
question and he looked very good in pass protection and run blocking from what I saw. Just what I wanted to see against the 
Bills who were the one team we hadn't beaten yet.

(01-03-2023, 07:05 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It felt like the beginning of the Chiefs. We were likely going to get another score on that 2nd drive the way we were moving. Blocking was looking fantastic both run and pass. They looked crisp and ready. Defense bowed up at the end of the Bills first drive.

Same thing I saw, looked just like the beginning of the Chiefs game and yes the Defense was playing tough and forced the 
Bills to kick the FG. The team that was scoring TD's and not FG's was the team that was going to win this one. It really looked
like Burrow matches up very well against that Defense.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:07 PM)TheFan Wrote: I thought our defense played pretty poorly the first drive. Bills were getting whatever they wanted with the run game and we got pretty lucky with the Beasley drop or it's a 1st and maybe more. Diggs was wide open (for the NFL) on both his catches. 

Diggs made a badazz play, he was playing with some passion that is for sure. But that was bend but don't break Defense, that is 
what you play against a team like the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:13 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Good for the Bills Board. This is the Bengals Board.  No one is in a position to say what we should or can talk about.  There was, what,  nine minutes of ballgame played? I think post -suspension offers up a lot more topics for discussion.

Feel free to take your snarky butt over to that thread which means NOTHING because any solution we dream up I can counter with an unfair impact on another team.  Oh... and no matter what we want.. the league will do what it wants.  That sounds like a perfect thread for you to provide nonstop drivel which means less than nothing until the league provides their solution.

Until them I will discuss the oline, the passes, the catches and the tackles of my team.  

Reply/Quote
There's so little game, only 2 drives + 2 plays in a 3rd drive, but what I saw, I really liked.

What I saw:

The offense was going to score at least 35 points that day. Zac Taylor was calling perfect plays, Burrow was seeing the blitzes and hitting the alerts, the receivers were carving up the Bills DBs, especially White who does not look all the way back (first the Chase DPI that could have been a touchdown, then the TD to Boyd). Guys were being schemed open, like the Higgins catch before the game was stopped.

The defense was...okay. They got caught in a few scheme mismatches, Wilson on Diggs being the major one. They tightened up in the red zone and, while the Beasley pass was effectively dropped, the pass rush caused Allen to be off line on the pass. The Bills run game was working a bit too well, however, and that may have bitten us in the ass in the end, depending on how the rest of the game would have went.

I think the guesses that it would be a shoot out were absolutely going to be correct. The only difference is that Burrow looked absolutely clinical (4/4, 52 yards, TD, 158.3 perfect QB rating) whereas Allen looked more wild and erratic (3/6, 33 yards, 2 rushes 14 yards). I don't think Burrow is missing a pass that night, where as Allen was playing very much like he was going to turn it over at some point, which I think would have been the difference.

I am deeply saddened by what happened to Hamlin and I hope he is okay, but I think we may have missed out on a truly franchise changing game last night, as I think we were about as dialed in as a team could possibly be. It's a shame that it was ended by a tragedy like it was.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's so little game, only 2 drives + 2 plays in a 3rd drive, it's hard to really talk about.

What I saw:

The offense was going to score at least 35 points that day. Zac Taylor was calling perfect plays, Burrow was seeing the blitzes and hitting the alerts, the receivers were carving up the Bills DBs, especially White who does not look all the way back (first the Chase DPI that could have been a touchdown, then the TD to Boyd). Guys were being schemed open, like the Higgins catch before the game was stopped.

The defense was...okay. They got caught in a few scheme mismatches, Wilson on Diggs being the major one. They tightened up in the red zone and, while the Beasley pass was effectively dropped, the pass rush caused Allen to be off line on the pass. The Bills run game was working a bit too well, however, and that may have bitten us in the ass in the end, depending on how the rest of the game would have went.

I think the guesses that it would be a shoot out were absolutely going to be correct. The only difference is that Burrow looked absolutely clinical (4/4, 52 yards, TD, 158.3 perfect QB rating) whereas Allen looked more wild and erratic (3/6, 33 yards, 2 rushes 14 yards). I don't think Burrow is missing a pass that night, where as Allen was playing very much like he was going to turn it over at some point, which I think would have been the difference.

I am deeply saddened by what happened to Hamlin and I hope he is okay, but I think we may have missed out on a truly franchise changing game last night, as I think we were about as dialed in as a team could possibly be. It's a shame that it was ended by a tragedy like it was.

Great post CJD. Saw everything you saw here. Too bad we couldn't see this game, I think like you say here it could of been a 
special night for this team getting to the next level against their next rival in the AFC.
Reply/Quote
That was the most exciting and explosive opening to a Bengals game I have ever seen. Monday night football, national TV, big time playoff implications, amazing crowd --just the kind of game the Bengals of old would come out and lay an egg. But what do they do? Take the opening kickoff, by choice, and march right down the field for a TD. You want to make a statement in a game like that and they did it right there in a huge way. It was beautiful Our players were in a zone, especially the offense. In the little bit we saw, it was clear the offense isnt done getting better even this year. This team is still young and on the rise.
Reply/Quote
that touchdown pass to Boyd was spectacular

Joe had all the time in the world on that throw
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Diggs made a badazz play, he was playing with some passion that is for sure. But that was bend but don't break Defense, that is 
what you play against a team like the Bills.

It took them a lot of plays to get down the field the more Allen throws the better chance we got to pick it. I thought our D played well to start the game they are a high-powered O, so I expected them to move the ball specially on the first drive.
Reply/Quote

IDK, the Bills ran it pretty easily on their first drive.  Hilton (I think?) made a nice play on 2nd down & Allen had a couple throws that were off & missed Beasley wide (with Apple lurking) on 3rd. 

We went through them like a hot knife through butter, however. 

I think the league will let week 18 play out & do 3 things. 

1) Continue to research the bylaws & see what authority/precedent exists in this situation. Be it declaring the game a forfeit, a tie, no contest, or whatever. 

2) Let week 18 play out & then give the teams the option to play or not.  Likely both teams will elect not to. But if one team wants to play & the other does not, it has to be a forfeit. 

3) Hope for some good news on Hamlin. 

---------------------

FWIW, if we win next week, and we get good news on Hamlin, I think it is a good gamble to play IF the Chiefs loose. We'd get a week and a half off with a win. We'd have the lead. The game is here. We have the lead. We have the ball. 

Now, if we lose and have a short week for a PO game (albeit a home one), that is tough one and something I would not wanna risk if the extra week is not on the table. 

But Buffalo, if faced with the choice of having to win a roadie where they are already behind to avoid that short week, and simply accepting the #2 seed, I think they choose the latter. 

Now, if KC wins, I don't think we sign up for a short week before the POs either. But the Bills might be willing to risk it, thinking we won't want to play.
Reply/Quote
The Bills defense had no shot of stopping our offense. White gave up their two biggest plays of the game and that’s not a good sign considering he is arguably their best defensive player on the field last night.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: that touchdown pass to Boyd was spectacular

Joe had all the time in the world on that throw

I thought so too till the announcer said it was an easy throw no big deal. lol How they belittle anything we do is just the norm anymore.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's so little game, only 2 drives + 2 plays in a 3rd drive, but what I saw, I really liked.

What I saw:

That pass didtn't seem dropped, appeared Beasley just wasn't tall enough to get to it.  Barely could get fingertips on it....?

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 07:38 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: It took them a lot of plays to get down the field the more Allen throws the better chance we got to pick it. I thought our D played well to start the game they are a high-powered O, so I expected them to move the ball specially one the first drive.

Yeah, that is what happens when you play an Offense like that. You are going to give up plays, but you just have to bend 
but not break in the end. Turnovers are going to come eventually with Allen, he can fumble it or throw an int at any time.

Need to tackle well and I bet we would start to slow down that run game once we figured them out. Not concerned about 
the play early from the Defense, in the end they held up and forced a FG. The Bills are going to move the ball on anybody.

(01-03-2023, 07:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: The Bills defense had no shot of stopping our offense. White gave up their two biggest plays of the game and that’s not a good sign considering he is arguably their best defensive player on the field last night.

Exactly, that wasn't a good sign for the Bills with one of their best Defensive players getting toasted right off the bat. I bet 
Burrow has one of his best games of his career if that game continues.
Reply/Quote
On offense I thought we looked amazing in the small sample we got. It really made me feel like we were going to win this game and wish things would've worked out differently for many reasons but just to see it all play out.

As far as defense it looked like a struggle but against Josh Allen and this Bills offense that was to be expected. The defense has proven time and again that they can adjust to what the offense is showing and I have no reason to not believe they would've been able to get some keep stops.

Holding them to 3 points was a little lucky I thought and a huge win at that point in the game. But now that I look back this may have been the main key to this particular match up. If our offense can move the ball like they were and the Bills are a hard team to get off the field on offense. Then it may have very well come down to who did what in the red zone.
Reply/Quote