Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black markets formed in Schools for sugar, salt, and pepper.
http://freebeacon.com/issues/kids-create-salt-black-markets-in-cafeterias-due-to-michelle-obamas-lunch-rules/

Thanks Obama our kids are learning how to start underground commerce.
(06-24-2015, 06:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://freebeacon.com/issues/kids-create-salt-black-markets-in-cafeterias-due-to-michelle-obamas-lunch-rules/

Thanks Obama our kids are learning how to start underground commerce.
It also sounds like they are learning how to be wasteful.  Obama should mandate on high that separate bins be implemented in the schools so the little shits can donate the icky food that they are throwing away to hungry people.  Better yet he could parade through the hall with a bullhorn yelling "There are children starving in China... Eat your whole grain grits" 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
So Obama is promoting capitalism in our youth? Nice job, Prez. Though, I imagine it's cheaper to just buy a pair of salt and pepper shakers for like 4 bucks than whatever these guys are charging.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The belief that one small meal a day low in salt, fat and sugar will make the slightest difference in someone's health is part of the obesity problem in America. And it's unfortunate that kids will be associating healthy eating with the cheap, low quality, terrible food that is a school lunch.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(06-24-2015, 09:37 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The belief that one small meal a day low in salt, fat and sugar will make the slightest difference in someone's health is part of the obesity problem in America. And it's unfortunate that kids will be associating healthy eating with the cheap, low quality, terrible food that is a school lunch.

I disagree on the first part = 1 out of 3 healthy meals a day is pretty significant - it won't cure obesity, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Your second part is an excellent point I didn't think of.    But obesity is primarily a function of too many calories and not enough exercise.  Not to suggest junk calories aren't unhealthy, but their bigger issue is they don't fill us up and so we eat more calories.
(06-24-2015, 08:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So Obama is promoting capitalism in our youth? Nice job, Prez. Though, I imagine it's cheaper to just buy a pair of salt and pepper shakers for like 4 bucks than whatever these guys are charging.

Word on the street says that they're pilfering them from the local McD's, and selling them for .25 a pair.  Not too shabby, entrepreneurism.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Funny thing is they are depriving poor kids. Thanks obama.
(06-24-2015, 09:58 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I disagree on the first part = 1 out of 3 healthy meals a day is pretty significant - it won't cure obesity, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Your second part is an excellent point I didn't think of.    But obesity is primarily a function of too many calories and not enough exercise.  Not to suggest junk calories aren't unhealthy, but their bigger issue is they don't fill us up and so we eat more calories.

That's a point a lot of people miss. And for a lot of kids it's more than 1 in 3 meals. For many it's 1 in 2 and for some it's the only consistent meal they get throughout the week. And it's not just a poverty issue, sometimes it's just a practicality issue. More parents work, fewer families sit down to breakfast in the morning. Some don't sit down to dinner. And sometimes those dinners are far from anything close to a balanced diet.

There are more programs now that try to send food home with kids, but they usually have limited resources.

I was an education reporter back when a lot of the changes were mandated. I got a few calls each week with a parent complaining about the meals. And I didn't find one school where the kids were being fed bad food, just more fruits and vegetables and fewer fried foods. I eat lunch with my daughter at least once a month at her school and the food is always pretty good. 
Most free lunch kids get free breakfast as well . So it's 2 meals a day.
(06-25-2015, 12:32 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Most free lunch kids get* free breakfast as well .  So it's 2 meals a day**.

* the opportunity for
**  if they make it to school with time to eat.
So kids are allowed to bring their own lunches, but when they bring salt and pepper packets it is an outrage?

What a load of shit.

There has only been a 5% drop in participation because of the new requirements. Not exactly the end of the world.
(06-25-2015, 12:40 AM)Benton Wrote: * the opportunity for
**  if they make it to school with time to eat.

Schools I have taught we were always told to give them time.

But yeah I know what you mean .
(06-24-2015, 11:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Funny thing is they are depriving poor kids.   Thanks obama.

They are not depriving them of anything but unhealthy food.

Students would also probably rather read Superman comics and People Magazine than textbooks.  Should we allow that to decide what they get to read in classrooms?
(06-25-2015, 12:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They are not depriving them of anything but unhealthy food.

Students would also probably rather read Superman comics and People Magazine than textbooks.  Should we allow that to decide what they get to read in classrooms?

All school lunch food is fillers. Nothing nutritional about school lunch.
(06-24-2015, 09:58 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: But obesity is primarily a function of too many calories and not enough exercise.  Not to suggest junk calories aren't unhealthy, but their bigger issue is they don't fill us up and so we eat more calories.

I agree completely. It makes me think of the old "diet Coke with a super sized #1" joke. Replacing the 80 grams of sugar in a regular large Coke with eating more fries is getting you ahead.

My complaint with this healthy lunch program is that it won't make a difference in anyone's health. Especially if the kids aren't even eating it.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(06-25-2015, 08:28 AM)6andcounting Wrote: I agree completely. It makes me think of the old "diet Coke with a super sized #1" joke. Replacing the 80 grams of sugar in a regular large Coke with eating more fries is getting you ahead.

My complaint with this healthy lunch program is that it won't make a difference in anyone's health. Especially if the kids aren't even eating it.

That's me.  I like Diet Coke better, but sometimes i do feel a little foolish.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-25-2015, 12:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Schools I have taught we were always told to give them time.  

But yeah I know what you mean .

My community is rural. Some of the kids have an hour long bus ride and make it to school with just a minute or two before the bell rings. But it's a bit different every  where you go.
(06-25-2015, 12:32 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Most free lunch kids get free breakfast as well .  So it's 2 meals a day.

Gasp!  Feeding children!?  My lord, what would Jesus say about this travesty!
(06-25-2015, 12:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They are not depriving them of anything but unhealthy food.

I'm going to rep this post for being accurate, but also showing how far out of the pop-cultural loop you are.  I think you should have replaced Superman comics with "Candy CrusH" and "People Magazine" with "sexting each other during class."
(06-25-2015, 12:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: All school lunch food is fillers.   Nothing nutritional about school lunch.

Broccoli is not nutritional?