Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Price Benched Again
(11-27-2019, 12:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Price has been a huge disappointment. I thought he would do well. Shows how much I know.

Yet another draft where someone else takes the guy we wanted and we sit around trying to convince ourselves our inaction will be rewarded with the better player.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hate OSU but I loved the Price pick. After seeing him manhandle guys in college, get to the second level and play both center and guard great in school. You just never know with draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yet another draft where someone else takes the guy we wanted and we sit around trying to convince ourselves our inaction will be rewarded with the better player.  

Guess what.  Every single fan of every single team would love to trade up every year to get their favorite player in the draft, yet only a few teams move up every year.

So basically every year every fan of every team could repeat your exact same whine.

That being said, to me Billy Price is the single biggest disappointment on a team full of disappointments.  I gave him a pass last year because he had not been lifting in the off season, but he has looked no better this year.  I figured that even if he was not a star he would at least be a decent starter at OG or OC.  But he is a total mess.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 01:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guess what.  Every single fan of every single team would love to trade up every year to get their favorite player in the draft, yet only a few teams move up every year.

So basically every year every fan of every team could repeat your exact same whine.

That being said, to me Billy Price is the single biggest disappointment on a team full of disappointments.  I gave him a pass last year because he had not been lifting in the off season, but he has looked no better this year.  I figured that even if he was not a star he would at least be a decent starter at OG or OC.  But he is a total mess.

I think what he's referring to is there were some reports that the Bengals wanted Ragnow and he went before they picked...so they had to settle for Price.

Also, this year they supposedly wanted Risner...and he got picked so they traded down for Sample.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 01:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guess what.  Every single fan of every single team would love to trade up every year to get their favorite player in the draft, yet only a few teams move up every year.

It's just 2 drafts in a row where it looked like we were looking for a specific guy but also more than happy to just take the guy who fell to us.  It just reminds me too mych of me waiting until after the popular guys in school had their homecoming dates lined up before I took a look at what was left. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's just 2 drafts in a row where it looked like we were looking for a specific guy but also more than happy to just take the guy who fell to us.  It just reminds me too mych of me waiting until after the popular guys in school had their homecoming dates lined up before I took a look at what was left. 

You should have traded up? What would you have traded?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's just 2 drafts in a row where it looked like we were looking for a specific guy but also more than happy to just take the guy who fell to us.  It just reminds me too mych of me waiting until after the popular guys in school had their homecoming dates lined up before I took a look at what was left. 

We got the player we wanted this year.
Reply/Quote

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from The Big Bang Theory where Howard takes Leonard to a bar to pick up women. Howard’s advice: “First we let the lawyers and the jocks thin the herd, and then we go after the weak, the old, and the lame.”

Isn’t this the way the Bengals draft and acquire talent? “First we let the 49ers and the Steelers thin the herd...”
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We got the player we wanted this year.

I still maintain we wanted Bush and the Steelers jumped us for a good reason, but ehh.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yet another draft where someone else takes the guy we wanted and we sit around trying to convince ourselves our inaction will be rewarded with the better player.  

You'd have traded up to get a C in the first in that draft?

Wow.

I actually preferred Daniels ahead of Ragnow in that draft as C but would have gone with Wynn in the first and left C until later in the draft. As it turns out, we already had a serviceable C on our roster so didn't need to reach for Price.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 03:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This saddens me, I had hopes that he would develop into a strong, run blocking OL that we could rely on for 10-12 years.

Same here, don't know what is wrong with him. Dude was good in college, guess he just hasn't learned to block 
with his short wingspan or something. There are ways to go about still playing well with shorter arms, Price just 
hasn't figured it out I guess at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:43 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: You'd have traded up to get a C in the first in that draft?

Wow.

I actually preferred Daniels ahead of Ragnow in that draft as C but would have gone with Wynn in the first and left C until later in the draft. As it turns out, we already had a serviceable C on our roster so didn't need to reach for Price.

Seeing as we simply settled for our 2nd choice at C and got a bust out of it with our 1st round pick I don't think it's too crazy to think we should have done something.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 05:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seeing as we simply settled for our 2nd choice at C and got a bust out of it with our 1st round pick I don't think it's too crazy to think we should have done something.

They should have done something else but that doesn't mean they should have traded up. That would have probably cost a third round pick (we picked Sam Hubbard in the 3rd) to have moved up.

Plan B should have been to look at another position rather than reach for the third best center prospect.

If we're using hindsight the correct option would be to have drafted Lamar Jackson instead and play Trey Hopkins at C. As I said, at the time I was in favor of us drafting Wynn (IMO a potential future LT) and felt C could be addressed later.

(Also the Bengals weren't inactive - they traded down to 21st prior to the draft because they thought McGlinchley would be gone at 12 (he was, he went 9) to acquire Glenn and put themselves in the right area for Ragnow. Picking him at 12 would have been too high.)
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, don't know what is wrong with him. Dude was good in college, guess he just hasn't learned to block 
with his short wingspan or something. There are ways to go about still playing well with shorter arms, Price just 
hasn't figured it out I guess at all.

Yeah, I can't figure it out, either.  As a Center, I figured that he might struggle with NTs when facing odd fronts, and be doing well against even fronts. (either getting out on LBs in run blocking, or doubling down or picking up blitzes in pass pro)  As a Guard, I figured that he would be a sure-fire, reliable starter as his highly touted natural aggression would carry him.

