Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black monday is coming
(12-28-2020, 11:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Beating a Ravens team who handed us our worst loss of the season (we were shutout all game until the garbage time FG), are playing well, and for their playoff lives, would be somewhat of a statement game. Even more than beating the Steelers on MNF. It wouldn’t all of sudden make me think ZT is the guy that’s capable of turning us into Super Bowl contenders, but it will give me a little hope going forward since I think we’re stuck with him for awhile anyway. He will have finally beaten all 3 of the teams in our division (Cleveland last season) if he can pull this one off. And competing in the division should always be the main priority.

Agreed. We can either moan and complain about the winning and be miserable because ZT isn't going anywhere and we missed out on Sewell (which looks more likely he will go at 2 anyway), or just enjoy it and save the moaning and complaining for next year. 

There's the dead cat bounce and then there is beating 2 of the top teams in the AFC in your last three. I see a pretty big difference between last years finish against the imploding Browns, vs this year ESPECIALLY if we beat Bmore (still a long shot). I'm not a ZT believer, but I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:37 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Facts are 4-10-1 is better than 2-12-1 and 5-10-1 is better than 2-13-1. I'm not letting my dislike for our coach get in the way of enjoying winning. Go ahead and sulk in the corner because we are finally winning. I'll be over here much happier. 

It's weird you find believing Zach Taylor is not a good head coach and wanting to win are mutually exclusive. I can enjoy winning and still not think he's a coach that's going to take us anywhere.

I'm basing Zach on the past 31 games not the last 4 to end each season. Which somehow makes my data points worse...? Figure that one out. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: When winning hurts the bottom line yes..

Its good for the coaches if they learn from what they did here.... So far from year 1 to 2 we see some flashes but no consistancy.  but the roster will look different. maybe the coaching staff....

So who is the momentum for the fanbase? or is winning these last few games gonna make them draft better in the offseason?

Bottom line has not been hurt. ZT likely wasn't going anywhere, and there is no guarantee a new coach changed much because we all saw how much better we got after Marvin left.... but I'm not going to change your mind. Choosing to be miserable during a win is just asinine in my opinion, but maybe I'm just the crazy one. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:46 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Bottom line has not been hurt. ZT likely wasn't going anywhere, and there is no guarantee a new coach changed much because we all saw how much better we got after Marvin left.... but I'm not going to change your mind. Choosing to be miserable during a win is just asinine in my opinion, but maybe I'm just the crazy one. 

you cant speak in absolutes you do not know to be true. im not miserable either... So again stop pretending you know things you dont about things you dont
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you cant speak in absolutes you do not know to be true.

Its no different than saying the bottom line has been hurt, because you also have no idea what would have happened at the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:49 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Its no different than saying the bottom line has been hurt, because you also have no idea what would have happened at the end of the year.

Going from the #3 draft pick in each round to possibly #10 could be considered, by many, as hurting the bottom line. 

You trying to tell someone how they feel is definitely an absolute.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:45 AM)TheFan Wrote: It's weird you find believing Zach Taylor is not a good head coach and wanting to win are mutually exclusive. I can enjoy winning and still not think he's a coach that's going to take us anywhere.

I'm basing Zach on the past 31 games not the last 4 to end each season. Which somehow makes my data points worse...? Figure that one out. 

No you're being miserable. Your discrediting all the wins, whining calling the team trash in just about every post. That screams misery. But hey, you do you Fan. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:50 AM)TheFan Wrote: Going from the #3 draft pick in each round to possibly #10 could be considered, by many, as hurting the bottom line. 

But wait? We had the number 1 pick last year and according to you, are not any better, so why would the number 3 be any different? 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:50 AM)TheFan Wrote: Going from the #3 draft pick in each round to possibly #10 could be considered, by many, as hurting the bottom line. 

You trying to tell someone how they feel is definitely an absolute.

When all you do is complain about winning, you're showing how miserable you truly feel. So it's pretty evident. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:45 AM)TheFan Wrote: ....I can enjoy winning and still not think he's a coach that's going to take us anywhere.

I had to read this 3 times to understand that you meant...

