Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Billy Price making things difficult
Two points

1. Price has zero trade value

2. We have not seen our "starting" center take a single snap in a game yet, and Price is our only vet back up.
Reply/Quote
How about we keep Price and have a solid backup in case Trey gets hurt?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two points

1. Price has zero trade value

2. We have not seen our "starting" center take a single snap in a game yet, and Price is our only vet back up.

Russel Bodine was trade from BUF to NE a couple years ago for a 6th…let’s cool off on the “no trade value” thing.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Russel Bodine was trade from BUF to NE a couple years ago for a 6th…let’s cool off on the “no trade value” thing.

From the first game of his rookie season, playing for 2 different teams, Bodine started 74 of his first 76 NFL games.

Price has started only 19 games in three seasons.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From the first game of his rookie season, playing for 2 different teams, Bodine started 74 of his first 76 NFL games.

Price has started only 19 games in three seasons.

Playing horrible but playing doesn’t necessarily create value. Many past first round picks retain value even after they bust hence why Corey Coleman continues to get signed year over year. Offensive line are at a heavy premium in the league and if any look like they could potentially play they have value based on lack of supply alone.

Bottom line, your statement “he has zero value” has zero basis in fact. We will see back up kickers and special teams players traded for future late round picks, which kind of support the argument he has SOME value.
Reply/Quote
If price is developing into at least a competent Nfl backup that has more value to me than a future 7th round pick. Until the interior ol is settled I don’t get rid of any of them. Decent depth on the ol is a good situation to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:09 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: If price is developing into at least a competent Nfl backup that has more value to me than a future 7th round pick.  Until the interior ol is settled I don’t get rid of any of them.  Decent depth on the ol is a good situation to have.

Yeah, people complain we have no depth, then first thing when a backup starts playing well they want to trade them. We may need him with Hopkins coming back from knee injury.
Reply/Quote
Billy Price and the offensive line are doing way better in pass protection so far in preseason but their run blocking is still horrendous; the tackles are still getting eaten alive on run plays to the outside. However, the run blocking is better than anything we’ve seen since 2018 so at least there’s improvement. Frank Pollack has a few years of Jim Turner stank to un-coach and I’m surprised the line has responded so positively.

Okay, back to Billy Price. Let’s not forget he was Frank Pollack’s first round draft choice in 2018 and let’s also not forget the Bengals started 4–1 that year before Price was injured. Billy was playing well under Pollack’s tutelage and it’s no surprise he’s playing well again. Billy may be trade bait, he may become a solid backup center, he may play guard, or it’s not out of the question he may win the starting center job.

Jim Turner coached players down and Frank Pollock coaches players up.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:00 PM)Synric Wrote: I would call up the Bears and ask if they would go Billy Price for Nick Foles straight up. Bears want out of that contract badly and they cant cut him because it would cost them even more. The contract would be ALOT less for the Bengals and they could use a backup QB.

That's a pretty damn good idea.  I think Foles would do well with our offense because if Burrow goes down, our season is over.  Chicago is a tough place for any QB to play due to the wind and cold.  I watched a little bit of the Bears/Bills game yesterday and the Bills DL was getting after Andy.  After a sack, he had that "irritated Andy" look on his face that he showed so much during the 2019 season. LMAO

But ya, if Hopkins is not ready to go, then it's a damn good thing we have Price.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 05:35 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: That is in a good way. Not sure what Hopkins contract situation is but Billy Price is finally making an impact on the oline. I could see Bengals bring Hopkins back slowly and with that it could open up the door big time for Price. To the point that Hopkins won’t get his job back. Obviously Hopkins is still valuable to the roster for him being able to backup all 3 interior line positions. We didn’t pick up Price’s option but maybe he’s finally figured it out with Pollack coaching. Figured it out enough that he could be the center of the future. One can hope.

Hopkins is one of the best pass protectors on the OL, and he's played OG before, so maybe a move back to OG could be an option for Hopkins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How about we keep Price and have a solid backup in case Trey gets hurt?

Probably this.  Unless someone had a starter go down and you could get something like a 3rd round pick for him.  I disagree with Fred that there is no trade value.  Price has had a lot of injuries and a horrible offensive line coach, not to mention a dearth of talent around him.  He is proving he can be a capable center.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Billy Price and the offensive line are doing way better in pass protection so far in preseason but their run blocking is still horrendous; the tackles are still getting eaten alive on run plays to the outside.  However, the run blocking is better than anything we’ve seen since 2018 so at least there’s improvement.  Frank Pollack has a few years of Jim Turner stank to un-coach and I’m surprised the line has responded so positively.

Okay, back to Billy Price.  Let’s not forget he was Frank Pollack’s first round draft choice in 2018 and let’s also not forget the Bengals started 4–1 that year before Price was injured.  Billy was playing well under Pollack’s tutelage and it’s no surprise he’s playing well again.  Billy may be trade bait, he may become a solid backup center, he may play guard, or it’s not out of the question he may win the starting center job.

Those are both good and valid points to consider.  It will take a while for some fans to go back to expecting young OL players to develop and improve under competent coaching, rather than flash early and regress horribly, as they did under the piss poor methods and presentation of Jim Turner.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 07:51 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good post old friend.  How are you?  I agree Hopkins will be there day 1.

Good my man! How are you doing ol buddy?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, people complain we have no depth, then first thing when a backup starts playing well they want to trade them. We may need him with Hopkins coming back from knee injury.

I just put an option out there with the state of the offensive line and who they can keep on the 53.

Starters: Jonah Williams - Quinton Spain - Trey Hopkins - Xavier Su'a-Filo(?) - Riley Reiff. (5)
Backups: Fred Johnson(T) - Michael Jordan(G/C) - D'Ante Smith(T/G) - Billy Price(C/G) - 
Trey Hill (C/G) Jackson Carman (G/T). That's 11 offensive linemen.

It's possible they carry 10 but I believe they usually carry 9. Even if they carry 10 one of those guys is on there way out.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 03:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I just put an option out there with the state of the offensive line and who they can keep on the 53.

Starters: Jonah Williams - Quinton Spain - Trey Hopkins - Xavier Su'a-Filo(?) - Riley Reiff. (5)
Backups: Fred Johnson(T) - Michael Jordan(G/C) - D'Ante Smith(T/G) - Billy Price(C/G) - 
Trey Hill (C/G) Jackson Carman (G/T). That's 11 offensive linemen.

It's possible they carry 10 but I believe they usually carry 9. Even if they carry 10 one of those guys is on there way out.

You make a good point here. It could come down to price, hill or Jordan. I think they won’t give up on hill so soon. But I hang on to them as long as I can to guard against any more injuries

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:09 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: If price is developing into at least a competent Nfl backup that has more value to me than a future 7th round pick.  Until the interior ol is settled I don’t get rid of any of them.  Decent depth on the ol is a good situation to have.

Problem is you're only going to have Price for this year because the Bengals aren't going to sign him in the off season.  

They already declined to pick up his option, so you might as well trade him and try and get an extra draft pick as he'll just walk in the off season. 

That's the reason the team drafted Hill. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 10:32 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Problem is you're only going to have Price for this year because the Bengals aren't going to sign him in the off season.  

They already declined to pick up his option, so you might as well trade him and try and get an extra draft pick as he'll just walk in the off season. 

That's the reason the team drafted Hill. 

I guess you didn’t my post above this one. I would normally agree with you about price. Since burrow is coming back from a major injury I would rather have the best 9-10 ol we have surrounding him. If price is one of those guys keeping him this year and getting nothing for him is better than having a lesser ol this year and a 7th rounder next year. If he really is turning the corner the team could end up resigning him. Doubtful but possible.

Just my 2 cents

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, people complain we have no depth, then first thing when a backup starts playing well they want to trade them. We may need him with Hopkins coming back from knee injury.

This X 1000

Last year we had 11 different players start on our O-line.  9 of them had at least 5 starts.  3 of them started at more than one position.  Altogether we had 10 different starting combinations on our O-line in 16 games last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:38 AM)kalibengal Wrote: or potential trade bait? but not sure what "price" he would fetch ? Guessing no more then a 5th

Given how well we do with 4th round picks, I would hold out for a 4th.     Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Billy Price and the offensive line are doing way better in pass protection so far in preseason but their run blocking is still horrendous; the tackles are still getting eaten alive on run plays to the outside.  However, the run blocking is better than anything we’ve seen since 2018 so at least there’s improvement.  Frank Pollack has a few years of Jim Turner stank to un-coach and I’m surprised the line has responded so positively.

Okay, back to Billy Price.  Let’s not forget he was Frank Pollack’s first round draft choice in 2018 and let’s also not forget the Bengals started 4–1 that year before Price was injured.  Billy was playing well under Pollack’s tutelage and it’s no surprise he’s playing well again.  Billy may be trade bait, he may become a solid backup center, he may play guard, or it’s not out of the question he may win the starting center job.

+1.  It's good to see better pass pro, especially against a D line like WFT has.  Would certainly like to see the run blocking get better because they're going to still need it, but at least they're working harder at protecting the QB.  Seeing improvement with Price is also very encouraging.  It's about time! 
Reply/Quote