Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Exercise
I just thought it would be fun to do an exercise with all of you. Now if you hold extreme points of view, you might find it difficult. That said, generally there is at least something to be found.

Name one idea, policy, or set of actions from an opposing ideology, that though they do not align with your worldview perfectly, you like. What are some ideas that you think everyone can get behind? What are some ideas that you suspect might be universally unliked?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-30-2016, 02:34 AM)treee Wrote: I just thought it would be fun to do an exercise with all of you. Now if you hold extreme points of view, you might find it difficult. That said, generally there is at least something to be found.

Name one idea, policy, or set of actions from an opposing ideology, that though they do not align with your worldview perfectly, you like. What are some ideas that you think everyone can get behind? What are some ideas that you suspect might be universally unliked?

I agree with Trump that we have an illegal immigration problem.  I agree we need to work toward solving the problem to help them and us make the US better. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I agree with Hillary that Trump would not make a good president. LOL

I'll go with the prison system. Against private prisons. It's a serious responsibility to take away someone's freedom, and you don't pass that off on someone looking to make a profit. Also, the punishment is loss of freedom. Now while I wouldn't make it a 4 star experience, I see no reason that prison needs to be harsh, and I don't care that they get cable.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

A view that doesn't align with being conservative:

I believe in stricter measures for gun ownership
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I'd go with immigration as well.  Think there are a lot of fantastic people would should adopt from across the world.  But there are many we don't want any part of coming over as well illegally. 

As for something everyone should be able to get behind: EXECUTING LOBBYISTS 
I agree with decriminalization of recreational drug use/sales. Too much resource being used on a problem that isn't improving.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
The biggest reason large cities like Chicago are turning into war zones is because African American culture glorifies gun violence.

A large portion of their music industry concentrates on praising gun violence.
(08-30-2016, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The biggest reason large cities like Chicago are turning into war zones is because African American culture glorifies gun violence.

A large portion of their music industry concentrates on praising gun violence.

Gun control is generally a position supported by Democrats.  Which Conservative position can you find that you agree with?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-30-2016, 11:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gun control is generally a position supported by Democrats.  Which Conservative position can you find that you agree with?

My comment had zero to do with gun control.

Aren't conservatives the ones who claim blacks are to blame the gun violence problem?
I don't like the idea of a society were you can change your gender. It's unnatural and we need to draw a line in the sand about how far we are willing to let the advancement of technology toy with mother nature. I feel the same way with cloning animals and genetically modifying crops. Everything on this earth before humans touched it worked in harmony and the more our population grows the more we need to mess up that harmony to sustain our population. If we don't draw a line somewhere when will it end? I'm not going as far to say we shouldn't give artificial limbs or hearing aids to kids who were born with issues but we are starting to do some scary things (and great things.) with science and it'd be nice to take a step back and evaluate the consequences of that. It's not a social issue for me I hold nothing against transgender people.

I also believe a lot of cheap bad drugs are coming from across the border but the addiction starts here at home with all of the dentists and doctors handing out opoids like candy. Patients get opoids for a tooth pull and dry out all of their finances after they get hooked and then turn to the streets for a cheaper fix. We have a bad history of using our citizens as guinea pigs for all sorts of drugs. You used to be able to buy some hardcore drugs like morphine out of the Sears catalog back in the day.
(08-30-2016, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My comment had zero to do with gun control.

Aren't conservatives the ones who claim blacks are to blame the gun violence problem?

So you think blacks are to blame for the gun violence problem?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-30-2016, 11:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gun control is generally a position supported by Democrats.  Which Conservative position can you find that you agree with?

I dont think he was talking about gun control, but the thug culture that includes guns that is promoted through some music.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-30-2016, 12:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you think blacks are to blame for the gun violence problem?

I think a big part of the inner city gun violence is due to the facets of their culture that glorify gun violence.

Gun violence is not just a problem in inner cities, so I am not saying that their culture is the cause of ALL gun violence in America, but it is a major factor in the problems in the inner cities.
(08-30-2016, 12:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I dont think he was talking about gun control, but the thug culture that includes guns that is promoted through some music.

Not trying to start an argument here, but have you seen some of the discussions about the way the word Thug is used? If you haven't, I suggest you look into it. Is a very interesting perspective.
I disagree with the Libertarian Party that we should sell assets to cover Social Security payouts for those already promised, while moving future enrollments to a free market system.

I was in favor of privatization until the economy hit a wall. That was a pretty good example of why a market-based retirement system isn't a good idea. I'm in favor of the Democrats efforts to keep it as a trust.
(08-30-2016, 01:45 PM)treee Wrote: Not trying to start an argument here, but have you seen some of the discussions about the way the word Thug is used? If you haven't, I suggest you look into it. Is a very interesting perspective.

Wow.  Had not read up on this, interesting indeed.  Thanks for inserting into the convo.
(08-30-2016, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My comment had zero to do with gun control.

Well, you did mention gun violence.  Typically when you hear gun violence mentioned in the news, it's in regard to someone making a plea for more gun control.  And, to be clear, I'm speaking in general terms.  I'm ignoring the past two years worth of oppression on the police forces of American cities, for their perceived killing of unarmed Black men.  As we all know usually, but not always, the shootings are warranted.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-30-2016, 01:45 PM)treee Wrote: Not trying to start an argument here, but have you seen some of the discussions about the way the word Thug is used? If you haven't, I suggest you look into it. Is a very interesting perspective.

If I remember correctly, it was said that thug was just a way of saying black without saying it.  

(08-30-2016, 08:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If I remember correctly, it was said that thug was just a way of saying black without saying it.  

Not just Black, but oppositional to authority, completely given over to street culture, no regard for human life black.

Let's get it right..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-30-2016, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not just Black, but oppositional to authority, completely given over to street culture, no regard for human life black.

Let's get it right..
We should just go ahead and ban all words that have any negative connotation, as they're just going to end up being used by racists.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk