Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Price update
Maybe Billings gets stronger with age and can hold his own next year. But would be drafting some competition early in draft.

Believe if NT and OL are fixed this team can be a contender immediately.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Maybe Billings gets stronger with age and can hold his own next year. But would be drafting some competition early in draft.

Need some athletic LBers too.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Maybe Billings gets stronger with age and can hold his own next year. But would be drafting some competition early in draft.

I'm not sure that physical strength is the problem with Billings.  He had fantastic powerlifting numbers, and was simply able to outmuscle most of his competition in college.  I think with him, it's truly a technique issue.  NFL OL just aren't going to get bullrushed, play after play.  In my opinion, this team should strongly consider trading for an effective NT, or put some serious consideration on taking one at the top of the draft.  Even if that means trading up in the 1st round, in order to land the right man.

They got extremely lucky when Geno Atkins fell to them in the 4th round, 8 years ago.  Since then, every single DT that they have drafted has turned into a bust.  I'm sure that there are quality guys to be drafted in rounds 2-4, but do we have the talent identifiers that can recognize who they are? (scouts, positional coaches)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 07:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It started that way early in the season, but Hart has improved and so has Redmond.  I think both of them are very young and are gaining valuable experience playing together.  The rushing attack has been leaps and bounds better than last year.  

I would love to see a game-by-game breakdown of the linemen through PFF...

NT and LB are huge issues on the defense and the safety play opposite Bates has also been disappointing. 
If you noticed, Mixon is  gaining a lot of his yards off the Right side! I think this rightside of our line is playing better. Didn't hear TJ Watt's named called for a sack last Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that physical strength is the problem with Billings.  He had fantastic powerlifting numbers, and was simply able to outmuscle most of his competition in college.  I think with him, it's truly a technique issue.  NFL OL just aren't going to get bullrushed, play after play.  In my opinion, this team should strongly consider trading for an effective NT, or put some serious consideration on taking one at the top of the draft.  Even if that means trading up in the 1st round, in order to land the right man.

They got extremely lucky when Geno Atkins fell to them in the 4th round, 8 years ago.  Since then, every single DT that they have drafted has turned into a bust.  I'm sure that there are quality guys to be drafted in rounds 2-4, but do we have the talent identifiers that can recognize who they are? (scouts, positional coaches)

In another thread, you mentioned Glascow. I believe we really miss him in the rotation.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:48 AM)sandwedge Wrote: In another thread, you mentioned Glascow. I believe we really miss him in the rotation.

Yes, he is a developmental project that I've been excited for his prospects, up to the knee injury.  Let's hope this isn't a career ender for him, as he had shown that he not only had the physical capabilities, but that he was quite coachable as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No he’s not. Takes way too many penalties, and gives up a ton of pressures. He’s even rated below Hart by PFF...

PFF is garbage. The coaches have other options, but continue to play him. They know more than you.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: PFF is garbage. The coaches have other options, but continue to play him. They know more than you.

Yeah, PFF is always garbage when you disagree with a poor rating of a player you like. I’m sure we won’t argue too much if they give high ratings to AJ or Geno though.

And our options are extremely thin on the OL. Westerman, Og, and Fisher. Not exactly hard to beat those guys out.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Need some athletic LBers too.

Agree but thinking that does not happen until following year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 03:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is good news.  I think down the stretch he will continue to gel with the offensive line and they will continue to improve.

Yep and this team will make a run. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 11:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that physical strength is the problem with Billings.  He had fantastic powerlifting numbers, and was simply able to outmuscle most of his competition in college.  I think with him, it's truly a technique issue.  NFL OL just aren't going to get bullrushed, play after play.  In my opinion, this team should strongly consider trading for an effective NT, or put some serious consideration on taking one at the top of the draft.  Even if that means trading up in the 1st round, in order to land the right man.

Billings is still really young Sunset, technique can be taught and he flashes. Not giving up on the man yet.
Reply/Quote
Poor scheme is part of the issue with Billings too. We are not setting our players up to succeed with our overly vanilla DL schemes coupled with the extremely soft zones.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 08:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billings is still really young Sunset, technique can be taught and he flashes. Not giving up on the man yet.

Nate, I admire your dedication and enthusiasm for the player, but he's not a rookie anymore.  At some point he needs to stop flashing, and make plays on the regular.  This is almost half way into his second year of playing, and third year out of college ball.  During this preseason, I really thought that he'd caught on, and was going to be just fine.  But, as it appears, he's not doing so well when the team really needs him to step up.

Part of the problem could be Glassgow being done for the season, putting more emphasis on Billings to be the man.  

With that said, I still think the Bengals should be looking to either trade for a proven NT with some miles left on the tires, or plan on going after the best NT in the draft.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't think the coaches had Price play any guard during the offseason. When he's healthy he'll start at center and Hopkins will return to the bench.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm reading he still hasn't practiced, so week 7 return pushed back to week 8 or after bye week and week 10.

As for talk of him as a guard. Look, they drafted him to be the center for many years to come. You can get guards. A good center draft pick is more rare. I saw Price at Ohio State and he has ability to be Bengals Pro Bowl Center and play into 2030's.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 01:15 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't think the coaches had Price play any guard during the offseason. When he's healthy he'll start at center and Hopkins will return to the bench.

Price has played guard for several years while at OSU.  But I think Redmond is holding his own and Price would make the better General of the O-Line.  

But the Bengals still need to address RT and RG next off season
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, PFF is always garbage when you disagree with a poor rating of a player you like. I’m sure we won’t argue too much if they give high ratings to AJ or Geno though.

No, its ratings are pretty much garbage all around.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, he is a developmental project that I've been excited for his prospects, up to the knee injury.  Let's hope this isn't a career ender for him, as he had shown that he not only had the physical capabilities, but that he was quite coachable as well.

He's going to be a great player for the Bengals, reminds me a lot like Krumrie.  And the only good thing about his injury (if there is something good to come of it), is it happened early in the season so he should be able to pick up right where he left off next year with a good offseason of rehab and no setbacks.
Reply/Quote