"I can enjoy winning and still think he's a coach that's NOT going to take us anywhere."
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you cant speak in absolutes you do not know to be true. im not miserable either... So again stop pretending you know things you dont about things you dont

If you're talking about what the Bengals would do at the end of the season, neither one us of truly know so its really no different. 

If you're talking about me calling you miserable. I will rephrase. You APPEAR to be miserable because of the winning. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:53 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: When all you do is complain about winning, you're showing how miserable you truly feel. So it's pretty evident. 

Again, using absolutes. "All you do"...is that really true? Have you really read ALL of my posts on this forum? 

The Bengals are 6-24-1 in the past 2 seasons. That's trash in my book. I'm going to stop responding here though because you clearly don't have the ability to see other peoples points of view and believe you're omniscient. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:57 AM)TheFan Wrote: Again, using absolutes. "All you do"...is that really true? Have you really read ALL of my posts on this forum? 

The Bengals are 6-24-1 in the past 2 seasons. That's trash in my book. I'm going to stop responding here though because you clearly don't have the ability to see other peoples points of view and believe your omniscient. 

Okay, cool. 
Reply/Quote
Coaching staffs come in four varieties:

1. Playoff capable.
2. 8-8 capable.
3. Able to improve a terrible team.
4. Complete trash.

Right now the Bengals’ coaching staff is about 3 1/2 on this scale.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 10:43 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Turner would be the only one I absolutely think needs to go.  However, my reasoning for giving Lou another year (injuries, making lemonade out of lemons kinda thing) may also apply to Turner.  I know he's getting mega-heat from all, myself included, for MJ,  but I think around the league OL coaches do try and develop players that don't always pan out.  Adenji really hasn't looked all that bad for a rookie, and Turner has shown the ability to setup different OLines each week it seems to try and fix it.  It'd be one thing if we sent the very same line out each week, but we really haven't I don't think?  I think MJ was sadly his best option at the time, but as ya'll see we ain't startin MJ now.

Honestly I know Turner is a crappy person but the line has been playing solid recently so does he really need to go? Lou on the other hand...
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 10:12 AM)Bigcatfan Wrote: Well it's the end of the season, just one more game to get through, and its going to be a rivalry game against the Ravens. Ravens need this win to make it in the playoffs, we could win and be spoilers for them. Any win is good, but when it comes to knocking out other divisional teams out of the playoffs its a great thing. Then comes the dreaded firing day for many coaches. Is there any expected coaches exiting the facilities after the season wraps up?

Hopefully Taylor and his pals he brought with him will be exiting the building for good. If this were any other NFL franchise that is what would be happening win or lose against the Ravens.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Coaching staffs come in four varieties:

1.  Playoff capable.
2.  8-8 capable.
3.  Able to improve a terrible team.
4.  Complete trash.

I like the way this posts lays it out.  As we have won the past couple games, my bigger concern than draft position was that it increases the likelihood that we keep ZT, which already seemed pretty likely.  

Based on his full body of work, I think he maxes out at 2, even with Joe Burrow.  I just don't see him as a playoff/super bowl caliber HC based on his first 2 years. I think the sooner we move on the better, so we don't waste too much of Joe Burrow's rookie contract.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Coaching staffs come in four varieties:

1.  Playoff capable.
2.  8-8 capable.
3.  Able to improve a terrible team.
4.  Complete trash.

I would add another tier - perennial contender
It's one thing to be playoff capable, but it's another to consistently push for conference championship games year after year.

Marvin Lewis was playoff capable, but he wasn't quite good enough to push for true contending year after year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would add another tier - perennial contender
It's one thing to be playoff capable, but it's another to consistently push for conference championship games year after year.

Marvin Lewis was playoff capable, but he wasn't quite good enough to push for true contending year after year.

Hmm...perennial contenders?

Andy Reid
Pete Carroll
Sean Payton
Bill Belichick
John Harbaugh
Mike Tomlin

That’s a pretty short list (unless I missed someone).

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hmm...perennial contenders?

Andy Reid
Pete Carroll
Sean Payton
Bill Belichick
John Harbaugh
Mike Tomlin

That’s a pretty short list (unless I missed someone).

I agree it's a short list, but it's still a tier above playoff capable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote