Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bills hired a Female Quality Control Coach--Why can't Bengals do the Same?
I cannot remember his name but the former PATS OC and former Notre Dame Coach did not play high school football.

Best person for the job should be hired. If a lady wanted to learn the sport and put in the time like the guy I am recalling, I would fully endorse the idea.

And Bonnie, it is far more likely that a female could become a really good coach than the likelihood of most men making quality cookies.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They are partially run by a woman...Katie Blackburn...she handles contracts and other very important things that have helped make this one of the model NFL teams the last 5 years.
Let's not lose sight of the forest while looking for a tree....
Reply/Quote
while talking about trees, if a tree falls in forest and nobody hear it, did it really fall - yes, it really fell.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: rbyeimJ.jpg]

No wonder my father-in-law likes Van Heusen shirts so much.  Sheesh...
Reply/Quote
I always lay in bed in a dress shirt and tie waiting for my gf to....uhhh..kick my ass out of bed, but that's not the point here..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think someone who is a trained analyst can transfer those skills to the NFL.  There are plenty of women who know about football.  If someone can combine their analyst training with football knowledge and become a quality control coach or analyst, why not?  I think the quality control position is definitely an analyst position.
Reply/Quote
We've hired 3 more assistants. #Bengals made a couple of coaching moves. Robert Livingston becomes an assistant DBs coach (was def. quality control) Dan Pitcher was hired from Indy as an off. assistant. Robert Couch hired as an off. quality control coach. Former Falcons/Rams prac squad OL

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
They're getting pretty low in the pecking order for assistant coaches, but I have full faith someone will make the argument that the team is going to the dogs simply because one of the QC people didn't become the league MVP on at least 15 occasions..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We need a woman head coach. All men know about honey do lists and the results after they are not done on time. Besides, she could be an extra cheerleader.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
BTW, who wouldn't like to see 2 women head coaches duke it out in a cat fight after a game?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 04:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:   There are plenty of women who know about football. 

Not on the level of NFL coaching staffs.

It isn't because women are not as smart as men.  it is simply because there are practically none who are being exposed to high level coaching that teaches them the game on anything even close to the NFL level.

There are lot's of people here (of both sexes) who think they know a lot about football, but the worst coach in the NFL would embarrass all of them in a film session.  I played football at a very small college, but they had great coaches.  That really opened my eyes about how much there really is to know about football.

I have no doubt that the woman the Bills just hired is fully qualified.  She has been working in the NFL since '03.  But she is a rare exception to the rule.
Reply/Quote
I think the NFL should hire a bunch more women refs to at least replace the hacks that reffed the Bengals/Steelers playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 01:56 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Not many, but this could be the beginning.  

I don't think this is an issue of opportunities, but more of a lack of interest. I know a lot of women who love football, but aren't chomping at the bit to get into the game. Granted this is a pretty big moment in the leagues history, but I don't think teams should actively go out and pursue female coaching candidates based it on it. Best man or woman for the job should still apply.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Not a big fan of having someone coach an activity they themselves have never done. Backyard ball when you're a kid just doesn't count when you need to coach professional technique.

Now there are some women who have played in that bikini league, but I'm not sure the talent that league is looking for has anything to do with football skills.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not on the level of NFL coaching staffs.

It isn't because women are not as smart as men.  it is simply because there are practically none who are being exposed to high level coaching that teaches them the game on anything even close to the NFL level.

There are lot's of people here (of both sexes) who think they know a lot about football, but the worst coach in the NFL would embarrass all of them in a film session.  I played football at a very small college, but they had great coaches.  That really opened my eyes about how much there really is to know about football.

I have no doubt that the woman the Bills just hired is fully qualified.  She has been working in the NFL since '03.  But she is a rare exception to the rule.
What I said was the following:  "I think someone who is a trained analyst can transfer those skills to the NFL.  There are plenty of women who know about football.  If someone can combine their analyst training with football knowledge and become a quality control coach or analyst, why not?  I think the quality control position is definitely an analyst position."  

You only quoted my words "There are plenty of women who know about football," left everything else out, and you changed the context of what I said.  My point is, a woman who is also a trained analyst can take her analyst training and do what is essentially an analyst position.  They should have football knowledge, but I don't think they have to have the same amount of knowledge as someone who is head coach a football team or coaching a skill position.  The woman hired by the Bills is analyzing special teams.  Her skills as an analyst are the most important thing here.  
Reply/Quote
If a woman is the most qualified candidate for the job, then hire her.

I'm looking for the most qualified candidate regardless of gender.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 05:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What I said was the following:  "I think someone who is a trained analyst can transfer those skills to the NFL.  There are plenty of women who know about football.  If someone can combine their analyst training with football knowledge and become a quality control coach or analyst, why not?  I think the quality control position is definitely an analyst position."  

You only quoted my words "There are plenty of women who know about football," left everything else out, and you changed the context of what I said.  My point is, a woman who is also a trained analyst can take her analyst training and do what is essentially an analyst position.  They should have football knowledge, but I don't think they have to have the same amount of knowledge as someone who is head coach a football team or coaching a skill position.  The woman hired by the Bills is analyzing special teams.  Her skills as an analyst are the most important thing here.  

I see your point Bonnie.
Reply/Quote
I also want to say that I'll bet this woman is exceptional. The front office has to know that if they hire woman who is not qualified the players will know immediately and ignore what she says.

She is also going to be judged much more strictly than the 31 othe QC coaches. If a QC coach from any other team messes up or is incompetent we will never hear about it. But if she makes any substantial error it will be big news.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think this is a great idea.  I'm sure a woman could do just as good a job as a man plus she could also do a little cleaning up around the offices and maybe bake some cookies for the staff.

Fredtoast quality post right here.
Reply/Quote
no "we already got a female coach-Marvin" jokes yet? You guys are slacking
Reply/Quote