Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocked XP
(09-11-2022, 09:02 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yes, Burrow had maybe the worst game of his life today. I think he underestimates not playing in the pre-season and my dad didn't know he had an appendectomy and commented that he looked light, he's not 100% yet (weight wise), how much that affects him I don't know, some of those picks were not as accurate as we've come to know Burrow though. Not playing in the pre-season is Zac Taylor, maybe Zac will learn next year.

Higgins going out early hurt.

yes, and yes. Burrow had a serious enough injury that he was kept out of practice a few weeks, lost weight, and had to rebuild his strength. I'm not even sure he was 100% to play in the preseason.

Higgins going out early hurt. No question. And watching his sub drop a sure TD was painful to watch.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, same. I don't think there was indisputable evidence to overturn the call 

Im pretty sure I heard on one of the post game shows  the league officiating office has said if the call had been challenged it would have been ruled a touchdown 
Reply/Quote
I blame the missed XP more on Sample than I do the slow snap. Sample needs to block the innermost guy because he’s more of a direct threat than the outside guy. He blocked the outside guy and only put a lame arm on Fitzpatrick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 06:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Was the snap really bad? Looked ok to me.

Seemed more like no one blocked Fitzpatrick.

No ne blocked the guy regardless of what anyone says.  You've GOT to get a hand of the guy, esp woth someone with Fitz speed.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 10:30 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I blame the missed XP more on Sample than I do the slow snap. Sample needs to block the innermost guy because he’s more of a direct threat than the outside guy. He blocked the outside guy and only put a lame arm on Fitzpatrick.

Slow snap?  Seriously we are talking tenths of a second differnece.  Fitz simply had an unabated path to the kicker.  Noone touched him.  It is what it is....That blocked FG was the fault of whoever was responsible for getting a hand on Fitz regardless of who anyone tries to blame.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:21 PM)notoriusdiggity Wrote: Im pretty sure I heard on one of the post game shows  the league officiating office has said if the call had been challenged it would have been ruled a touchdown 

I guess it could be, I've just always thought the ball has to cross the plane, and to my eyes, I didn't think there was a view that showed that definitively.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: I guess it could be, I've just always thought the ball has to cross the plane, and to my eyes, I didn't think there was a view that showed that definitively.

I didn't know the foot rule too.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 10:43 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: Slow snap?  Seriously we are talking tenths of a second differnece.  Fitz simply had an unabated path to the kicker.  Noone touched him.  It is what it is....That blocked FG was the fault of whoever was responsible for getting a hand on Fitz regardless of who anyone tries to blame.

That would be Mr. “elite blocker” Drew Sample. Also known as one of my least favorite Bengals draft picks ever.

(09-12-2022, 12:24 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I guess it could be, I've just always thought the ball has to cross the plane, and to my eyes, I didn't think there was a view that showed that definitively.

The more pics and angles I see online, the more I think it was a TD.

[Image: FcazPe1WIAEf1YG?format=jpg&name=large]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 08:31 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That is true.....not a very veteran play by a, well, veteran.

To be fair to a Huber, he isn’t exactly used to getting bad snaps

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 08:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The snap was an issue. It took 3 days to get back to the holder. Watch any NFL game and you'll see how close every PAT comes to being blocked. 

We're talking fractions of a second here. It's why LS is a specialty. 

The snap was nowhere near as big an issue on that play as the failure to block Fitzpatrick. The snap could've teleported the ball to the holder and they'd have had a shot at blocking it. I know you can't block everyone on that play, but Fitzpatrick doesn't even run around the block.... just straight to the kick.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would be Mr. “elite blocker” Drew Sample. Also known as one of my least favorite Bengals draft picks ever.

The more pics and angles I see online, the more I think it was a TD.

[Image: FcazPe1WIAEf1YG?format=jpg&name=large]

Sure looks like from that angle.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 05:39 AM)pally Wrote: To be fair to a Huber, he isn’t  exactly used to getting bad snaps

That's true....but he's gotta be more situationally aware after this many years playing.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 06:00 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: The snap was nowhere near as big an issue on that play as the failure to block Fitzpatrick. The snap could've teleported the ball to the holder and they'd have had a shot at blocking it. I know you can't block everyone on that play, but Fitzpatrick doesn't even run around the block.... just straight to the kick.

If Harris is in, even unblocked, Fitz doesn't block that kick. 

Adeniji did fail by not getting his arm out and trying to slow him down a little, but that's not as big of a problem because with a normal snap, that kick doesn't get blocked. He barely got his hands on it with his arms fully outstretched. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Sure looks like from that angle.

That is, without question, a touchdown.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:57 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That is, without question, a touchdown.

Yep.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:10 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If you watch the replay in slo-mo,you’ll find that the holder,as a result of a high snap,didn’t have time to turn the laces on the football,resulting in him
Kicking the laces on the right side,causing it to shank left.

This is what I saw during the replay. I literally screamed Ray Finkle when it happened lol
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Harris is in, even unblocked, Fitz doesn't block that kick. 

Adeniji did fail by not getting his arm out and trying to slow him down a little, but that's not as big of a problem because with a normal snap, that kick doesn't get blocked. He barely got his hands on it with his arms fully outstretched. 

Possibly not no, but this is really semantics at this point tbh. The team should be going into that kick with the knowledge that the snap could be off, and the blocking therefore needs to be good. It would have been something had it been the outside guy running around our blocks who got there, but it was Fitzpatrick not far off just going up the middle and blocking it.

The snap wasn't perfect, but that was more likely to be expected. Letting Fitzpatrick have a straight run at it was just a basic blocking assignment missed. To me that's a way bigger let down than the snap being slightly slower, because it's so basic and wasn't impacted by injury drop-off.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: I guess it could be, I've just always thought the ball has to cross the plane, and to my eyes, I didn't think there was a view that showed that definitively.

They're allowed to combine views if they have one shot of where the ball is and one shot of where his foot is, they can combine the info. They don't have to have just one conclusive vid. 

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The way I understand it, the ball has to break the plane. It was super close, and i would have personally challenged it, but I’m not sure it would have been overturned.

It goes back to germaine gresham vs the Ravens. In order for the ball breaking the plane of the ez to work, both feet have to be down in the field of play and the receiver has to be considered a runner. That was more with the old rule of "completing the catch through the ground" though. 

If he's straddling, has one foot down inbounds in the ez and one in the field of play, it's a catch and where the ball is in that moment is what is relevant. 

He had one foot in the ez (if i recall corretly, i'm kind of going off memory now) and one in the fop. the ball was crossing the ez when he had control so it should have been a td. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's true....but he's gotta be more situationally aware after this many years playing.

Yeah, he's been around long enough. He should have known to just hang on to it. It put a little less on, but still some, on Shooter. He can see the snap with his peripheral and he can tell when the ball is put down on time or not. He could have just not kicked it and lived for another down as well. 

I'd love to be a fly in the special teams room today because you know Simmons has that play queued up and has some words for both of them. 

Reply/Quote