So far, he's turned out to be nothing but a major disappointment.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 06:19 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: They should have done something else but that doesn't mean they should have traded up. That would have probably cost a third round pick (we picked Sam Hubbard in the 3rd) to have moved up.

Plan B should have been to look at another position rather than reach for the third best center prospect.

If we're using hindsight the correct option would be to have drafted Lamar Jackson instead and play Trey Hopkins at C. As I said, at the time I was in favor of us drafting Wynn (IMO a potential future LT) and felt C could be addressed later.

(Also the Bengals weren't inactive - they traded down to 21st prior to the draft because they thought McGlinchley would be gone at 12 (he was, he went 9) to acquire Glenn and put themselves in the right area for Ragnow. Picking him at 12 would have been too high.)

All I'm saying is in the past 2 drafts we watched the Lions take Ragnow and then we just took "the other center" and we watched the Steelers move up and take Bush and we took another lineman so here we are with a bust C and an IR-ed lineman.  Maybe everything is fine, maybe we just got screwed, who knows.

I'm not even using hindsight so much as I'm saying it seems like we get caught with our proverbial pants down in the 1st round a lot lately.
Reply/Quote
When I watch the players around the league it seems that former SEC player are tougher, I think there are always tough teams that they play weekin and week out. Even the players taken later in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 07:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: All I'm saying is in the past 2 drafts we watched the Lions take Ragnow and then we just took "the other center" and we watched the Steelers move up and take Bush and we took another lineman so here we are with a bust C and an IR-ed lineman.  Maybe everything is fine, maybe we just got screwed, who knows.

I'm not even using hindsight so much as I'm saying it seems like we get caught with our proverbial pants down in the 1st round a lot lately.

2019 Lap said day before the draft that they'd take Jonah if he was still there. Jonah wasn't talked about more because they thought it likely he was gone by then.

2018 the issue was evaluation. There were two Centers with 1st round grades (Ragnow and Daniels) and we took one with a second round grade (I know some had him higher but you can't convince me that a Center has a first round grade if nobody thinks he's got all-pro potential) - it may just be coincidental that he happened to play for Ohio State and would therefore sell season tickets.

The other thing to consider is if you have a player ranked the 11th best in the draft, where should you pick them? Should you trade up to take them at 8 to stop someone jumping in front of you? If you are picking at 11 should you be "targeting" the 11th best pick and saying they're going to be the one or should you be coveting a player you've got ranked at 6-8 to fall to you? If the players ranked 6-8 are all off the board by the time you pick at 11 have your pants been pulled down? Or should you be coveting the 11th best player and then leave a player ranked 6-8 on the board?

The Steelers also jumped in front of the Bengals in the third round in 2018 for Mason Rudolph. Should the Bengals have jumped ahead to prevent that?

The Bengals haven't had their pants pulled down in the draft. They've had them pulled down in FA which has left them with too many needs rather than allowing them to draft BPA. The Billy Price fiasco doesn't happen if the Bengals had signed a viable FA C. If they'd signed a FA C that wouldn't have prevented them drafting Ragnow if he was available - he could have played G for a year. Instead they were forced into reaching instead of waiting for a C to fall to them.

For next year's draft the roster seems to have even more holes than ever. QB, LG, RT, LBx2 - and that's assuming FAs they want to keep like AJ, and Trey Hopkins are re-signed (and where do Dennard, Eifert etc stand?), before cap casualties/coaching scheme casualties (Kirkpatrick? Dunlap?) and general upgrading of depth. They may sign a few FAs but it's hard to see all those positions being adequately addressed so they can genuinely pick BPA.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:53 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: For next year's draft the roster seems to have even more holes than ever. QB, LG, RT, LBx2 - and that's assuming FAs they want to keep like AJ, and Trey Hopkins are re-signed (and where do Dennard, Eifert etc stand?), before cap casualties/coaching scheme casualties (Kirkpatrick? Dunlap?) and general upgrading of depth. They may sign a few FAs but it's hard to see all those positions being adequately addressed so they can genuinely pick BPA.

This FA is the one that bothers me.

He isn't a terrible player, but damn it, I am sick of giving contracts to guys who can't stay on the field.

Dennard has been nothing but a disappointment here.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I would just like to point out that I wanted to draft LJ or James Daniels that year. There was a ton of support for Price on these forums tho. eat crow

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 11:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This FA is the one that bothers me.

He isn't a terrible player, but damn it, I am sick of giving contracts to guys who can't stay on the field.

Dennard has been nothing but a disappointment here.

Dennard has actually played 72 games in just under six seasons here. That's more than I thought.

He's a weird one: he hasn't lived up to his draft position (just 22 career starts, 3 interceptions is a disappointment for a first round pick in their sixth season) but at the same time I think has been one of the reasons why the defense has improved in recent weeks and BW Webb would be a downgrade on him. I think he's actually one of the few upcoming FAs on the roster I'd be keen on retaining. He's not great but he's solid enough that you don't worry about him and there aren't many Bengals you can say that about. I say sign him up as that's one less hole to worry about filling in the off season.
Reply/Quote